Thread: (ask) knoppix on flash drive

(ask) knoppix on flash drive

sorry if there had been the same post.

I've flash drive Toshiba 8Gb with Knoppix 7.2 live CD and I set 5Gb to persistant file.

Why do I always fail when install new applications?
    What the live cd can not install new applications? while the command "apt -get update" can be done.

is there a list of repository for knoppix?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

Moderator Moderator
    It's very hard to upgrade something within Knoppix and sometimes impossible. Knoppix is a Live DVD with a mishmash of stable, testing, unstable, experimental, squeeze. wheezy, sid. All of the 7.2 CD moved in the meantime since summer 2013 to the next level: stable → oldstable, testing → stable and so on. Also many of knoppix-debian have now newer versions.

Why not take the new version 7.6.1 DVD?

I think knoppix CD version 7.2 is very simple.

what Knoppix 7.6 DVD can use the same persistant file as the version 7.2 CD?

Moderator Moderator
    No, you'll get trouble doing so. Make a backup of your personal data (documents, pictures and so on) and create a new persistence file/partiton.

ok, thanks for your explanation.

Until now I'm still using Knoppix 7.2 to my 8Gb Flash drive with 3,5Gb to persistant file, the rest for my files.

Now I can install multiple applications in knoppix 7.2: google chrome, WPS Office, wine. Applications are still lacking such as Adobe InDesign and CorelDraw, I use them for work.

I.ve 1 Laptop with bad sector hardisk (very2 bad and can not be used again), 2 Flash drive (1 for Hirens boot and 1 for Knoppix), and I can still work with them.

Senior Member registered user
    If you start anew from Knoppix 7.6.1 DVD and ca 3GB persistent store, you might solve most of your problems for now and a couple of years ahead: You still fit everything within 8GB, you don't need to install so much, you don't have to do so much upgrading, and you have room for installing new applications - which, on the average, will be much more compatible with 7.6.1 than 7.2. (But I have also had to stay with an old version because tools like VMware Workstation didn't run with the new Knoppix.)
    BTW, in some cases, bad sectors on hard disks can be mapped out, but personally, I just swap the hard disk for a new one as soon as a problem emerges.