Thread: How to compile a .deb from source tar.gz?

Junior Member registered user

How to compile a .deb from source tar.gz?

I frequently use several programs that are not available as .debs (I used Red Hat before Knoppix.) I am used to using RPM to compile from a tar.gz; how is this done with dpkg?

Member registered user
    I don't know about tar.gz files, but for a straight *.rpm file typing 'rpm -i <filename>' in a root console worked for me. Try it with the tar.gz, if it doesn't work gunzip and untar it first.

HTH

- - Edwin

I guess I wasn't clear. I want to use programs that are neither available as .debs or rpms. In my old Red Hat, I simply compiled these programs under RPM with -ta option and got a RPM that I could install with rpm -i progname.

How do I compile a source tarball under Knoppix so I end up with a .deb which I can install so it is seen by the database?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by annamerikin
    I guess I wasn't clear. I want to use programs that are neither available as .debs or rpms. In my old Red Hat, I simply compiled these programs under RPM with -ta option and got a RPM that I could install with rpm -i progname.

How do I compile a source tarball under Knoppix so I end up with a .deb which I can install so it is seen by the database?
    Read your post earlier today and read this a few minutes ago and thought it might be just what you are looking for checkinstall will make a debian package and install it using dpkg.

Did some reading of the man pages for dpkg and dpkg-deb. It appears that "dpkg-deb -b" will do what I want. Except for the control files, which are not explained in the man pages. So:

Where can I learn about the internals of the dpkg and dpkg-deb systems -- specifically how to build a control tree?

BTW, thanks for the link to checkinstall. I tried it some time ago for help in compiling under rpm, but it installed the packages it built with the --force --nodeps option (equivalent to deb -force -nodepends) which almost guaranteed no installation information output and a broken installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen

Read your post earlier today and read this a few minutes ago and thought it might be just what you are looking for checkinstall will make a debian package and install it using dpkg.

Senior Member registered user

Where can I learn about the internals of the dpkg and dpkg-deb systems -- specifically how to build a control tree?
    Ah I see you are looking for some light reading I would suggest going to the source so to speak the basic Debian package management system FAQ there's more than enough here links to get you started. Also the Debian docs page and the lists page the Debian user list is a great source of information although it is a high volume list (250-400 e-mails a day) but you can read it in a news reader if you do not want that many e-mails.

HTH

Member registered user
    try "apt-get install alien", followed by "man alien"...... think this will do what you are looking to do.

Oh, forgive me, can't remember if it comes with Knoppix, if it does forget the first part :P