Hello, everyone. I am new to Knoppix and the forum but not UNIX/Linux. I am trying to respect everyone's time and have read the FAQ and searched the forums and the Internet using a wide variety of keywords to try to find the answer myself with no luck. I am posting as a last resort. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Dell R900 with 128GB of RAM but no disks (I can't afford to buy any at this time). I created a Knoppix 7.6.1 Live USB drive using these instructions but when I booted up the system was consuming 64GB RAM in rootfs, which is not only overkill but makes it impossible to do the graph visualization that prompted this setup in the first place because I need every last MB of RAM for the Java VM. I searched around and discovered the ramdisk_size parameter and modified syslinux.cfg, syslnx32.cfg, and syslnx64.cfg to add "ramdisk_size=2097152" (which I understand to mean 2GB) to the APPEND statements using these instructions. Knoppix is still consuming 64GB in the rootfs no matter what permutations I try, and I'm up into the dozens of attempts at this point. There was a recent post that might be related to my problem but there is no definitive answer in that thread. I do not see any other cheat codes that might be applicable. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.