i'm asking this more from curiosity than anything else, but i haven't found anything in the FAQ or forum yet that explains the details of what "tohd=" does; if anybody can answer my question in a second or two, i would appreciate it. if not, no answer is OK, too.

i finally bought a new laptop last year. it has a 931GiB disk, which had Win10 installed on it; i don't use it very often (mostly just to get Win10 updates), so i booted from my USB knoppix 7.6 drive, shrank the Win10 partition down to a 146GiB, and put the remaining 773GiB into a new partition, on which i created an ext4 filesystem. i then rebooted using the "fromhd=" parameter, and everything works fine. my intention is to either boot into Win10 or (more likely) use a knoppix USB drive to boot into knoppix using the "fromhd=" parameter. i later booted from the USB drive again, and it would appear that the only files that "tohd=" put onto the partition were the ones found in the KNOPPIX directory on the USB drive.

i only recently started making extensive use of the laptop, because the job i used to have was 24/7/365, and i didn't get much rest, let alone time to mess with the machine. now that i can play around, i have begun storing files on the ext4 partition, but it occurred to me that if "tohd=" re-images the partition the way flash-knoppix does, having data stored on the same partition isn't a good idea. if, OTOH, i can just copy the files from the USB drive (or loop-mount the latest ISO and copy from that), i'm OK where i'm at.

any quick explanation of "tohd=?"