3 15.79%
  • Multimedia

0 0%
  • Desktop Publishing

0 0%
  • Other

7 36.84%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously Miffed @ KDE!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Member registered user
    Just a thought,

cupsd: Child exited with status 98!
    If a child exits with a status other then 1 or 0 it usually means something has been going wrong. Could it be that cuspd is a little upset because of that? I ask this because in your second message you said that you could print from kWrite. In a later message you said you couldn't. Maybe because a earlier printjob from Kate has messed things up?

Easy to find out. Reboot. Open a shell. Run the 'cupsd' command. What does it say? Print from kWrite. Is this succesfull?. Run the 'cupsd' command again. What does it say this time? Print from Kate. This will probally fail. See what cupsd has to say. Print from kWrite. What happens? What does cupsd say?

I know it does not help you much directly, but it might help you to find out where the problem is: with cupsd or Kate.

The last would be a pity, I am rather fond of her myself.

Would downgrading Kate be an option?

Success!

- - Edwin

Senior Member registered user
    To Edwin:
    Sorry if I lead you to believe that I can print from KWrite, because I can't print from anything!!!!

ARRGGGHHH,

are there specific reasons you are using v3.2?
    if there are, then good luck in figuring it out.....
    otherwise, if it was me, i would just one of the prior versions
    since i would know that it all worked.

To Mike:
    Like I said, I've been using V3.1-2003_01_01 at school with no problems. But I need the latest Java libraries from GCC or BlackDown. Both projects are trying to make a GPL version of Sun's Java SDK 1.4.1.

I need this in teaching AP Computer Science next year as I have to teach Java for the first time. However, the SDK libraries in 2003_01_01 are incomplete as GCC and BlackDown are still works in progress.

I was hoping to keep up with their updates as KNOPPIX is updated. Doesn't Klauss update all the software included on the CD each time he uploads a new version (with apt-get, etc.)?

Anyway, I did a clean boot and cupsd worked in the root shell without error, but nothing else happened. So I used the KNOPPIX Printer Configuration Tool and tried to print. I get each app I try to print from to freeze again with a dialog box like

Printing document: test.cc
    Generating print data: page 1
    <close>

To Edwin:
    When running cupsd after this happened, I get that excited child 98 error again. Is something wrong with the KNOPPIX Printer Configuration Tool after all???

OK, so I did another clean boot and http://localhost:631 did nothing in Konqueror. So I tried cupsd in the root shell and now I get an admin menu using http://localhost:631. Finally some progress. I haven't had a chance to play with this, but I am now at least hopeful that I'm going to get somehwere.

BTW, if I have success using http://localhost:631 now, that would mean the error is not in KATE (or anyother app I'm printing from), nor is the error with CUPS, its with the KNOPPIX Printer Configuration Tool! Something, I'm afraid, is seriously wrong with it!

To Klauss:
    Are you listening?

To Edwin:
    OK, I figured-out when cupsd returns that "98" error. Right after I boot-up the KNOPPIX CD, sudo cupsd (in shell) returns nothing, but starts the cups daemon as http://localhost:631 (in konqueror) works only after that.

Now, whether I configure the printer with

<K><KNOPPIX><Configure><Configure printer(s)>
    (the KNOPPIX Printer Configuration Tool)

or with

http://localhost:631
    (the cups admin webpage)

I then get the error right away. This happens in shell with sudo cupsd even before printing from the app of my choice. So its not KATE. Also, its not the KNOPPIX Printer Configuration Tool. It must be a problem with CUPS itself.

To Paradox:
    Thanx for your input, I now have the same results you have in the control center. However, printing as you suggest (with *.ps) is a bit too cumbersome for use on a daily basis with students....

To All:
    There's another twist. I can't print from any app, but the CUPS admin webpage can send a test print job to my printer and it comes out just fine. What's up with that???

TIA,

have you tried to find a newer librery of Java SDK 4 Linux/Red-Hat/
    Unix/Knoppix...?

If you find it, simply try replysing the corent file on the CD (copy CD 2 HD
    then look for tha file and change it with the new one, then reburn the CD,
    with tha new version on it. this might work or might not, I'm talkin about
    ver 3.1). hope it helped you out.

Sry 4 my mistakes.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    OK, I figured-out when cupsd returns that "98" error. Right after I boot-up the KNOPPIX CD, sudo cupsd (in shell) returns nothing, but starts the cups daemon as http://localhost:631 (in konqueror) works only after that.
    Ok, so cupsd is not started at boot on your system. And I also think that "98" status is not an error after all. I played around with cups a little and get that status after a succesfull print-job. I have seen the source of a few *NIX programs and in those returning anything but 1 or 0 meant an error. Seemed like a good convention to me, but cupsd might have other ideas.

