Thread: How do I get a full output of "lspci -v" ? (Can't see HDD)

How do I get a full output of "lspci -v" ? (Can't see HDD)

Hello, I bought Knoppix USB (and am learning Linux) with a view to reformatting an old Windows 7 laptop HDD. Knoppix booted up fine from the USB stick but can't see the HDD. This might be because it can't see it, but alternateively it could simply be that I don't know where to look on the Knoppix GUI, being new to Linux. I can't see any levels "above" or "outside" the Knoppix. The laptop mouse seems to work fine.

I see the forum instruction, for those who cannot see hardware to 'post a full output of "lspci -v" ' but I don't know what that means. Can anyone give me a reference for instructions on this point?

Thanks for your help.

The 'lspci -v' command is run in a terminal. It will list your processors, nothing else.

When you run GParted (from Menu > Preferences), do you see your hard drive partitions? If yes, what is the Information provided by GParted when you right-click on each of them?

This thread should rather be in General Support.

----
    Done!
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 12-14-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    The 'lspci -v' command is run in a terminal. It will list your processors, nothing else.

When you run GParted (from Menu > Preferences), do you see your hard drive partitions? If yes, what is the Information provided by GParted when you right-click on each of them?
    Thanks for your help philo. In fact I think your question may have made the penny drop.

I can see the partitions just fine using GParted. There are 3 plus an "unallocated" residue of 1.34MB.
    2 show as ntfs ( "SYSTEM_DRV" ( /dev/sda1 ) and "Lenovo_Recovery" (/dev/sda3 ) )
    The other, /dev/sda2, has file system "unknown". This is 281GB and is surely the old C: that I disk-encrypted using Truecrypt. (And whose password I forgot :O )

But I see when I right-click on any partition that amongst other options I can "Reformat to" any one of a long list of formats.

Presumably I can just do that to the old 281GB Truecrypt partition and Reformat to (say) ext4, and then install a Linux system like ubuntu onto that partition?

Many thanks again for your help.