Thread: Is it a mistake to leave scripts in /etc/init.d that I dont want to run at boot time?

Is it a mistake to leave scripts in /etc/init.d that I dont want to run at boot time?

I have Knoppix installed on my hard disc (distro 7.0.2, kernel release 3.3.7.).

Could you please tell me if ALL scripts in the directory /etc/init.d/ are
    executed at boot time?

The reason I ask is because I have altered (intelligently) one or two of the
    standard scripts that are in /etc/init.d/, such as

/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig.

But before I altered them, I kept a copy of the originals in /etc/init.d/, and
    in the above case the copies I kept are

/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx-ORIG
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig-ORIG.

Does this mean that these latter scripts are actually being run at boot time
    AS WELL AS

/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx
    /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig?

The system seems to run fine, but it's only just occurred to me (after a couple
    of years of use), that I might be running 2 lots of scripts as above.

Your advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Why bother and not keep Knoppix simple and leave it as it is DESIGNED to be used?

Moderator Moderator
    No, Knoppix doesn't take care of '/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx-ORIG' and '/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig-ORIG'.
    Have a look at '/etc/inittab'.

Many thanks Werner. Your kind reply is most welcome. I can breathe a sigh of relief that I haven't made a blunder.