Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Knoppix 8.3

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Knoppix 8.3

    Hello,
    Knoppix 8.3 is out ! cf: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    Can someone help me get an iso copy of the DVD ? (it is not available outside of Germany)
    I am willing to pay for it via Paypal.
    Thanks,
    Gilles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    It looks like we can order the magazine with the DVD - at least I have now paid for it for sending to Norway, remains to be seen if it will eventually turn up. (The Docker adaptation is the main reason I will take a look at it.)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I got the magazine by mail, DVD works fine, have the 8.3 ISO image on disk. (And two "remasterings" so far, now there are five cloop files.)
    Caveat: Mounts mnt-system ro when run under kvm, even when started from volume disjoint from host's /mnt-system.

  4. #4
    Do you know if it works without 3d (no3d) when you boot it. Knoppix 8.2 doesnīt. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Knoppix 8.2/8.3 may need updating of graphics modules

    Quote Originally Posted by joselb View Post
    Do you know if it works without 3d (no3d) when you boot it. Knoppix 8.2 doesnīt. Thanks!
    I have seen a bit of the same problem, but in both versions, I get the impression that it goes away after updating graphics modules. I could at first not get it to initialize graphics correctly with no3d, but after a lot of updating, everything went fine. To check, I just started a poor man's install of 8.3 with no3d, no problems at all. The last two KNOPPIXes definitely benefit from updating.

  6. #6
    Thanks. I don t know how to update if I only boot with my usb pendrive as it is, but good to know that this problem continues... I will continue with 8.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    I have seen a bit of the same problem, but in both versions, I get the impression that it goes away after updating graphics modules. I could at first not get it to initialize graphics correctly with no3d, but after a lot of updating, everything went fine. To check, I just started a poor man's install of 8.3 with no3d, no problems at all. The last two KNOPPIXes definitely benefit from updating.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Easy to upgrade packages with persistent store and Synaptic package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by joselb View Post
    Thanks. I don t know how to update if I only boot with my usb pendrive as it is, but good to know that this problem continues... I will continue with 8.1
    If you have persistent store on the pendrive, you can just start Synaptic from the Preferences menu. In Synaptic, first press the Reload button, then choose the "Status" filter and select "Installed (upgradable)". You will then see the set of packages that may be upgraded. Never try to pick them all, but look at the graphics routines, typically modules associated with the X server. Mark them for upgrade, then choose Apply.

    If you don't have persistent store on the pendrive - why not, really?

  8. #8
    I understand what you say but yes: I need to use it without persistence. I normally use a read-only pendrive to be sure that my Knoppix will not be modified or hacked. I donīt use persistence, I only make some minimal changes manually every time I use it (network and some files -openvpn, browser- I include in the pendrive).
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    If you have persistent store on the pendrive, you can just start Synaptic from the Preferences menu. In Synaptic, first press the Reload button, then choose the "Status" filter and select "Installed (upgradable)". You will then see the set of packages that may be upgraded. Never try to pick them all, but look at the graphics routines, typically modules associated with the X server. Mark them for upgrade, then choose Apply. If you don't have persistent store on the pendrive - why not, really?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by joselb View Post
    I understand what you say but yes: I need to use it without persistence. I normally use a read-only pendrive to be sure that my Knoppix will not be modified or hacked. I donīt use persistence, I only make some minimal changes manually every time I use it (network and some files -openvpn, browser- I include in the pendrive).
    Your concern is not an argument against doing what I suggest, rather the contrary. You can set up a persistent store, but you don't have to use it normally. With the NOIMAGE (if I recall correctly) cheatcode, you start without the persistent store, and that would be your default configuration. But you engage the persistent store for doing modifications to the system, like updating modules, tightening security, set up default accounts etc. And then you run the copy-to-flash routine _with_ the remastering option. Your changes will then be rolled into a new overlay, and you can have a new persistent store set up. And when you subsequently start Knoppix without using the persistent store, your changes will be in effect - no changes needed on startup if you use the ordinary configuration. This process may be repeated several times if you need to update your Knopppix - security updates for the browser is a typical reason for having a new overlay created.
    When you run without persistent store, you don't need to have the knoppix-data.img file present on the drive. It may be good practice to have it present only when you do system manintenance. If a version then crops up after it has been moved, you know somebody has tried to tamper with your system.

  10. #10
    Please tell me more about the "copy-to-flash routine _with_ the remastering option". I don't know how to use it. Thanks for the answer, I didn't know I could do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    Your concern is not an argument against doing what I suggest, rather the contrary. You can set up a persistent store, but you don't have to use it normally. With the NOIMAGE (if I recall correctly) cheatcode, you start without the persistent store, and that would be your default configuration. But you engage the persistent store for doing modifications to the system, like updating modules, tightening security, set up default accounts etc. And then you run the copy-to-flash routine _with_ the remastering option. Your changes will then be rolled into a new overlay, and you can have a new persistent store set up. And when you subsequently start Knoppix without using the persistent store, your changes will be in effect - no changes needed on startup if you use the ordinary configuration. This process may be repeated several times if you need to update your Knopppix - security updates for the browser is a typical reason for having a new overlay created. When you run without persistent store, you don't need to have the knoppix-data.img file present on the drive. It may be good practice to have it present only when you do system manintenance. If a version then crops up after it has been moved, you know somebody has tried to tamper with your system.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OEM IBM Thinkpad Keyboard T410 T410i T410s T410si T510 W510 W520 X220 X220i picture

OEM IBM Thinkpad Keyboard T410 T410i T410s T410si T510 W510 W520 X220 X220i

$27.00



Genuine OEM IBM Model M2 Keycaps for Missing

Genuine OEM IBM Model M2 Keycaps for Missing "Clicky" Keyboard-Keys

$3.00



IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T400s T410s T410i T430 T530 90W OEM AC Power Adapter Charger picture

IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T400s T410s T410i T430 T530 90W OEM AC Power Adapter Charger

$8.99



Chicony Keyboard KB-3923 (OEM of IBM Rapid Response W95, Wyse, etc.) PS/2 - NEW picture

Chicony Keyboard KB-3923 (OEM of IBM Rapid Response W95, Wyse, etc.) PS/2 - NEW

$39.99



Genuine OEM IBM Model M Keycaps, and Keys for Missing

Genuine OEM IBM Model M Keycaps, and Keys for Missing "Clicky" Keyboard-Key

$2.99



IBM Model M2 Spring Clicky PS/2 keyboard 1991 OEM replacement springs picture

IBM Model M2 Spring Clicky PS/2 keyboard 1991 OEM replacement springs

$6.00



OEM IBM Lenovo Thinkpad X100E & X120E Battery FRU P/N: 42T4787 ASM P/N: 42T4786 picture

OEM IBM Lenovo Thinkpad X100E & X120E Battery FRU P/N: 42T4787 ASM P/N: 42T4786

$24.00



OEM IBM Lenovo Thinkpad X 61 System Board+HEAT SINK 60Y4026 picture

OEM IBM Lenovo Thinkpad X 61 System Board+HEAT SINK 60Y4026

$18.89



IBM Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 OEM Laptop Palmrest AP0NV000700 picture

IBM Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 OEM Laptop Palmrest AP0NV000700

$12.45



IBM OEM DTCA-24090 4GB Storage Apple Laptop Hard Disk Drive    picture

IBM OEM DTCA-24090 4GB Storage Apple Laptop Hard Disk Drive

$45.00