Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is Knoppix V7.6 almost ready?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Mewtamer View Post
    As long as I'm doing a micro remaster to make Adriane the default boot option, would it be safe to remove knoppix1 from the DVD before rebuilding the iso if I have no need for FreeCAD or Blender?
    Hello, Jeffery.
    I think you could omit KNOPPIX1, but that will only free-up 350-or-so Megabytes.

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    that will only free-up 350-or-so Megabytes.
    To clarify ...
    Actually, KNOPPIX1 only takes up 113 Mb on /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX1 of the boot medium storage.
    If you were to have FreeCAD and Blender in ram at the same time, that might use 350 Mb of ram.

Well, my first attempt at rebuilding the DVD iso to boot in Adriane by default was a bust. Got as far as the "Initializing Boot Sequence"(or whatever the message is) being spoken, but the Adriane menu never loads(or if it does, speech never starts)(Actually, are the spoken startup and shutdown messages exclusive to Adriane mode, or do they play even booting normal knoppix?). I think the problem is that I either didn't alter /boot/isolinux/*cfg correctly(I left the one that has default auto near the top unaltered and changed the ones with default knoppix near the top to default adriane(related question: is there something I can replace default knoppix64 with that will both boot in Adriane mode and with a 64-bit kernel?)) or the removal of knoppix1 broke something. Might take a look at /boot/isolinux/*.cfg on my Adriane 7.4.2 DVD to see if I altered the default auto line there. but seriously, is there a less convoluted way of making small alterations to an iso image from the terminal than: sudo mount -o loop the image cp the contents to a folder on a writable filesystem chmod the files to be altered to restore write permissions Edit the files rebuild the image with genisoimage

Hello, Jeffery.

There are two isos you might have used, one is for adriane as default, and one is not.
    Both have spoken introduction and shut-down messages.
    The non-adriane version will start-up in adriane if you use input 'knoppix adriane' at the boot prompt;
    you don't need to edit th cfg file to get into adriane mode.

It's going to be a long hard slog for you making a CD version out of the DVD.
    Somewhere along the line you may delete some code needed by one of the programs you want to keep.
    It might help for you to petition Klaus K personally to see when you might expect a bona fide Knoppix 7.6 LiveCD.

Moderator Moderator
    I think the problem is that I either didn't alter /boot/isolinux/*cfg correctly(I left the one that has default auto near the top unaltered
    Hello Jeffery!

At the end of
    http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix760-en.html
    you'll find
    <cite>
    Boot options like "adriane" can easily be preset by changing syslinux.cfg after having copied the CD to a bootable memorystick using "flash-knoppix": Update: Computers without DVD driveChange the upper line
    DEFAULT auto
    to:
    DEFAULT adriane
    for automatically starting ADRIANE on boot. This is already default in all ADRIANE iso files.
    </cite>

Why do you use this painful way to rebuild the image with genisoimage instead of doing a Flash install. Within the link i've mentioned above you can also see at the position
    Update: Computers without DVD drive
    how to do the Flash install using tje command line.

I don't know if either of my computers have their Bios configured to allow booting from the SD slot(incase of my Laptop) or a SD card in a USB adapter(in case of my Desktop), but if the new Flash-Knoppix is available from the repositories, I might try testing my most recent rebuild of the iso via that method. Basically, what I've been doing so far has been me trying to repeat my success at making a 7.4.2 DVD that boots in Adriane by default having no idea that the needed knowledge to make the change had been put in the release notes or that tools had been release that could allow some to skip the hassle of rebuilding the iso(still, I know a CD/DVD works as a boot medium on both my computers, I don't know if an SD card will work for either).

Hi, Jeffery.

If you tell us the make and model of your computer(s) we can probably find out
    if they have usb or SD card capability. Windows 7 laptops, for example, have both capabilities.
    For these, one needs to re-arrange the order of media selected for boot to favor usb or
    SD over CD or HDD.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire of I forget the model number whose pre-installed Win8 was nuked to make room for a hard-drive install of Knoppix 7.4.2. It lacks a built-in optical drive, but I was able to talk a less technically inclined person through configuring it so I could boot from an external optical drive. The desktop is a hand-me-down Junker so old it has no Sata ports and lacks a monitor a sighted person could use to assist with altering bios settings, but already favored the optical drive when it came into my possession. It is new enough that it has a multi-card reader built-in instead of a 3.5" floppy drive though the card reader has never worked properly. Not sure what version the borked Windows install I nuked to put Knoppix on it was. Though, what I really need is a method for either installing a screen reader into bios or configuring the bios from within the Linux terminal because trying to talk someone who doesn't know what phrases like "boot order", "legacy boot", and "secure boot" mean through putting a optical drive above the harddrive is hard enough and there are some screwy things with this laptop that make me wish I could go through all the bios options(for example, it won't fully power-off when I issue the halt command which also prevents the reboot command from working properly, and the default configuration lacks a means of turning the monitor off that doesn't turn it back on with the next key press). Sorry for the irrelevant ranting, I just miss the days when Bios defaults didn't seem hostile to Linux users.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Mewtamer View Post
    The laptop is an Acer Aspire of I forget the model number whose pre-installed Win8 was nuked to make room for a hard-drive install of Knoppix 7.4.2. It lacks a built-in optical drive, but I was able to talk a less technically inclined person through configuring it so I could boot from an external optical drive.
    Hello, Jeffery. I presume the external optical drive is connected to a usb port.
    Also, I note ACER Aspires often have as many as three usb ports.
    From this I wonder if you might consider using a LiveUSB Knoppix rather than a hard-drive install.

I poked around to try and help uncover your Model Number for the ...

I poked around to try and help uncover your Model Number for the awesome folk here to know what you are working with. The support area at http://global-download.acer.com/Supp...?LC=en&BC=Acer shows an example white tag on the bottom of the computer. It has a bar code on that tag that might be read with a Q-cat or equivalent. Thought I would mention it, in case you have a Q-cat or some kind of Scanner you could use to get the Serial Nr. and SSID on here and that ought to lead to the other pertinent data about your computer? IF that S/N and SSID are NOT PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE information? Someone else may want to advise on that part. Just a thought from the sidelines here.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast