Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: knoppification debian live cd +

I have managed to get working iso. (with little error)
    all steps:
    boot knoppix 7.6 and create standard remastering enviroment
    mount sqush fs from debian live lxde and copy all files to /source
    copy all necessary files from knoppix7.6 to master
    edit /etc/resolv.conf and add dns
    copy /etc/apt/sources.list from knoppix to source

chroot to source
    install from knoppix repo or after dpkg-repack from knoppix 7.6 : linux-kernel, linux-headers, knoppix-networkmanager, restartx, knoppix-udev-config, lxlock-knoppix, netcardconfig-knoppix, ntfs-mount-knoppix, usleep-knoppix, cgroup-remove-knoppix, wlcard-config, scanpartitions-knoppix, rebuildfstab-knoppix
    install from standard repos: sysvinit-core, network-manager,network-manager-gnome, metacity plus execute command: update-alternatives --config x-window-manager, linux-firmware free and all non free, udisk
    uninstall all others kerenls and headers, wicd and what you want

copy from knoppix 7.6 to source: /sbin/hwsetup, /sbin/mkxorgconfig, /lib/udev/devices, /etc/init.d/knoppix*, etc/X11/xsession.d/45knoppix and comment out lines about orca which cause error in xsession, etc/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor, /etc: sudoers,inittab,hosts, hostname, all files in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions

migrate user like described here http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-m...to-new-server/ and copy /home/knoppix
    edit /etc/group and add knoppix to groups like in knoppix 7.6

create iso

system boots, all is working, I can shutdown with lxde interface
    One thing I can't fix, is popup widnow after lxde desktop appears "no session for pid:" and number of lxpolkit pid.
    No solution found in internet helped for this issue.

Senior Member registered user
    I have a feeling that starting from debootstrap might provide a simpler and safer way, using the Debian live tools where they fit in. I went by a route similar to the one used here myself some years ago, making a 64 bits version of Knoppix 6.4.4. But then I had to modify minirt.gz. IMHO, the most important part of the current approach is handling all the Knoppix goodies with Debian package tools. That might also be a stepping stone towards a reproducible 64 bits version. The case for knoppifying Debian live may have become stronger the last year.

The popups about PID&sessions is something cropping up after changing from systemd to sysvinit in Debian Jessie. Not too serious, but if we start from a debootstrap created version using sysvinit, I think everything may be safer and simpler - and modifying debootstrap to knxbootstrap would make life even easier for us... Using 7.6.1 minirt.gz unchanged, I would guess this becomes a 32/64 bits hybrid system?

Example debootstrap minimal version to work from

This vmdebootstrap command will set up a minimal Debian Jessie in a 4GB image file, with networking, sudo, the usual Debian live user and ready for running in kvm:

Code:
    sudo vmdebootstrap --image net_test.img --size 4g --enable-dhcp  --sudo --user=user/live --log test.log --log-level debug --verbose
    It gives a login console, from where one may proceed. The necessary packages for running a minimal X11 environment in kvm seem to be:
    X11-server-utils, Xorg, xserver-xorg-video-cirrus, xfce4, xfwm4.
    In addition, I have installed editors, iceweasel, rxvt-unicode (terminal urxvt), curl, ssh etc. Compressed, it will be about 350MB.
    It is easily booted in kvm
    Code:
    sudo kvm net_test.img -m 1024 &
    And X is started with old startx.

Instead of running (vm)deboostrap several times, this image can be copied and modified. E.g. changing to sysvinit and introducing Knoppix packages. When a robust procedure is found for this, debootstrap can be modified (to "knxbootstrap") to produce exactly what is needed.

It can also be used for making a squashfs image - but I haven't seen form the sparse documentation how to do this after the initial image creating process.

I have found that the documentation for debootstrap/vmdebootstrap is not very good, and my initial attempt at applying marlas' recipe to a debootstrap version failed. It is very hard to find out where and why.
    So, with so much information missing, I think it may be better to go backwards, starting from lxde-Debian live. Also running Knoppix with persistent store under kvm in Debian 8.3 seems to be unsafe at any speed, under Debian 7.6 it is much safer. Lots of bugs around...

Small script to automate the repackaging step of knoppification

There are quite a few Knoppix packages involved, with a small minority installable from repos.
    Here is a small script, called knoppify_deb_1.sh, for faster and safer creation of packages. It creates a list of all installed packages in subdirectory knxdata, using dpkg-query, and uses that list.

It creates the full list of knoppix-branded packages that may be created this way in directory deb - with no guarantee of usability
    I try with arch=all first - to see how it works out.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # 20160327 
    # Usage
    # sudo ./knoppify_deb_1.sh create package-list-1
    # sudo ./knoppify_deb_1.sh create package-list-2
    # sudo ./knoppify_deb_1.sh repackage knoppix-debs
    #
    function repackage_knoppix() {
        command=$1; shift;
        operand=$1; shift;
         [ -d knxdata ] || mkdir knxdata ;

case "${command} ${operand}" in

"create package-list-1") 
            dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Section} ${Package}\n' | sort -n > knxdata/knx761_DVD_sect1.txt ;
            ;;

"create package-list-2")
            dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Section} ${Package} ${Installed-Size}\n' | sort -n > knxdata/knx761_DVD_sect2.txt ;
            ;;

"repackage knoppix-debs") 
            [ -d deb ] || mkdir deb ;
            cd deb ;
            dpkg-repack -arch=all `cat ../knxdata/knx761_DVD_sect1.txt | grep ^knoppix | cut -d' ' -f2` ;
            cd .. ;
            ;;

*) echo oops - no executable command

;;

esac

}

repackage_knoppix $1 $2 ;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12