Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This is a grat hacking tool

securing computer cases.

Well, usually it's pretty simple to bypass the BIOS password if a person can actually open the computer. Most (all ?) motherboards have a jumper that returns the BIOS to it's original settings, erasing passwords, etc. So you need to keep the case secured. Some cases are lockable, but for those that are not, you can replace the standard screws with a type that requires a special screw driver. Alternately, you could use a desk that has a lockable compartment for the CPU unit.

Hope this helps.

Chris

CD Boot of a BIOS locked machine

Well, usually it's pretty simple to bypass the BIOS password if a person can actually open the computer. Most (all ?) motherboards have a jumper that returns the BIOS to it's original settings, erasing passwords, etc. So you need to keep the case secured.
    ... just pull the battery for a couple of minutes. Easier than rubbing a bottle for the genie...

Smokin...

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by EldarStorm
    I recently loaded a dual boot of XP Pro and Mandrake Linux 8.1c. During the configuration of Lilo (I was setting XP as default and changing the name from NT to XP Pro) I made it so it would not boot into Windows.
    And this is a problem? I set up lilo on my LAN clients to boot XP by default without a passwd. My students can switch to linux (debian hdinstall) with a lilo passwd if they're quick about it (I set timer to only 5 sec). However, I set up the server on this LAN with lilo making linux the default, no passwd and 0 sec timer! So if someone comes around and reboots it to get XP for some reason, good luck!

Regards,

Hmmm, I admit, I was interested in the subject line. Considering a post that was made in the "The Forum", on just this topic - a friend told me I had to get this OS cause its so easy to hack with...

But, what really kept me reading, all the way to the bottom of all the responses, is the fact that the original author's statements were either not the issue, or were taken as "matter of fact, who cares". What made me even more interested in making a response to the whole thread was the fact that security in Linux is so serious, and not taken lightly, that someone can prove that "other" OS's lack so much of security.

I hate to say it, but security in any Win[fill in your version] is so lacking, I think M$ is more concerned that their security is mostly based on the fact that the system won't boot. IMHO

I've had enough of my share of M$ Windows systems, and done way too many system update patches to [supposedly] fix those "newly discovered" leaks in security, and to what? More and more patches. It doesn't surprise me that someone can crack into a M$ Win installed OS, what surprises me is that Linux can do what that "other" OS can't do.

M$ requires more and more things to protect its ever fragile OS's - Firewalls, Virus Protection, Security Patches, etc... Heck, I just found out that you can get a Firewall for Linux. As for the Virus programs, do they ACTUALLY "make" a virus program for Linux?

I would think that if I was a System Admin, concerned with the well-being, and safety of the Corporate Information, Machines, and the Intranet, I would CRINGE at the use of any M$ OS anywhere on the cluster. As a once famous person once said: Strength is only as strong as its weakest link. -=- If the system is connected to the internet, intranet, or is sitting out in a public place, it will be vulnerable to attack. You can protect it only so much. If someone wants to crack it, hack it, they will, given time, or resources, they will.

With that, I want to thank all in this thread that support the Security Issues, who posted informative responses to the author, and finally, thanks for not taking the "easy" response: "Most, if not all, Root passwords are likely to be GOD."

One final Thank You: For just proving that using Linux, or any of its many "flavors" - is a wise choice.

Cuddles

Junior Member registered user

Re: Knoppix CD as a rescue tool.

Quote Originally Posted by dmedici
    How truly secure is a password-protected BIOS? I wouldn't expect to see 99 out of 100 computers outside of a corporate environment secured with a password-protected BIOS, and from what I've seen in some of the corporations, I don't think there are too many there either. So does LINUX have a way to beat the BIOS password? Because now that I have my passwords set in BIOS, what else do I have to do to prevent that from being penetrated?
    Forget BIOs, just rip the HDD out of the box & install it into another box & boot with a Knoppix CD! Done.
    No Bios to fiddle around with, just a naked HDD.

R.

Member registered user
    Forget BIOs, just rip the HDD out of the box & install it into another box & boot with a Knoppix CD! Done.
    Well i'd just make the computer unbootable by picking it up, and slamming it into a wall.

Seriously though, we all say M$ security is bad, but if you try, it doesent have to be. Sure I live in the past (I hate WinXP patches... grrrr), but as far as any user knows, my computer doesent/barely exists. All my ports are stealthed via hardware firewall. Try and beat THAT!

missed the point.......

Quote Originally Posted by Razor-X
    Well i'd just make the computer unbootable by picking it up, and slamming it into a wall.

Seriously though, we all say M$ security is bad, but if you try, it doesent have to be. Sure I live in the past (I hate WinXP patches... grrrr), but as far as any user knows, my computer doesent/barely exists. All my ports are stealthed via hardware firewall. Try and beat THAT!
    Your missing the whole point Razor( and Cuddles too)...Data on any system, regardless of OS, firewall settings, etc. is vulnerable if the attacker has physical access to your machine. The exception being encrypted data, but even that can be compromised if the attacker has enough time to brute force the encryption.

My1cpu

Junior Member registered user
    To be honest with you demedici, the only way to stop this from being used against you is to get a mobile hard drive rack and to keep the rack with you at all times. You cant boot to a drive thats not there.

Very inefficient, but the safest way.

Re: CD Boot of a BIOS locked machine

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin...
    Well, usually it's pretty simple to bypass the BIOS password if a person can actually open the computer. Most (all ?) motherboards have a jumper that returns the BIOS to it's original settings, erasing passwords, etc. So you need to keep the case secured.
    ... just pull the battery for a couple of minutes. Easier than rubbing a bottle for the genie...

Smokin...
    The battery doesn't always do it, but if you don't know where the jumper is I guese it's worth a shot.

if you have access to the hardware you should sooner or later be able to get at the information, the quetion is more "when" tha if.
    i have helped friends wih crashed OS back things up too many times to remember, once i spent 19 hrs burnig CD's (some 49 CD's on a not too great burner).
    Knoppix saved his day.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast