Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Partitioning and cfdisk how-to and how to ungoof your MBR

Senior Member registered user

Re: Replacing existing RH9 in GRUB dual boot (w/ W2k) w/Knop

Quote Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk

Here's the scenario:

I have three HDDs:
    one (27G, 7200RPM) for W2k (the first)

one for data storage (60G, 7200RPM) and swap files (four partitions--W2k swap, data 1, data 2, Linux swap),
    1) Point the intaller to your exisitng Linux swap (it should find it on its own however).
    2)If you want data1 & data2 partitions mounted automatically on boot simply edit /etc/fstab AFTER the install as there in no capacity for this as of yet.

one for Linux (10G, 5400RPM--the original HDD from the computer that preceded this one...) with '/boot' (generously allocated 100MB ), '/', and '/home' partitions formatted ext3, and a 750k vfat partition specifically for compiling files while preparing CDs for burning
    /boot is unnecessary but doesn't hurt anything. Just realize that if you want your kernel on its own partition you'll have to move it yourself. I would advise against it.

I'm hoping I can keep the Linux partitions as they are, empty them (I've backed up the /home to the W2k "G:" (data 2) partition), and install Knoppix in them.
    Just reformat your existing partitions. For ext3:
    mke2fs -j /dev/hdx?
    What size are / and /home? That will be the determining factor. Realize however that the installer is incapable of installing to multiple partitions without a bit of editing on the part of the user. Fear not as it's quite simple to do:

Does the Knoppix install routine 'knx-hdinstall' offer GRUB as an option (the McNab article suggests using it, which I'm happy to do, as I'm used to it, but fails to mention if it's part of the normal knx-hdinstall setup or something I'd have to kludge on later), and will it freak out over the fact that the MBR on the first HDD (I installed Windows first and Linux second, so GRUB is on the first HDD) is already GRUB-ed and working quite well as dual-boot?
    1)Simply intall lilo to /root and not mbr. Then just edit menu.lst so that it points to your kernel.
    2)Don't use knx-hdinstall. Use knoppix-installer instead.
    3)Better yet, get Kanotix It is built w/ sid and makes for a great install cd. Knoppix is really more of a live cd. The installer was created at the request of the users AFAIK.

Boot Kanotix.Make your partitions. Format them as ext3 (or whatever you like). Currently the installer can only format /root. Start the installer:

1)sudo kanotix-installer
    2)Configure
    3)Quit.
    4)Save config? YES
    5)sudo xedit /root/.knofig
    6)Edit HD_MAP=""
    (example)
    7) HD_MAP="/dev/hda3:/home /dev/hda6:/tmp /dev/hda7:/var /dev/hda14:/usr"
    Save
    9)sudo kanotix-installer
    Review your configuration.
    10) In another terminal: mount

You should see your partitions mounted on their respective mount points.
    You do not have to move all directories listed in my example to other partitions. Selecting / and /home is suficient. Make sure that / is at least 2G. I'd recommend larger.

Perhaps moving this to its own thread would also get you more visibility.

PS:to richenbacherus--
    you play guitar? hang out at ampage.org or the yahoo strat, rigtips, or tubefex groups? your handle sounds familiar....
    Yes I play- quite poorly at that.

Junior Member registered user

Re: Replacing existing RH9 in GRUB dual boot (w/ W2k) w/Knop

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    1) Point the intaller to your exisitng Linux swap (it should find it on its own however).
    2)If you want data1 & data2 partitions mounted automatically on boot simply edit /etc/fstab AFTER the install as there in no capacity for this as of yet.
    Thanks! This worked out pretty well, although the installer had to be told which physical drive to look on, it found the existing swap once I'd done so.

/boot is unnecessary but doesn't hurt anything. Just realize that if you want your kernel on its own partition you'll have to move it yourself. I would advise against it.
    I ended up doing exactly as you advise--nixing the /boot. I didn't feel comfortable with moving the Kernel around and such. I stumbled across, er..., found (yeah, that's the ticket) a thread started by jdong also that provided a step-by-step for getting the bootloader set up, which was my main problem after installing. I could see and boot into Win2k, but not into Knoppix.

What size are / and /home? That will be the determining factor. Realize however that the installer is incapable of installing to multiple partitions without a bit of editing on the part of the user. Fear not as it's quite simple to do:
    1)Simply intall lilo to /root and not mbr.
    That's what I did the last time, after trying and failing with LILO in the MBR (it didn't even show up on the MBR--maybe it put it in the MBR of hd2?). Then I followed (sort-of) jdong's instructions about the boot.ini file in Win2k to get it to boot. My / is about 4.2G, and /CD_PREP is about 750M, leaving 5G for /home. I need to make an ext3 file system on the new /home partition, as I've not done that yet, but then I'll be transferring all the home directories to that partition and wiping out the standard knoppix user in favor of my own account....

