3 15.79%
  • Multimedia

0 0%
  • Desktop Publishing

0 0%
  • Other

7 36.84%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously Miffed @ KDE!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Senior Member registered user
    >>
    These reboots are maybe not needed. But when trouble-shooting a computer I do it frequently. It has to do with my experience in the Mac-world. And old habits die hard.
    <<

To Edwin:
    Yes, I do this too. However, I was thinking that it should only be necessary to kill offending processes (any frozen apps, cupsd itself). What do you think?

Anyway, so you think its something wrong with KDE? Its not just KDE apps I have trouble printing from. True, I've been using mainly KDE apps in class (Konqueror, Konsole, Kate) but I also opened a *.pdf file with acrobat reader and had the same trouble printing.

Maybe I should try some other apps or starting KNOPPIX with a different desktop manager. Does cups only work with KDE?

BTW, I've never submitted a bug report. What's involved? You say that the fact that cupsd doesn't start at boot-up has been reported. How do you know that? Did you report it? How do you see what's been reported? Is that in fact a bug? I never noticed if cupsd started at boo-up in other versions of KNOPPIX.

Regards,

Here's a bit of an update.

Using both http://localhost:631 and the <K><KNOPPIX><CONFIGURE><CONFIGURE RPINTERS> have the same result. There are no errors when printing plain text files or *.ps files using ld in the error_log.

Also, the app freezes when I print directly to a named printer from KATE, KWRITE and ACROBAT. However, GVIM prints directly to the printer (without a print dialog). Also VIM and KONQUEROR print to a named printer with a dialog box.

Do you see a pattern here? I thought it was KDE apps that had a problem, but KONQUEROR is fine and ACROBAT is not???

What do you think, y'all?

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Am I the only one having all these difficulties printing with the latest KNOPPIX CD? I can't believe it, how can this be? I guess I've been spoiled with cups and the configuration tool....
    Oh, no, no, no, my friend. Please see my thread in the hardware section called "Newbie - print drivers". Sounds like you're having very similar problems to mine. Only I don't have any answer for you. Knoppix 3.2 is my first adventure into Linux, so I chalked it all up to my inexperience, and doubtless, that's a factor. But someone already pointed out that there is a known bug working here. Stephen, through his help and expertise in shell commands, has gotten me really close to getting through setting up a printer, but I'm not there yet.

Hi J!

You mean
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3632
    right?

Yup, I just saw that thread. Thank God! I thought I was going insane....

Regards,

Member registered user
    Yes, I do this too. However, I was thinking that it should only be necessary to kill offending processes (any frozen apps, cupsd itself). What do you think?
    Actually I don't think it is necessary in Linux. 'Rebooting is only for hardware updates' an old Linux-hand told me once. But old habits die hard. Frozen applications and such are probably very well handled with 'kill' or 'killall' or 'pgrep' or something else, but I haven't figured these out yet.

Anyway, so you think its something wrong with KDE? Its not just KDE apps I have trouble printing from.
    Yes, I think so. KDE is after all the layer that sits on top of everything. Now I don't know how GUI programming under Linux works, but my reasoning is as follows: If your application needs to print you could go two ways. Call a low-level function like 'lp' or 'lpr' (yes, there is also a 'lpr' command - don't know why, probably to confuse newbies like me ;=) or call some function in the window manager's API. What would you do? I prefer the API way, and would write a wrapper around it, just in case. But this is Linux, there is no Code Police. As 'lp' works on your system I reckon something goes wrong in the API. Konqueror might use the low-level calls while Kate uses the API.

<BIGSMILE>Easy to find out. Download the source code and have a look</BIGSMILE>

BTW, does Mozilla print with your system? My version (1.0.0) uses the 'lpr' command.

The weird thing is that the problem is not consistent. There are more threads reporting printing problems. However I have tried a CD-boot on 5 different systems with Epson/Hp/Cannon on USB/Parallel/Network but can not reproduce the errors.

Maybe I should try some other apps or starting KNOPPIX with a different desktop manager. Does cups only work with KDE?
    Trying a different desktop manager is certainly worth a shot. And cups is just a printserver. In Linux you need a printserver, even on a standalone machine, to be able to print. It should work with every desktop.

BTW, I've never submitted a bug report. What's involved? You say that the fact that cupsd doesn't start at boot-up has been reported. How do you know that? Did you report it? How do you see what's been reported? Is that in fact a bug? I never noticed if cupsd started at boo-up in other versions of KNOPPIX.
    In the navigation bar at the top of this page is a tab 'Bugs'. That will take you to Bugzilla, a bug reporting and tracking tool. You have to register first. After that state your problem as clearly as you can and hope for the best. As to cupsd not starting up, in an earlier post you wrote:
    OK, I figured-out when cupsd returns that "98" error. Right after I boot-up theKNOPPIX CD, sudo cupsd (in shell) returns nothing, but starts the cups daemon as http://localhost:631 (in konqueror) works only after that.
    I then searched Bugzilla on 'cups' which turned up bug #157. It's status is 'new', meaning it is not accepted yet. But I think it is a bug (it isn't exactly a feature is it :=).

