Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help with dsl on verizon.....

I've had no problem with verizon in Dallas. My computer is behind a Netgear router though(I'm not sure if that makes a difference.)

The Westell modem works fine with Windows XP... all the lights on the modem are steady (non flashing). So there is a DSL connection between the provider and the modem. This much works...

I may do the same thing and purchase a Netgear router... Which model have you used successfully with Knoppix ?

I don't think Knoppix recognized the network card.... eventhough it said it did. I don't see it listed with the other devices. At least I don't see an IRQ assigend to the device...

There is a linux driver available for the Netgear card. Do you think I should install it ?

Have you been successful in getting your Verizon DSL connected with Knoppix ?

I noticed that I cannot open file /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

I receive a "permission denied message" I am at the root when I sign in... Maybe this is the reason we do not have a DSL connection. I looked for the "dsl-provider' file and it's not available.

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by darktiger
    i tried the above tips but all i get is the dsl modem blinking but can't seen to be able to ping or even load a page. can anyone help?

Senior Member registered user
    You'll be better off using a PPPoE capable router to do the negotiating with verizon's network.

You do know you're verizon userID and password right? That needs to be plugged into the PPPoE config thing off of the KDE start menu.

If your NIC is not working right try another. They're only $5-10.

Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    You'll be better off using a PPPoE capable router to do the negotiating with verizon's network.

You do know you're verizon userID and password right? That needs to be plugged into the PPPoE config thing off of the KDE start menu.

I will definately try different NIC cards and even purchase a router... I believe getting Knoppix to work with a Verizon DSL connection is well worth the effort. Thanks!!!

Do you work with Verizon technical support ?

Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23

Is there any particular NIC card or router I should use ? I was going to purchase another NIC card from 3Com and was going to get a router from Netgear... but maybe another brand name would be better... not sure what's compatable with Knnopix...

Anyway... Thanks for your help!

Tommy

westell problem

tommyhill, can u ping the westell, 192.168.1.254? if you can't have you reset the westell with the inset, white button on the back, that will reset to factory defaults and is sometimes neccessary if the westell and pc wont talk to each other, infact it should be the first thing you try if simply powercycling the westell and pc doesn't work.

you do not need a pppoe client with the westell as it is a router and has built in pppoe authentication like any other router, i have never seen a westell not work that way unless there was something wrong with the os or nic, which usually resulted in the download of a rfc 1483 pppoe client, like enternet 300, or we used winxp's built in pppoe client( which obviously cant be done in this case), but in either case you must reset the modem in order to get it to work, so if u were using or tring to use the internal oe client on the westell you must reset it to factory default before you can successfully get an external oe conn client working.

dark tiger, which one of your dsl modem lights are blinking? if it is the ready or dsl light, and you are sure there are no sources of emi or rfi, cordless phones, microwaves etc.. and your modem is plugged up properly, has been powercycled AND reset then u have a problem you can not fix, call your dsl provider so they can get dsg to check it out and see if there is a network issue dsg needs to fix or a line problem you need a phone technician out to fix. to check to see if it an inside wiring issue before calling your dsl provider you can hook your modem up at the nid on the side of ur house, if it gains sync u have an inside wiring issue, if you don't gain sync the problem is outside and should not have anything to do with your inside wiring, or you have a bad modem, if you have 2 or more dsl modems i suggest tring them as well if no synch on the primary modem both inside and out.

if that westell came from bellsouth make sure the vpi/vci match verizon's or it will not work, ever, unless you change them. are you bbg? if so you should also be able to make a pppoa connection as well.

if none of this is helpful, and no one here can help, you might wanna try http://www.broadbandreports.com/ someone there is sure to be able to help you if your problems do not lie with the knoppix os.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12