Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Linux Show

Senior Member registered user

The Linux Show

Listen in Tuesday night's at 08:00PM CDT (01:00AM GMT)

Tonight Live: WiFi Fact and Fiction PLUS Chris Pirillo's "Gnomedex" >> on The Linux Show!!

At 6pm pt, 7pm mt, 8pm ct, and 9pm et.... Kevin Hill, Arne Flones, Doc Searls, Russ Pavlicek AND Jeff Gerhardt are all back live tonight. We have a patriotic show lined up for tonight on The Linux Show!

Segment One- The News. We will cover THE HOT NEWS of the week. Tonight on the news: This week in the news segment we will be discussing: Wireless Internet, more on Linus, SCO, Microsoft, the Airlines, fast desktops and even faster super computers. And of course; way way more.....

Segment Two- BAWAGing and BARWIN- with Tim Pazar

Tonight we will have a conversation with Tim Pozar of BAWUG! Pozar is a founding member of the Bay Area Wireless User Group AND is currently leading an effort, called the Bay Area Research Wireless Network (BARWN), to deploy of high speed Internet access through out the San Francisco area. The infrastructure is based on low-cost unlicensed equipment.

Segment Three- A Windows Guy in the House- The Lockergnome and Gnomedex experience.

Tonight we will have a conversation with Chris Pirillo, of Lockergnome and Tech TV fame. Chris may be known as a Windows guy, but we like to think of Chris as one of a core group of true Internet Mavens. Chris's specialty is a mastery over "opt-in" email lists.

As an online technology content provider, Chris has created content is different from your run-of-the-mill Web site. His audience has been groomed to be extremely active, sending his Web server logs spinning out of control. Chris's goal has always been to feature the best of the best, for his market segment. Although best know as a windows user resourse, Lockergone has grown to include an e-mail newsletter network with nine separate titles.
    I've listened to this show for years and have been meaning for some time to put a post about it here. It is always an informative show with discussions on variety of topics usually but not limited to Linux in gerneral. Also have subscribed to many of the Lockergnome newsletters for years and they are great source of information.

URL's http://www.thelinuxshow.com/ and http://www.lockergnome.com/ if you have access to IRC the address for The Linux Show irc.thelinuxshow.com port 6667 and the channel is #linuxshow.

You may also want to listen the archives of the show located here unfortunately not all of the archives are availalabe due to concerns over proposed web casting fees in the US.

[edit]
    PS. If you are from outside North America the times zones can can be confusing the show will start in just over 4 hours from this post and if you miss the show the archive is usually available ASAP after the completion of the show.
    [/edit]

Stephen you've got great taste. I've listened to Jeff, Arne, Doc, Russ, and Kevin for a long time as well. Great show. Always informative. I also encourage people to listen if they want to stay abreast some of the larger issues surrounding the current and future state of Linux.

The Linux Show 2003-07-15

Listen in Tuesday night's at 08:00PM CDT (01:00AM GMT)

Tuesday, July 15th, 2003from Chicago IL
    Tonight LIVE on www.thelinuxshow.com.

At 6pm pt, 7pm mt, 8pm ct, and 9pm et.... Kevin Hill, Arne Flones, Doc Searls, Russ Pavlicek AND Jeff Gerhardt are all back live tonight. We have a great show lined up for tonight on The Linux Show!

Segment One- The News. We will cover THE HOT NEWS of the week. Tonight on the news: This week in the news segment we will be discussing: Wireless Internet, more on Linus, SCO, Microsoft, the Airlines, fast desktops and even faster super computers. And of course; way way more.....

Segment Two- DevChannel- the community of developers that drives technology forward

Tonight we will have a conversation with Robin 'Roblimo' Miller , Editor-in-Chief of OSDN and one of the creators of the subject of tonights second segment DevChannel.org Robin is one heck of a nice guy. Robin is one of those people who knows what it means to work for a living, and is a long time respected member of Open Source media.

DevChannel! OK, so what is it and why should I care?

DevChannel is hoped to be the central news and reference resource for developers interested in core technology topics. With original feature articles and interviews, daily news updates, access to SourceForge projects, Freshmeat downloads, and Slashdot discussions. DevChannel opens a channel of communication to developers, organized by topics that matter.

We'll also cover some updates regarding the OSDN websites in general, which many of us DO use: Slashdot, Freshmeat, NewsForge, Linux.com, yada yada yada.

Robin Roblimo Miller is a frequent guest of TLS and has been seen in our ICR room from time to time. Robin is Editor-in-Chief of OSDN, publishers of Slashdot, freshmeat, SourceForge.net, and this new DevChannel.org site. He is ALSO author of "The Online Rules of Successful Companies" (Financial Times Prentice Hall) and is working on a new book tentatively titled "Trouble-Free Computing With Linux" due in early 2004 from Sams.
    bump! the show start in just under 4 hours from this post for those of you not in North America.

Tonight Live: ON NO NOT SCO (again) >> on The Linux Show!!
    Tuesday, July 22nd, 2003from Chicago IL

At 6pm pt, 7pm mt, 8pm ct, and 9pm et.... Kevin Hill, Arne Flones, Doc Searls, Russ Pavlicek AND Jeff Gerhardt are all back live tonight. Just when things were getting in a grove for a nice summer, SCO does it again. We have a lively show lined up for tonight on The Linux Show!