Perhaps moving this to its own thread would also get you more visibility.
    I think that's a good idea, as it may help someone else in a similar situation (already set up for dual-boot, switching from another distro, etc.). I'll try to get that going tomorrow, after I get done with setup here and installing my new DVD-R/RW drive.... javascript:emoticon('')

Yes I play- quite poorly at that.
    Don't knock yourself, a lot of famous players aren't "all that" either. If you have fun doing it and small furry animals don't spontaneously die upon hearing you play, it's cool. Drop on over to ampage.org if you have any amp/gear related questions. It's a great resource. I hang out there a lot, as I like to build tube amps.... I also enjoy the irony of using advanced technological means (such as computer and internet) to communicate about vacuum tubes.... javascript:emoticon('')

Thanks again!

C ya,
    Dutch

Re: Partitioning and cfdisk how-to and how to ungoof your MB

Hi, after HD install I also could not run win(winxp).
    I had several partitions on hda:
    1 ntfs for winxp bootable
    1 reiserfs for linux
    1 swap
    1 fat32 for read/write from both os
    I looked around when booted with a diskette into knoppix.
    I found a command:
    install-mbr
    Read the help file(manual?) and tried it.
    I took the option to boot from hda1 and hda2.
    Rebooted straight into winxp.
    I boot to linux with my diskette.
    Maybe I better put lilo to do the first loading?
    Have to work on that.
    Greetings from Belgium.

adding notes:
    dd.june2005: now I use GRUB, LILO or XOSL to do the booting.

LILO tips for those new to this....

Here's some of our notes from a knoppix hd install...

If you put LILO on your windows MBR and later want it off,
    you can remove it by booting to your knoppix hd install, open a console then type
    lilo -u
    reboot and windows will boot as normal.

The boot floopy made by knoppix-installer will still boot linux.

----------
    A good way to install knoppix is to put it on the 2nd HD, then install lilo to the partition. Then use mbrwiz a free windows tool, to set that partition active. Now you can use your bios to select the HD to boot from.

If you have the linux drive booting you will get the LILO menu and can boot linux or windows. If you set your bios to boot from the windows HD all will be normal, no LILO menu.

Repairing MBR

If you just want to repair the mbr to boot windows, check your hard drive manufactureres website for disk utilities.

I use Seagate drives and have downloaded DiscWizard and Seatools, both as bootable floppy and as bootable cds (iso's provided) many times (for updates).

There is an option (in Seatools I think) to "fix" the mbr.

As for Linux, you should always make a boot floppy just in case Windows screws things up.

master_b

On the qtparted command, it says "cannot connect to x server." Also, when using the knoppix-installer it says, when trying to partion the tables, that it cannot write them. I'm a newbie to linux, and would like to get it working. Please help.

-PythonyTJM

Quote Originally Posted by PythonyTJM
    On the qtparted command, it says "cannot connect to x server." Also, when using the knoppix-installer it says, when trying to partion the tables, that it cannot write them. I'm a newbie to linux, and would like to get it working. Please help.

-PythonyTJM
    Welcome to Knoppix. We need more info re your system. Was it a working OS before you tried to run qtparted? I borked my dual-boot MBR once, tinkering around, and none of the Linux partitioning tools including qtparted would work, apparently because they are carefully designed to not make things worse. I finally solved the problem by running "fixmbr" from the Windows 2000 Pro installation disc (Windows' assertive tendencies can come in handy if you are prepared for the consequences.) The computer would only boot Windows after that, but at least I could use PartitionMagic and I suppose qtparted would have worked as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Sure you can use partition magic but I wouldn't recommend it. It seems to have made a mess of alot of hard drives lately. The latest Knoppix cd's have a better program called qtparted that does a much better job.
    Just a cautionary tale: I have had a very bad(*) experience using Partition Magic 8.0 before running knoppix-installer. So I also urge everyone not to use it if you want a dual-boot system. The NTFS partition table of my hda is all messed up now. And the MBR was completely screwed (the infamous L99 99 99... problem) after the knoppix installation, even though I had chosen to install it on the partition instead of the MBR (?!). [This is probably due to my stupidly opting for BootMagic as a dual-boot device so this should also be avoided]. Cleaning the MBR from the Win2K CD with fixmbr did not help, and now I can only boot into knoppix from the floppy. Windows 2000 is no longer accessible []. So be warned!

(*) I had a backup of everything, so the disaster was more virtual than real, especially since it occurred on a desktop I will have to abandon before moving back to Europe in a few months. But this mishap still cost me some trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by PythonyTJM
    On the qtparted command, it says "cannot connect to x server."
    This is because you are not running it as "root". From the "System" menu of KDE, run GKSu (you can also type "gksuexec" in a console). You will be ask for the name of the application you want to run, so type "qtparted". Then you need to enter the root password. If you run Knoppix from the CD then you should first set a root password manually see the second question in this FAQ http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing

Firmicus

Senior Member registered user
    OK, something went wrong with knoppix-installer for the first time ever (I must have used it hundreds of times by now). So, the PC won't boot-up into Linux on a dual boot. You know the point you're at after knoppix-installer ends and you reboot Linux to edit /etc/lilo.conf and fix the boot order.... Well I can't get there. So the stupid PC just reboots to Linux and Linux don't run. I can boot XP though. So how do I edit /etc/lilo.conf? I guess I don't!

The real question is, how do I fix the mbr back to the original state (booting XP and no dual boot)? I don't have a WIMPdoze CD. So, can this be done somehow from a KNOPPIX CD?

TIA,
    AJG

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast