Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: This is a grat hacking tool

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ozdream
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    No way to protect the files from being accessed. They can be encrypted though to prevent usage.

What??? Better check again there as there are many ways of preventing access and encryption can be broken.

Cheer's Glen Government IT Security
    Under circumstances for the average user (you may not apply, seeing where you work) my post applies.

If you want to get technical you can refer to my post earlier in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    The rule is: If you can access the machine you can hack the machine. If you want security the machine needs to be completely unaccessible, secondly it needs a BIOS password and the BIOS should be set so that the box will not boot from cd or floppy. Yes, Knoppix makes it unbelievably easy to do but it is not really anything new. Why would you hack your own employers server and write about it in a forum though?
    Entertainment at their expense

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    What made me even more interested in making a response to the whole thread was the fact that security in Linux is so serious, and not taken lightly, that someone can prove that "other" OS's lack so much of security.

I hate to say it, but security in any Win[fill in your version] is so lacking, I think M$ is more concerned that their security is mostly based on the fact that the system won't boot. IMHO
    In this context, knoppix would give you the same access to a system with Linux installed as it would a system with Windows.

Authentication, excluding BIOS, is software based and is dependent on the OS, which is entirely skipped when booting from CD.

HACKING WITH KNOPPIX

Hi every one im 16 and i go to valley center highschool and the other day i was laying in bed and i thought to myself hey i wonder if i could gain access to the server at school using knoppix? i dont use the word hacking because thats for losers that think they are "hackers" for getting past a damn password. but yea i was thinking hey what the hell i can gain access to my my computer at home with it and its password protected. So the night before i tested just to make sure you know it worked so i brought the disk to school the next day during computer class when teach wasnt looking i popped it in restarted and nothing happened right then i though these people arnt as stupid as i thought they were they programmed the bios to only load from the hard drive but we all know that is very easy to change but then guess what yup their was a stupid little bios password blocking me from total control of the principles files so i did the most simple search you can think of on google " bios hacking " hit enter and brought me to this site commited to bypassing bios passwords it said the easiest way to bypass it was to unplug the mouse and key board i said thats too easy but i tried and guess what it worked i was like W0W this is awsome it booted up and i had access to all administrative accounts and files BUT IM NOT A THIEF! ( and dont steal files from my employer) cough cough STUPID! i thought it was a harmless challenge and obviously knoppix came through genius!!!!! I PRAISE WHO EVER MADE KNOPPIX! well i hope you enjoyed my short story! ill enjoy reading more post on people who think they are hackers! peace out SCOTT[/i]

This seems a bit ironic - what you've done is hacking, despite the fact that you're trying to distance yourself from those whom you see as hackers, thereby making yourself "cool" in your mind. I'd advise that you tell the school of the security problem, and demonstrate Knoppix's abilities to them.
    I have done similar things myself, but given that I am actually an administrator... It's very useful to see what security holes there are, so I can fix them.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by TyphoonMentat
    This seems a bit ironic - what you've done is hacking, despite the fact that you're trying to distance yourself from those whom you see as hackers, thereby making yourself "cool" in your mind. I'd advise that you tell the school of the security problem, and demonstrate Knoppix's abilities to them.
    I have done similar things myself, but given that I am actually an administrator... It's very useful to see what security holes there are, so I can fix them.
    Right,

Also I would think the school would keep files like that server side with no remote access allowed. That way you'd have to get to the server locally to do anything with knoppix.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456