Segment One- The News. We will cover THE HOT NEWS of the week. Tonight on the news: This week in the news segment we will be discussing: SCO goes after Fortune 1000 Linux Users, SCO goes after SMALL users, SCO goes after LINUS.... PLUS: Direct TV turns on Gestapo Tactics, More TCo facts on Linux, . And of course; way way more.....

Segment Two- Embedded Linux- What is it, where is it going, and why is Microsoft saying it's too expensive?

Tonight we will have a conversation with Murry Shohat, Executive Director of Embedded Linux Consortium, and Rick Lehrbaum, co-founder of the ELC in a discussion of the past and future of Linux based embedded technologies.

The ELC is trade association dedicated to promotion, evangelization, implementation and standardization of the Linux operating system throughout embedded computing. Their web site is brought to you by proactive members and many volunteers. Funding is derived from the general membership. The ELC is a vendor-neutral non-profit organization working to increase the depth and breadth and accelerate the speed of Linux adoption in the embedded market.
    bump! the show wil start in just over 2 hours from this post for those of you not in North America. And as always if you can't catch the show live check out the archives.

Tonight Live: Larry Augustin on Linus and OSDL >> on The Linux Show!!

Tuesday, July 29th, 2003 from Chicago IL

At 6pm pt, 7pm mt, 8pm ct, and 9pm et.... Kevin Hill, Arne Flones, Doc Searls, Russ Pavlicek AND Jeff Gerhardt are all back live tonight. Just when things were getting in a grove for a nice summer, SCO does it again. We have a lively show lined up for tonight on The Linux Show!

Segment One- The News. We will cover THE HOT NEWS of the week. Tonight on the news: This week in the news segment we will be discussing: SCO goes after Fortune 1000 Linux Users, SCO goes after SMALL users, SCO goes after LINUS.... PLUS: Direct TV turns on Gestapo Tactics, More TCo facts on Linux, . And of course; way way more.....

Segment Two- Linus at OSDl & other OSDL news

Tonight we will have a conversation with our old friend Larry Augustin , of Azure Capital partners, one of the founders of the Open Source Development Lab and current board member, in a discussion about the direction of OSDL now that Linus Torvalds has joined the team.

As an OSDL fellow, Linus will work exclusively on leading the development of Linux, the open source software that he created in 1991 as a university student in Finland. Torvalds will dedicate himself now full-time to guiding a distributed team of thousands of Linux developers around the world. At OSDL, he will have hands-on access to its state-of-the-art computing resources and test facility. He will also help set priorities and direction for the Lab's different industry initiatives.

Founded in 2000, OSDL has data centers in Portland, Oregon and Yokohama, Japan used by Linux developers around the world. With investment backing from Computer Associates, Fujitsu, Hitachi, HP, IBM, Intel, NEC and others, the lab sponsors key industry projects, including industry initiatives to enhance Linux for use in corporate data centers (Data Center Linux) and in telecommunications networks (Carrier Grade Linux). OSDL is increasingly being recognized as the center-of-gravity for the Linux industry: an important and independent central body that invests in the growth and innovation of Linux for the benefit of customers.

Larry Augustin joined Azure Capital Partners in September 2002 as a Venture Partner where he specializes in software and related infrastructure technologies, and works closely with the software team in evaluating new investment opportunities. Prior to Azure, Larry was chairman of VA Software and founded the company in 1993 as a Ph.D. student in electrical engineering at Stanford University. A strong advocate of collaborative software development, Augustin was the visionary behind SourceForge.net, the largest Open Source development site on the Internet. With 460,000 users worldwide, SourceForge.net is also the largest reference implementation of VA Software's commercial SourceForge product. Before founding VA, Augustin was a research associate in the program analysis and verification group (PAVG) at Stanford University where he worked on rapid prototyping languages, software engineering, hardware verification and software prototyping environments. Prior to Stanford, he worked as a systems engineer on high-speed switched digital services at AT&T Bell Laboratories. Larry Augustin holds a Ph.D. and an M.S. in electrical engineering from Stanford University, and a B.S. in electrical engineering from the University of Notre Dame.

www.isdl.org
    Bump! The show starts in just under 4 hours from this post for those of you not in North america and as always the archive usually goes up ASAP after the show is completed.

Yes and Knoppix was in fact mentiond on tonight's show which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Yes and Knoppix was in fact mentiond on tonight's show which is nice.
    Several times and in quite good terms I might add too bad about the sound cutting in and out there for a bit but I'm going to listen to the archive tomorrow.

Ok I was wondering if the sound was just me. I version I listened to was the archived version. It kept doing little skips, although this did not happen during the filler music. Anyway, good show.

Those skips you were getting in the archive were like loops of sound bites of about 4-5 seconds long playing over top the live show I would think, it was very, very annoying.

Indeed. I've found a nice way to grab the archived version after the show is over is with wget. Just use the http address found at http://thelinuxshow.com/lastweek.pls. Once you've coppied the address, just open up Konsole, type, wget -c, then use the Edit menu and Paste in the address. Works great to download the show fast.

I always use xmms to listen to the show. You can use the right arrow button to fastforward through some of the goofy music.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast