Thread: How can I run well from the hard drive with persistence

Hybrid View

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by fredvej View Post
    AFAIK it is not possible to boot from ISO and have persistence, because the persistent image must reside in the Knoppix directory. To make a bootable Knoppix do this: 1) boot from your ISO, adding the parameter tohd=/dev/sda5 to the kernel parameters. This will copy the Knoppix files to /dev/sda5/KNOPPIX I trust that you are familiar with booting GRUB and editing the boot commands with e and boot the edited command with F10 Is this what you call a poor man's install ? While running Knoppix from the ISO: 2) mount the ISO file so that you can read from it: sudo mount /mnt-iso/ISO/KNX.iso /mnt-user 3) copy the kernels and initrd to the Knoppix directory: sudo cp -a /mnt-user/boot/isolinux/linux* /mnt-iso/KNOPPIX/ sudo cp -a /mnt-user/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz /mnt-iso/KNOPPIX/ Reboot to your normal linux distro 4) make an entry in your GRUB config: menuentry "Knoppix64 7.7.1 from HD (on /dev/sda5)" { insmod part_gpt insmod ext2 set root='hd0,gpt5' linux /KNOPPIX/linux64 knoppix_dir=/KNOPPIX lang=en screen=1440x900 desktop=icewm acpi_osi='!Windows 2015' i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 initrd /KNOPPIX/minirt.gz } 5) boot Knoppix using GRUB entry, adding the parameter mkimage to the kernel parameters. This will activate the persistence image creation dialog during boot Next time you boot Knoppix, the persistent image will contain your settings and alterations.
    Thanks, fredvej. That looks to have made progress. The only thing I never saw was any prompt for the persistence file. The 15 inch screen is almost impossible to read at 3840x2160, but it never paused that I could see. I tried a couple changes and reboot but they were lost. Any ideas how to run the mkimage and where to look for the persistence file?

Member registered user
    here is a video of it booting 4) make an entry in your GRUB config: menuentry "Knoppix64 7.7.1 from HD (on /dev/sda5)" { insmod part_gpt insmod ext2 set root='hd0,gpt5' linux /KNOPPIX/linux64 knoppix_dir=/KNOPPIX lang=en screen=1440x900 desktop=icewm acpi_osi='!Windows 2015' i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 initrd /KNOPPIX/minirt.gz } 5) boot Knoppix using GRUB entry, adding the parameter mkimage to the kernel parameters. This will activate the persistence image creation dialog during boot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaWp...ature=youtu.be