Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Knoppix 8.3

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Knoppix 8.3

    Hello,
    Knoppix 8.3 is out ! cf: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    Can someone help me get an iso copy of the DVD ? (it is not available outside of Germany)
    I am willing to pay for it via Paypal.
    Thanks,
    Gilles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    It looks like we can order the magazine with the DVD - at least I have now paid for it for sending to Norway, remains to be seen if it will eventually turn up. (The Docker adaptation is the main reason I will take a look at it.)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I got the magazine by mail, DVD works fine, have the 8.3 ISO image on disk. (And two "remasterings" so far, now there are five cloop files.)
    Caveat: Mounts mnt-system ro when run under kvm, even when started from volume disjoint from host's /mnt-system.

  4. #4
    Do you know if it works without 3d (no3d) when you boot it. Knoppix 8.2 doesnīt. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Knoppix 8.2/8.3 may need updating of graphics modules

    Quote Originally Posted by joselb View Post
    Do you know if it works without 3d (no3d) when you boot it. Knoppix 8.2 doesnīt. Thanks!
    I have seen a bit of the same problem, but in both versions, I get the impression that it goes away after updating graphics modules. I could at first not get it to initialize graphics correctly with no3d, but after a lot of updating, everything went fine. To check, I just started a poor man's install of 8.3 with no3d, no problems at all. The last two KNOPPIXes definitely benefit from updating.

  6. #6
    Thanks. I don t know how to update if I only boot with my usb pendrive as it is, but good to know that this problem continues... I will continue with 8.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    I have seen a bit of the same problem, but in both versions, I get the impression that it goes away after updating graphics modules. I could at first not get it to initialize graphics correctly with no3d, but after a lot of updating, everything went fine. To check, I just started a poor man's install of 8.3 with no3d, no problems at all. The last two KNOPPIXes definitely benefit from updating.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Easy to upgrade packages with persistent store and Synaptic package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by joselb View Post
    Thanks. I don t know how to update if I only boot with my usb pendrive as it is, but good to know that this problem continues... I will continue with 8.1
    If you have persistent store on the pendrive, you can just start Synaptic from the Preferences menu. In Synaptic, first press the Reload button, then choose the "Status" filter and select "Installed (upgradable)". You will then see the set of packages that may be upgraded. Never try to pick them all, but look at the graphics routines, typically modules associated with the X server. Mark them for upgrade, then choose Apply.

    If you don't have persistent store on the pendrive - why not, really?

  8. #8
    I understand what you say but yes: I need to use it without persistence. I normally use a read-only pendrive to be sure that my Knoppix will not be modified or hacked. I donīt use persistence, I only make some minimal changes manually every time I use it (network and some files -openvpn, browser- I include in the pendrive).
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    If you have persistent store on the pendrive, you can just start Synaptic from the Preferences menu. In Synaptic, first press the Reload button, then choose the "Status" filter and select "Installed (upgradable)". You will then see the set of packages that may be upgraded. Never try to pick them all, but look at the graphics routines, typically modules associated with the X server. Mark them for upgrade, then choose Apply. If you don't have persistent store on the pendrive - why not, really?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


For Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15IIL05 15IML05 15ADA05 15ARE05 Palmrest Keyboard Touchpad picture

For Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15IIL05 15IML05 15ADA05 15ARE05 Palmrest Keyboard Touchpad

$59.25



For Lenovo Yoga 910-13IKB USB C Charging Port Board with Cable NS-A901 US picture

For Lenovo Yoga 910-13IKB USB C Charging Port Board with Cable NS-A901 US

$138.04



New For Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14ALC05 Palmrest Keyboard Grey Backlit 5CB1C39900 picture

New For Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14ALC05 Palmrest Keyboard Grey Backlit 5CB1C39900

$142.11



Lenovo ThinkPad T480 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T480 14" Touchscreen Laptop i5 256GB NVMe 16GB RAM Win 11 Pro

$249.00



Lenovo - LOQ 15.6

Lenovo - LOQ 15.6" Gaming Laptop FHD - Intel Core i5-13420H with 8GB Memory -...

$629.99



Lenovo Ideapad 1i 15.6

Lenovo Ideapad 1i 15.6" FHD Notebook Intel Core i5-1235U 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$349.99



Lenovo 100e Chromebook Laptop 2nd Gen | 11.6

Lenovo 100e Chromebook Laptop 2nd Gen | 11.6" HD | MTK 1.7GHz | 4GB RAM | 32GB

$32.00



Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11e 11.6

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11e 11.6" 2in1 Touch Intel Core i3 4GB RAM 128GB SSD Win10

$59.00



Notebook Lenovo Slim Pro 9 Laptop, 16

Notebook Lenovo Slim Pro 9 Laptop, 16" Glass, i9-13905H, GB, 1TB SSD

$1051.99



Lenovo ThinkPad 14

Lenovo ThinkPad 14" Laptop Computer Core i7 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 10 Pro

$229.99