Thread: Accessing shared Windows Printer via CUPS

Accessing shared Windows Printer via CUPS

I have come back to Knoppix after some time. I like 7.6.0, but I can't connect to my wired network printer. The server is Windows 10. I know that I need to give the server a username and password. I know what these are, but I don't know where to make them visible. Other distros provide a GUI interface for that; please help.

Moderator Moderator
    If Windows offers the print service, you have to configure it within Windows.

Knoppix is the client. You can look for printers within your LAN using Menu → Preferences → Print Settings and there → Network Printer → Find Network Printer

Thanks for the quick reply. Windows is set up to share the printer, and it's easily found by my Linux (Knoppix) computer. My problem is that I don't know how to supply the ID and password to authorize the printing. Somewhere, I suspect, is a configuration file into which the password can be inserted.

Senior Member registered user
    Hi!

I would try Menu -> Preferences -> Print Settings and then click on the button 'Add' to add a new printer. In the dialog window I would select 'Windows Printer via SAMBA' and enter the 'SMB Printer'. There is also an option to provide the authentication details.

I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    Hi!

I would try Menu -> Preferences -> Print Settings and then click on the button 'Add' to add a new printer. In the dialog window I would select 'Windows Printer via SAMBA' and enter the 'SMB Printer'. There is also an option to provide the authentication details.

I hope that helps.
    Thanks klaus2008. That was easy. I guess I tried to configure directly from CUPS and didn't have an opportunity to supply the ID and password.