Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Knoppix 8.3

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Knoppix 8.3

    Hello,
    Knoppix 8.3 is out ! cf: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    Can someone help me get an iso copy of the DVD ? (it is not available outside of Germany)
    I am willing to pay for it via Paypal.
    Thanks,
    Gilles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    It looks like we can order the magazine with the DVD - at least I have now paid for it for sending to Norway, remains to be seen if it will eventually turn up. (The Docker adaptation is the main reason I will take a look at it.)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I got the magazine by mail, DVD works fine, have the 8.3 ISO image on disk. (And two "remasterings" so far, now there are five cloop files.)
    Caveat: Mounts mnt-system ro when run under kvm, even when started from volume disjoint from host's /mnt-system.

  4. #4
    Do you know if it works without 3d (no3d) when you boot it. Knoppix 8.2 doesnīt. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Knoppix 8.2/8.3 may need updating of graphics modules

    Quote Originally Posted by joselb View Post
    Do you know if it works without 3d (no3d) when you boot it. Knoppix 8.2 doesnīt. Thanks!
    I have seen a bit of the same problem, but in both versions, I get the impression that it goes away after updating graphics modules. I could at first not get it to initialize graphics correctly with no3d, but after a lot of updating, everything went fine. To check, I just started a poor man's install of 8.3 with no3d, no problems at all. The last two KNOPPIXes definitely benefit from updating.

  6. #6
    Thanks. I don t know how to update if I only boot with my usb pendrive as it is, but good to know that this problem continues... I will continue with 8.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    I have seen a bit of the same problem, but in both versions, I get the impression that it goes away after updating graphics modules. I could at first not get it to initialize graphics correctly with no3d, but after a lot of updating, everything went fine. To check, I just started a poor man's install of 8.3 with no3d, no problems at all. The last two KNOPPIXes definitely benefit from updating.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802

    Easy to upgrade packages with persistent store and Synaptic package manager

    Quote Originally Posted by joselb View Post
    Thanks. I don t know how to update if I only boot with my usb pendrive as it is, but good to know that this problem continues... I will continue with 8.1
    If you have persistent store on the pendrive, you can just start Synaptic from the Preferences menu. In Synaptic, first press the Reload button, then choose the "Status" filter and select "Installed (upgradable)". You will then see the set of packages that may be upgraded. Never try to pick them all, but look at the graphics routines, typically modules associated with the X server. Mark them for upgrade, then choose Apply.

    If you don't have persistent store on the pendrive - why not, really?

  8. #8
    I understand what you say but yes: I need to use it without persistence. I normally use a read-only pendrive to be sure that my Knoppix will not be modified or hacked. I donīt use persistence, I only make some minimal changes manually every time I use it (network and some files -openvpn, browser- I include in the pendrive).
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    If you have persistent store on the pendrive, you can just start Synaptic from the Preferences menu. In Synaptic, first press the Reload button, then choose the "Status" filter and select "Installed (upgradable)". You will then see the set of packages that may be upgraded. Never try to pick them all, but look at the graphics routines, typically modules associated with the X server. Mark them for upgrade, then choose Apply. If you don't have persistent store on the pendrive - why not, really?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by joselb View Post
    I understand what you say but yes: I need to use it without persistence. I normally use a read-only pendrive to be sure that my Knoppix will not be modified or hacked. I donīt use persistence, I only make some minimal changes manually every time I use it (network and some files -openvpn, browser- I include in the pendrive).
    Your concern is not an argument against doing what I suggest, rather the contrary. You can set up a persistent store, but you don't have to use it normally. With the NOIMAGE (if I recall correctly) cheatcode, you start without the persistent store, and that would be your default configuration. But you engage the persistent store for doing modifications to the system, like updating modules, tightening security, set up default accounts etc. And then you run the copy-to-flash routine _with_ the remastering option. Your changes will then be rolled into a new overlay, and you can have a new persistent store set up. And when you subsequently start Knoppix without using the persistent store, your changes will be in effect - no changes needed on startup if you use the ordinary configuration. This process may be repeated several times if you need to update your Knopppix - security updates for the browser is a typical reason for having a new overlay created.
    When you run without persistent store, you don't need to have the knoppix-data.img file present on the drive. It may be good practice to have it present only when you do system manintenance. If a version then crops up after it has been moved, you know somebody has tried to tamper with your system.

