Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Knoppix 7.7

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    142

    Knoppix 7.7

    Knoppix 7.7, Linux Magazine Edition, released in conjunction with the CeBIT 2016 Exhibition, can be found on the April Edition (No. 185) of the UK version of Linux Magazine.

    Before anyone starts jumping up and down demanding the public edition should be available for download it is as well to remember that past experience is that the .1 public edition does not usually appear till later, (maybe as late as September). The benefit of the wait is you get some bugs fixed. Klaus Knopper releases when he is ready.

    This year's CeBIT release is somewhat larger than usual, stretching to TWO extra KNOPPIX files. This is because it includes several CAD programs. These do NOT appear on public releases of Knoppix.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings ICPUG.
    It's clear that there seems sure enough to be a Knoppix 7.7 out there, but I can't tell if you actually have the DVD image yourself.
    If you do, please tell us the details on getting this image; that is, how? By mail, by download, or what?
    The Linux Magazine offer looks to me like just a pdf (text) relating to 7.7, no mention of the iso image.
    I hope you can clear this up for us.
    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    It's clear that there seems sure enough to be a Knoppix 7.7 out there
    On closer inspection what I'm seeing looks more like partly-edited 2015 CeBIT Knoppix 7.6 material
    possibly being edited in anticipation of a March 2016 CeBIT offering.
    Why it's on-line in its current state now is not clear .

    BFQ kernel mod certainly looks interesting.
    Ads don't mention libc6 problem correction.
    Perhaps, except for minor version upgrades, we may expect these to be the really new things in 7.7.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    142
    Hi Utu,

    As is always the case with the Linux Magazine /CeBIT edition of Knoppix what is released is the Live DVD that would be formed if you burnt the iso to DVD. The iso itself is not made available as far as I am aware. You buy the magazine - you get the DVD - you boot up with it and go.

    If your German is up to scratch more details are here:
    http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix770.html

    My German is non-existant but I can see from that page that 7.7 uses a later version of the linux kernel than 7.6. Then there is the additional software I mentioned in this 'exclusive' CeBIT edition.
    Last edited by ICPUG; 03-18-2016 at 01:41 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks for the info, I think I've got this figured out finally.

    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG View Post
    As is always the case with the Linux Magazine /CeBIT edition of Knoppix what is released is the Live DVD that would be formed if you burnt the iso to DVD. The iso itself is not made available as far as I am aware. You buy the magazine - you get the DVD - you boot up with it and go.
    It's important to note that Linux Magazine is a European pub. The same issue in Linux Pro Magazine has a different , non-Knoppix DVD offering.

    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG View Post
    If your German is up to scratch more details are here:
    http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix770.html

    Here the German page describes 7.7, but the English page describes 7.6.
    This may be because there seems to be no English Knoppix CeBIT sessions scheduled.

    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG View Post
    My German is non-existant but I can see from that page that 7.7 uses a later version of the linux kernel than 7.6. Then there is the additional software I mentioned in this 'exclusive' CeBIT edition.
    The 7.7 3d stuff is probably the same as in 7.6.
    I expect the really new stuff in 7.7 other than current version upgrades of everything, are the following:
    BFQ kernel patch, a new backup program, and behind the scenes, an upgraded libc6 to get around its
    long-standing vulnerability.
    If I'm right, only the BFQ stuff interests me; but, I really wonder if BFQ has anything to offer in a single-user situation.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Here is a little update on the CeBIT Knoppix offering:
    http://www.linux-magazin.de/Ausgaben...4/Knoppix-7.7#

    Google translate does handle this page if you highlight its text a paragraph at a time
    and click the big 'T' icon to do the translation. It mentions the libc situation in two places.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG View Post
    Hi Utu,

    As is always the case with the Linux Magazine /CeBIT edition of Knoppix what is released is the Live DVD that would be formed if you burnt the iso to DVD. The iso itself is not made available as far as I am aware. You buy the magazine - you get the DVD - you boot up with it and go.

    If your German is up to scratch more details are here:
    http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix770.html

    My German is non-existant but I can see from that page that 7.7 uses a later version of the linux kernel than 7.6. Then there is the additional software I mentioned in this 'exclusive' CeBIT edition.
    Google Translate does a fairly decent English translation. The big promise for me is better UEFI handling, support for fast high-capacity flash cards would be nice too, after all these years.... Too bad it costs 8.5 Euros plus shipping to get the DVD with the April issue. Shipping to Switzerland is 4.5 Euros. You need to e-mail computec@dpv.de to find out how much shipping will cost outside Europe.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by otropogo View Post
    how much shipping will cost outside Europe.
    It looks like the April Linux Pro (print, not digital) Magazine _may_ have a Knoppix 7.7 DVD in it.
    Our newsstand for March Linux Pro did not have the CeBIT DVD that the European March edition had.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    38

    The DVD Knoppix 7.7.0 comes with the printed copy of Linux Pro Magazine April 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Greetings ICPUG.
    It's clear that there seems sure enough to be a Knoppix 7.7 out there, but I can't tell if you actually have the DVD image yourself.
    If you do, please tell us the details on getting this image; that is, how? By mail, by download, or what?
    The Linux Magazine offer looks to me like just a pdf (text) relating to 7.7, no mention of the iso image.
    I hope you can clear this up for us.
    Thanks.
    The DVD Knoppix 7.7.0 comes with the printed copy of Linux Pro Magazine April 2016,
    I got mine within 2 days after purchasing the printed copy #185 April 2016 edition. They have an office in the United States of America, I think it's in Kansas USA. Very fast delivery. The DVD will be attached to the magazine's printed pages. $12.99 US Dollars.
    If you want the Knoppix 7.7 DVD, order the PRINTED copy because the DIGITAL copy does NOT provide the Knoppix 7.7 OS, only the PRINTED copy does! I Google searched for Linux Magazine April 2016 and finally navigated to the ordering page. I had to do some searching after I got on the Linux Magazine page but you will find it in there.
    Last edited by buymystock; 08-03-2016 at 07:56 AM. Reason: capitalization needed to be added on the word "Google"

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    38

    web URL to purchase printed copy of Linux Pro Magazine with Knoppix 7.7 DVD attached


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •