Thread: Emu10k1 driver and Debian - can Knoppix help me?

riot

Emu10k1 driver and Debian - can Knoppix help me?

Hi!
    I have a real problem getting my Soundblaster Live to work under Debian, and have tried various procedures from howto files, manually switched the onboard sound card off [via a jumper setting] so it wouldn't cause conflict etc, but I still can't get it to work. [error messages seem to vary with each howto I follow ]
    I was wondering could anyone help me [since I'm pretty much a Debian newbie] and tell me is there any way I could use Knoppix to help me with Soundblaster installation?
    When i boot Knoppix, it, of course, works perfectly, and what I'd like to know is, what config files I need to pay attention to? It would be a nice thing to just boot Knoppix and copy the relevant files to use in my regular woody configuration.
    Thanks for any info!

emu10k1 in debian

do not install any alsa (that is more complicated)
    as root run 'modconf', choose 'kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1'
    and in next menu 'emu10k1'.

you need no special parameters. Just pressing enter gets you there.

another more manual way is to 'modprobe emu10k1' and/org edit /etc/modules -- add emu10k1.

both methods should work.

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole
    Installing module emu10k1. If the device isn't there, or isn't configured correctly, this could cause your system to pause for up to a minute.

Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/modules.dep
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: insmod emu10k1 failed

Installation failed.
    depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/modules.dep for writing
    Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer here.

Additionally, on startup:
    Quote Originally Posted by kernel messages
    Can't locate module sound-slot-0.
    modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-0
    Everything fails. Modprobing, starting with alsa or alma or...whatever it's called :P (I got it right when I booted, I swear.)
    Help?

i think easiest way for you may be to backup your data and boot knoppix CD.
    while running knoppix, execute:

sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall

after possible partition changes (cfdisk) you will answer just few questions and
    you will in 20 minutes end up with debian installed and configured properly.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by VxJasonxV
    Quote Originally Posted by konsole
    Installing module emu10k1. If the device isn't there, or isn't configured correctly, this could cause your system to pause for up to a minute.

Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/modules.dep
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o: insmod emu10k1 failed

Installation failed.
    depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/modules.dep for writing
    Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer here.

Additionally, on startup:
    Quote Originally Posted by kernel messages
    Can't locate module sound-slot-0.
    modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-0
    Everything fails. Modprobing, starting with alsa or alma or...whatever it's called :P (I got it right when I booted, I swear.)
    Help?
    You got it right, when you booted ? What do you mean with that ?

If you mean: You had your soundcard with alsa working from CD and it does not work after hd-install, just do a:

/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig

to have it working on your installed knoppix forever.

cu

Fabian

how do u get /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to start up? I try to start it through the "explorer" and it doesn't do anything. I can't start it through the shell because I simply don't know how to run things from the shell. (I'm a newbie) What do I need to do and what am I doing wrong?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled157940
    how do u get /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to start up? I try to start it through the "explorer" and it doesn't do anything. I can't start it through the shell because I simply don't know how to run things from the shell. (I'm a newbie) What do I need to do and what am I doing wrong?
    Open the shell which is the clam shell icon on the taskbar then you would type in su then enter key and then type in the root password when asked enter key again and you are now root, type in the /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig hit the enter key again and the script will run and tell you of either the success or failure. If it fails then cut'n'paste the error into a post so we can see the result. It it works then type gvim /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh go to the bottom of the file and add the line aumix -w75 -v 75and then save the file this will set the default volume when you boot so you will have sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled157940
    Open the shell which is the clam shell icon on the taskbar then you would type in su then enter key and then type in the root password when asked enter key again and you are now root, type in the /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig hit the enter key again and the script will run and tell you of either the success or failure. If it fails then cut'n'paste the error into a post so we can see the result. It it works then type gvim /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh go to the bottom of the file and add the line aumix -w75 -v 75and then save the file this will set the default volume when you boot so you will have sound.

It did not come up with any errors when I ran the shell auto-config. I did exactly as u told me but it still would not work. In case this helps I am running a pentium II processor on a Dell Latitude CPI D266XT laptop. I have also installed Knoppix onto my hard drive. At this point I do not know what to do.