There's another twist. I can't print from any app, but the CUPS admin webpage can send a test print job to my printer and it comes out just fine.
    Your're on to something here. This suggests the problem is _not_ cups. I just discovered /var/log/cups/error_log. This might shed some some light -or make your confusion all the greater- I cannot reproduce this problem and don't even know if this log is written to in a boot from CD. Another thing that you could try is to make a simple text file. Then in a console cd to the directory and type:
    'lp -d <printername> <filename>'
    Do this after another reboot and after starting cupsd again. What happens and what is in the logfile?

Succes,

- - Edwin

To Vider:
    I could go your route except for the fact that I lack the hardware resources necessary to remaster KNOPPIX!

To Edwin:
    OK, like you said, we're on to something here! Edwin, I dare say that you are a genius! Thanx so much, at least now I can print plain text.

I set up my local DeskJet 930C as mrg in cups without any error in error_log. Then I shelled lp -d mrg test.cc and got it printed (a simple hello world type C++ program)! Now this will work in class. However, this is just text - no color, no graphics. The cups test page had plain text, color text, graphics, etc.! My students were used to printing from KATE with color coded syntax on the color printer. Why can't I print directly from KATE to mrg (short for Mr. G), or from any app for that mater (text or not)? BTW, the error_log showed nothing bad after the print-out either.

Also, I see what you mean about error codes other than 0 or 1. In fact, in my programs I use cerr or return other than 0 from main for any error (0 is my only "good" error).

BTW, with a liveCD bootable Linux distro, everything runs from RAM instead of the hdd (this includes the entire filesystem). So the error_log file is rw.

Regards,

Am I the only one having all these difficulties printing with the latest KNOPPIX CD? I can't believe it, how can this be? I guess I've been spoiled with cups and the configuration tool....

I was so desperate recently that I rechecked the *.iso's md5sum (which I check right after downloading before burning anyway) and had no problem. I even tried the KNOPPIX testcd boot option and everything was OK. What gives here???

OK, so if its not cups, its probably not the Printer Configuration Tool either. BTW, its not KATE either because I printed (using ld) files created with KATE - I just can't print directly from KATE or any other app. SO WHAT IS WRONG???

BTW, this http://localhost web admin stuff is pretty convenient! Are there localhost options other than 631?

To Paradox:
    You suggested saving files to *.ps (or maybe even *.pdf) to preserve the color text and or graphics in an output file. Then you can print that file thru some sort of filter, right? Why would you need to do this if you didn't have trouble printing too?

Regards,

Member registered user
    I set up my local DeskJet 930C as mrg in cups without any error in error_log. Then I shelled lp -d mrg test.cc and got it printed (a simple hello world type C++ program)! Now this will work in class. However, this is just text - no color, no graphics. The cups test page had plain text, color text, graphics, etc.! My students were used to printing from KATE with color coded syntax on the color printer.
    I'm glad that you have now at least some print-capabillities that you can use in your classes. Now, if your students complain about the lack of color or graphics couldn't you turn that into a lesson about the importance of testing code before releasing it ;=) That is a lesson that cannot be teached too early, isn't it ;=)

But seriously, I think you should file a bug-report. It looks like something goes wrong in the interface between KDE applications and cups. The fact that cupsd is not started at boot has already been reported.

Am I the only one having all these difficulties printing with the latest KNOPPIX CD? I can't believe it, how can this be?
    Start a new thread with a subject that clearly states the problem. The replies could help your bug-report.

If you want to go at the bottom of this, here's a few more suggestions.
    - Use the greatest debugging-aid ever invented: don't look at a computer for a few days ;=)
    - The Printer Configuration Utillity has in the toolbar a button 'print server'. Choose 'Configure' and browse the options. There could be something there that is obviously wrong. Keep in mind that this tool is just a front-end to a config-file (I think). It can have bugs as well.... Maybe better to edit the config-file directly....?
    - In said 'Print Server Configuration Dialog' there is the option to set the level of logging. Set it to a higher level; like 'Full Debugging' or 'Errors'. I write this from memory, so these options might have other names, but you'll get the drift. After that go through the whole works again: print from Kate, check the log; print fom the console, check the log; and so on . Sprinkle with a few reboots.
    - These reboots are maybe not needed. But when trouble-shooting a computer I do it frequently. It has to do with my experience in the Mac-world. And old habits die hard.
    - Finally, there is some documention on cups: http://localhost:631/documentation.html

Succes,

- - Edwin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast