Thread: Forgot passphrase of persistent knoppix-data.aes but know possible passwords!

Exclamation Forgot passphrase of persistent knoppix-data.aes but know possible passwords!

Hello good people

I used to use a usb bootable Knoppix 7.0 with an encrypted knoppix-data.aes for online banking, bitcoin wallet and private docs and passwords, I tried logging in again after over a year but its not the passphrase I thought it was.

I urgently need to verify the password as there is a time limit to do with the issue another issue at hand (I can explain whats going on in a subsequent reply, but I wont lengthen my first post here).

The passphrase is a combination of shorter passwords I have used in the past and I know 100% the first password. I have successfully generated a dictionary text file with 600 combinations of the passphrase but I don't know how to proceed in trying them out automated, hashcat?

If I was to use hashcat I would need the password hash? I've searched but I don't have any idea how to obtain the hash from knoppix-data.aes

I feel pretty silly I thought I knew the password and now time is ticking, I'd really appreciate any advice, thanks.

update: I've been speaking to a couple of helpful people on irc and it was suggested I type I
    while read pass; do echo "$pass" | losetup -p 0 -e aes -k 256 /dev/loop2 knoppix-data.aes && echo $pass worked && break; done < /your/password/file.txt
    I did this and got the terminal to return workedr78977897 78977897 is not the correct password though

Member registered user
    here is a script that I use to check and repair the file system in a knoppix-data.aes :

losetup /dev/loop7 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.aes
    cryptsetup --cipher aes --key-size 256 --hash ripemd160 create cryp2knop /dev/loop7
    fsck.ext4 -y -v /dev/mapper/cryp2knop
    sync
    cryptsetup remove cryp2knop
    losetup -d /dev/loop7

maybe you can use the cryptsetup in a loop similar to yours to use the password file.