I have Knoppix 7.7.1. I really like the KDE games section, as it has some of my favorite games. I also hope to use the Wine, which I don't have working on any other distro. The distro looks nice and seems very stable.

I have a fast Dell Inspiron 15 7559 laptop which is UEFI and it has 2 GPT hard drives, /dev/sd5 is a fast SSD. It has an nVidia GTX 960 graphics card which most distros have problems with, but Knoppix works well with.

What I would like is a setup where I run from the hard drive, but run the original Knoppix, and save my changes to a persistence file, and would have the ability later to identify all my changes in case I want to implement them again in a newer version. I don't want to boot or run from USB flashdrive because its slow and requires me to hold down F12 during the boot to get it to boot from USB flashdrive.

I tried the "Poor man's install", but it only copied a small portion of Knoppix to the hard drive, and seemed to require me to have the USB flashdrive in to boot which I would like to avoid.

I found Werner P Schulz's wiki section "ISO Install to HD" http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Har...e_Installation which was certainly helpful getting it running, but I don't understand how to implement persistence with the ISO Install to HD method.

My attempt to install:
I created an EXT4 partition /dev/sda5 on the SSD. I created a folder ISO on the partition and downloaded the Knoppix to there via bittorrent. As instructed, I renamed the .iso file to KNX.iso

I edited /etc/grub.d/40_custom to add a menuentry for Knoppix and ran update-grup to put it into effect

menuentry "Knoppix64 7.7.1 fromISO (on /dev/sda5)" {
insmod part_gpt
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,gpt5'
loopback loop (hd0,gpt5)/ISO/KNX.iso
linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux64 bootfrom=/dev/sda5/ISO/KNX.iso mkimage screen=1440x900 desktop=icewm acpi_osi='!Windows 2015' i915.preliminary_hw_support=1
initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}

1. This does boot, but it boots after a 5 or 10 second delay. What could I do to get it to boot faster? My guess is that what I need is a hybrid of the "Poor man's install" and the "ISO Install to HD"

2. I don't think the desktop=icewm option worked because the system looked to be running lxde. I would like to run Icewm if possible, but it's not critical.

3. The menus are all in German. I tried lang=us as suggested in the cheatcodes.txt but that was invalid. I didn't see lang=en as an option.

4. I used the mkimage option, but it doesn't ask about the persistence file. I would like to save any changes I make to a persistence file.

Can you help me resolve my 4 issues above, please