BTW, this error I *could* reproduce. My 20030606 CD does not start cupsd. But now I have second thoughts: if cupsd is not started on your system, how could you set up a printer? Hmmm... this problem is wierd. And oh, from another thread I learned that the right way to start it is: '/etc/init.d/cupsys'. To check if it is running you can use 'lpstat -r'.

Good luck with your efforts,

Regards,

- - Edwin

Hi All,

I am able to cause MrG's Kate problem working from KNOPPIX
    DVD. I expect this version is the same as the latest CD with
    respect to printing.

Kate prints just fine -- probably using lp as Edwin points out --
    when printing simple black text. But when you ask for a color
    syntax printout, Kate locks up and nothing happens. I expect
    that an image file is made and then the program to print
    out the postscript file is missing or faulty.

Dumb, old serial printers could not make pretty fonts and
    picture -- but they jumped to work when you gave them
    data and they didn't just sit ther thinking.

Best Wishes
    paradocs

Hi Paradox:
    OK, so its something to do with processing color text.

I wrote the files test.txt and test.cc in KATE. I can edit, save and load these files just fine. They had the exact same contents (a simple hello world program in c++). KATE color codes test.cc on screen when saved, but not test.txt. I can print test.txt directly to a named printer from KATE, but printing test.cc locks-up KATE.

BTW, printing color coded text from KATE to any color device freezes too! If I print test.cc (color coded on screen) to a *.ps or *.pdf file, KATE freezes.

If I then open test.cc in VIM, the color coding is preserved and I can print to a color device, but some lines are missing (those that were not color coded, ie: remained black) when I create test.ps or test.pdf. I can then print test.ps from KONQUEROR or KGhostView and test.pdf from ACROBAT (acroread). In ACROBAT, I cannot specify the named printer, instead I enter lp as the Print To Print Command.

Also, I can print test.cc directly to a named printer from VIM with all the color coding intact and no missing lines. The colors are different than in KATE, but consistent with c++ syntax (comments are a certain color, strings are a different color, types are yet another color, etc.). If I open test.txt with VIM and print to the named printer, I get the expected plain text hardcopy too, but only if I highlight the desired text with the mouse (it also prints all those "~" symbols). Doing the same with gvim, I can print without naming the printer and without highlighting the text (and none of the "~" symbols print out). Using GVIM is odd in that you cannot specify a printer so it prints to the default CUPS printer. However, then you can't print to the *.ps or *.pdf file formats as you can in VIM.

BTW, when I open test.txt, test.ps or test.pdf in MOZILLA, I can print to the named printer. The file test.txt prints as plain text and the other files print in color (black lines are missing). MOZILLA uses gv for test.ps and acroread for test.pdf but prints to lpr from acroread.

I suppose it goes without saying that I configured my printer using <K><KONQUEROR><CONFIGURE><CONFIGURE PRINTERS> (http://localhost:631 works fine too) and I can print using lp just fine. When I print test.cc or test.txt using lp I get plain text (no color). When I print test.ps or test.pdf using lp I get the color coding, but the black lines are lost. If I cat /var/log/cups/error_log after I send each print job, it is evident that CUPS set up a filter for text, ps and pdf (texttops, pstops and pdftops respectively).

Regarding the kill command. I tried to isolate the frozen process (KATE after printing color coded text to a color device) with the shell command ps. I get a list of processes, but none specifying KATE. How do I isolate KATE's process number so I can kill it alone, and leave all other processes running?

EDIT: OOPS, sorry, I forgot about ps -A -F.

I find the root cause of all this very baffling. I don't see a pattern to these errors. Do you have any more ideas? Is it a problem with kdelib?

EDIT: BTW, I just entered this thread into BugZilla as bug #217.

TIA,

Member registered user
    From our last exciting episode:

Quote Originally Posted by paradocs
    Kate prints just fine -- probably using lp as Edwin points out --
    when printing simple black text. But when you ask for a color
    syntax printout, Kate locks up and nothing happens. I expect
    that an image file is made and then the program to print
    out the postscript file is missing or faulty.
    And

OK, so its something to do with processing color text.
    Now I hate to be a spoilsport, but I tested with a file named "test.php". When opened in Kate she syntax-colored it very nice. When printed from Kate it came out of the printer just as on the screen _INCLUDING ALL THE COLORS_. No freeze or lock-up. And that on 5 different systems. Hmmm....what is happening here?