  10. #10
    Please tell me more about the "copy-to-flash routine _with_ the remastering option". I don't know how to use it. Thanks for the answer, I didn't know I could do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    Your concern is not an argument against doing what I suggest, rather the contrary. You can set up a persistent store, but you don't have to use it normally. With the NOIMAGE (if I recall correctly) cheatcode, you start without the persistent store, and that would be your default configuration. But you engage the persistent store for doing modifications to the system, like updating modules, tightening security, set up default accounts etc. And then you run the copy-to-flash routine _with_ the remastering option. Your changes will then be rolled into a new overlay, and you can have a new persistent store set up. And when you subsequently start Knoppix without using the persistent store, your changes will be in effect - no changes needed on startup if you use the ordinary configuration. This process may be repeated several times if you need to update your Knopppix - security updates for the browser is a typical reason for having a new overlay created. When you run without persistent store, you don't need to have the knoppix-data.img file present on the drive. It may be good practice to have it present only when you do system manintenance. If a version then crops up after it has been moved, you know somebody has tried to tamper with your system.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP Workstation Z640 2x Xeon E5-2623V3 32GB Ram 2x256GB SSD Quadro K420 NO OS GA picture

HP Workstation Z640 2x Xeon E5-2623V3 32GB Ram 2x256GB SSD Quadro K420 NO OS GA

$154.98



Dell Precision 5810 Workstation Xeon E5-1650 6C 3.5GHz 16GB 500GB Win10 K2200 picture

Dell Precision 5810 Workstation Xeon E5-1650 6C 3.5GHz 16GB 500GB Win10 K2200

$115.94



Intel Xeon E5-2699A V4 2.40GHz 55MB 22 Core 9.6GT/s 145W CPU Processor SR30Y picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699A V4 2.40GHz 55MB 22 Core 9.6GT/s 145W CPU Processor SR30Y

$189.99



E5-2699V4 Intel Xeon Processor  55M Cache, 2.20 GHz SR2JS CM8066002022506 picture

E5-2699V4 Intel Xeon Processor 55M Cache, 2.20 GHz SR2JS CM8066002022506

$155.00



Intel Xeon SR3B6 GOLD 6148 20 CORE 2.40GHZ 27.5MB CPU picture

Intel Xeon SR3B6 GOLD 6148 20 CORE 2.40GHZ 27.5MB CPU

$80.00



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V4 CPU 2.4~3.3GHz 14-Core 35M LGA 2011-3 R3 Server SR2N7 120W picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V4 CPU 2.4~3.3GHz 14-Core 35M LGA 2011-3 R3 Server SR2N7 120W

$15.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 2.50Ghz 12 Core 30MB Cache LGA 2011-3 CPU SR1XP Tested picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 2.50Ghz 12 Core 30MB Cache LGA 2011-3 CPU SR1XP Tested

$5.90



Intel Xeon X5690 SLBVX 3.46GHz 6-Core 12MB 6.4GT/s LGA1366 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon X5690 SLBVX 3.46GHz 6-Core 12MB 6.4GT/s LGA1366 CPU Processor

$20.00



Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.20GHz 50MB 20 Core 9.6GT/s 135W CPU Processor SR2JW picture

Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.20GHz 50MB 20 Core 9.6GT/s 135W CPU Processor SR2JW

$84.99



HP Z440 Workstation 18Cores Xeon E5-2699 V3 128GB 1TB SSD 2TB WIFI WIN11 R5-340X picture

HP Z440 Workstation 18Cores Xeon E5-2699 V3 128GB 1TB SSD 2TB WIFI WIN11 R5-340X

$309.99