But anyway, I did some reading on cups. Then I did some more printing. All from Kate, all to an Epson 580 color, all from the same cpu. I made 2 files, 'test.php' and 'test.txt'. 'test.php' syntax-colors in Kate, 'test.txt' does not. I printed both from Kate. This is from the error_log (Time-stamps removed for better readabillity):

Job 11 queued on 'epson' by 'edwin'.
    Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 1000) for job 11.
    Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (PID 1001) for job 11.
    Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoprinter (PID 1002) for job 11.
    Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb (PID 1003) for job 11.

The output was the same for both files (except for the PID's and job-numbers).
    Then I printed the files using the 'lp' command. This showed up in the logs:

Job 13 queued on 'epson' by 'edwin'.
    Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops (PID 1012) for job 13.
    Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 1013) for job 13.
    Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (PID 1014) for job 13.
    Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoprinter (PID 1015) for job 13.
    Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb (PID 1016) for job 13.

From my reading I understand this to be the way cups works. But interesting is that the job is queued first, the filters are applied after that. And that Kate presents a PostScript file to cups, color-coded or not.

I am stabbing in the dark here, but maybe Kate makes a mistake when generating a PS-file with color-information. She sends the file to cups, waiting for the digital equivalent of a 'Thumbs-Up' from cups. Cups chokes on the file, not sending the 'Thumbs-Up'. So Kate just sits there. This 'thinking-aloud-stab' does not address the question why this only happens on your side of the ocean ;=)
    Could you post your error_log entries after a failed print attempt? I wonder how far cups gets.

I find the root cause of all this very baffling. I don't see a pattern to these errors.
    The only pattern I see is that, as far as I can see, you created your test.ps and test.pdf from VIM; any printing of them causes black text to disappear. The error is in the printer-driver that created them. But I might have overlooked something in your post. Did you try to print these files from Windows?
    Apart from that, it could be a diabolical plot from the combined printer-producers to bump up their sales in ink or toner.... Ah well, I should turn in for the night. I think I'll do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by paradocs
    Dumb, old serial printers could not make pretty fonts and
    picture
    Yeah, and a lot of people created ascii-art to compensate. Manager-types thought it looked like working, so they left you to it. Beats the Internet as a time-waster ;=)

EDIT: OOPS, sorry, I forgot about ps -A -F.
    Hey, thats what I have been looking for! Thank you!.

Regards,

- - Edwin

OK, by now I'm desperate to accept just about any explanation why this isn't working right. You say its the ocean now? OK, makes sense, I live right by the Atlantic, so while I wasn't looking, aliens from the 4th dimension that came from the 23rd and 1/2 century mind controled whales off shore to come into my house over night to hack my copy of 20030606. Yup, that's it!

Now, seriously, you think its a problem with the print driver CUPS uses for my printer or the *.ps filter CUPS is using?

Well, here's my error log after boot and configuring printer "mrg" before I print anything. I'm out off my office for the summer, so I'm stuck testing on one local printer. If I were at work, I could test local vs. networked, inkjet verses laser, etc.

cat /var/log/cups/error_log
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:05 +0200] Listening to 0:631
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:05 +0200] Loaded configuration file "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf"
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:05 +0200] Configured for up to 100 clients.
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:05 +0200] Allowing up to 100 client connections per host.
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:05 +0200] Full reload is required.
    E [22/Jul/2003:22:32:05 +0200] LoadAllClasses: Unable to open /etc/cups/classes.conf - No such file or directory
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:07 +0200] LoadPPDs: Read "/etc/cups/ppds.dat", 209 PPDs...
    E [22/Jul/2003:22:32:07 +0200] LoadPPDs: Unable to write "/etc/cups/ppds.dat" - Read-only file system
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:07 +0200] Full reload complete.
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:58 +0200] Setting mrg device-uri to "parallel:/dev/lp0" (was "file:/dev/null".)
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:58 +0200] Saving printers.conf...
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:58 +0200] New printer 'mrg' added by ''.
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:58 +0200] Printer 'mrg' modified by ''.
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:58 +0200] Printer 'mrg' now accepting jobs ('').
    I [22/Jul/2003:22:32:58 +0200] Printer 'mrg' started by ''.

Also, the test.txt and test.cc files print as plain text in M$ WINDOZE using M$ NOTEPAD. Further test.gs (with GV for WINDOZE) and test.pdf (Acrobat Reader for WINDOZE) print-out just the same as in KNOPPIX (still missing the black text).

I'm working on the rest of your post.

Regards,

And the saga continues:

/var/log/cups/error_log is empty right after booting the CD.

After configuring the printer, the error_log was like my last post.

Job1 = test.pdf printed from ACROREAD to mrg (HP DeskJet 930C). This printed fine and in color text + no freeze! The only problem is that the black text never was written by VIM to the *.pdf file in the first place....
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:02:45 +0200] Adding start banner page "none" to job 1.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:02:45 +0200] Adding end banner page "none" to job 1.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:02:45 +0200] Job 1 queued on 'mrg' by 'knoppix'.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:02:45 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 168 for job 1.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:02:45 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 1689) for job 1.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:02:45 +0200] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 1690) for job 1.

Job2 = test.ps printed from KONQUEROR (which probably is using a GV plug-in) to mrg (HP DeskJet 930C). This printed fine and in color text + no freeze! The only problem is that the black text never was written by VIM to the *.ps file in the first place....
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:09:08 +0200] Adding start banner page "none" to job 2.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:09:08 +0200] Adding end banner page "none" to job 2.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:09:08 +0200] Job 2 queued on 'mrg' by 'knoppix'.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:09:08 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 2092) for job 2.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:09:08 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 2093) for job 2.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:09:08 +0200] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 2094) for job 2.

Job3 = test.txt printed from KATE to mrg (HP DeskJet 930C). This printed fine and in plain text (no color) + no freeze!
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:12:18 +0200] Adding start banner page "none" to job 3.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:12:18 +0200] Adding end banner page "none" to job 3.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:12:18 +0200] Job 3 queued on 'mrg' by 'knoppix'.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:12:18 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 2321) for job 3.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:12:18 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 2322) for job 3.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:12:18 +0200] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 2323) for job 3.

JobX = test.cc printed from KATE to mrg (HP DeskJet 930C). This did not print anything (should have been in color text) + KATE froze! There was no entry for this job (should have been Job4) in the error_log....

Job4 = test.pdf printed with lp to mrg (HP DeskJet 930C). This printed fine and in color text! The only problem is that the black text never was written by VIM to the *.pdf file in the first place....
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:18:33 +0200] Adding start banner page "none" to job 4.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:18:33 +0200] Adding end banner page "none" to job 4.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:18:33 +0200] Job 4 queued on 'mrg' by 'knoppix'.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:18:33 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops (PID 2741) for job 4.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:18:33 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 2742) for job 4.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:18:33 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 2743) for job 4.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:18:33 +0200] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 2744) for job 4.

Job5 = test.ps printed with lp to mrg (HP DeskJet 930C). This printed fine and in color text! The only problem is that the black text never was written by VIM to the *.ps file in the first place....
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:20:07 +0200] Adding start banner page "none" to job 5.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:20:07 +0200] Adding end banner page "none" to job 5.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:20:07 +0200] Job 5 queued on 'mrg' by 'knoppix'.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:20:07 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 2849) for job 5.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:20:07 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 2850) for job 5.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:20:07 +0200] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 2851) for job 5.

Job6 = test.txt printed with lp to mrg (HP DeskJet 930C). This printed fine and in plain text (no color)!
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:22:01 +0200] Adding start banner page "none" to job 6.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:22:01 +0200] Adding end banner page "none" to job 6.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:22:01 +0200] Job 6 queued on 'mrg' by 'knoppix'.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:22:01 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops (PID 2974) for job 6.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:22:01 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 2975) for job 6.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:22:01 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 2976) for job 6.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:22:01 +0200] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 2977) for job 6.

Job7 = test.cc printed with lp to mrg (HP DeskJet 930C). This printed fine and in plain text (no color)!
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:23:09 +0200] Adding start banner page "none" to job 7.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:23:09 +0200] Adding end banner page "none" to job 7.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:23:09 +0200] Job 7 queued on 'mrg' by 'knoppix'.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:23:09 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops (PID 3056) for job 7.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:23:10 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 3057) for job 7.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:23:10 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip (PID 305 for job 7.
    I [24/Jul/2003:12:23:10 +0200] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel (PID 3059) for job 7.

BTW, the file test.cc is as follows.

//main routine
    int main()
    {
    cout << "This is a test!!!" << endl;
    return 0;
    }

This is exactly what printed-out in Job3, Job6 and Job7. The color print-outs (Job1, Job2, Job4 and Job5) only show the following.

//main routine <--blue
    int <--green

"This is a test!!!" <--red
    return <--orange 0 <--red

These are the on-screen colors in ACROREAD and KONQUEROR(GV). The original colors in KATE are as follows.

//main routine <--grey
    int <-- brown main() <--black
    { <--black
    cout <--black << "This is a test!!!" <--red << endl; <--black
    return <--bold black 0 <--blue ; <--black
    } <--black

In other words, the print driver used in VIM to convert to *.ps or *.pdf file formats lost all the black code. Needless to say that VIM also has different color coded syntax to start with.

Regards,

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast