Thread: vmware.pl and gcc version

Member registered user

vmware.pl and gcc version

I was able to get vmware 4.0 installed on knoppix (debian as it is not on the HD). However when i went to run the console configuration as root I get the following error message:

Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "2.95.4", while you are trying to use
    "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.2.3". This configuration is not supported and VMware
    Workstation cannot work in such configuration. Please either recompile your
    kernel with "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.2.3", or restart /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
    with CC environment variable pointing to the "gcc" version "2.95.4".

I'd like to opt for the last option presented to me and set the CC environment variable to point to gcc 2.95.4 which I believe is located on my system in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.4

If anyone reading this can inform me of how to set this environment variable it would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Member registered user

Re: vmware.pl and gcc version

Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusa
    I was able to get vmware 4.0 installed on knoppix (debian as it is not on the HD). However when i went to run the console configuration as root I get the following error message:

"/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.2.3". This configuration is not supported and VMware
    Workstation cannot work in such configuration. Please either recompile your
    kernel with "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.2.3", or restart /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl
    with CC environment variable pointing to the "gcc" version "2.95.4".

I'd like to opt for the last option presented to me and set the CC environment variable to point to gcc 2.95.4 which I believe is located on my system in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.4

If anyone reading this can inform me of how to set this environment variable it would be greatly appreciated.
    export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-2.95 in a console window as root or change the symbolic link to point to gcc-2.95 ln -s /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 also root in a console window.

Member registered user

no luck

the export worked. i went to create the simlink and got:

ln: `/usr/bin/gcc-2.95': File exists

so i renamed it to gcc-2.95.orig, and created the simlink as specified.

now the error I get is:

Unable to find the compiler specified in the CC environnment variable:
    "/usr/bin/gcc-2-95".

I also tried extracting 2-95.4 and got:

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc-2-95.4". Use environment variable CC to override.

"/usr/bin/gcc-2-95.4" version "3.2.3". This configuration is not supported and
    VMware Workstation cannot work in such configuration. Please either recompile
    your kernel with "/usr/bin/gcc-2-95.4" version "3.2.3", or restart
    /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl with CC environment variable pointing to the "gcc"
    version "2.95.4".

any suggestions?

Re: no luck

the export worked

any suggestions?
    I would use the export method it works and makes no changes to the system it only applies to the bash session you are in. Also you could try creating the link while in the while in the /usr/bin directory that way there would be no path in front of the link just the gcc-2.95 that it is looking for. eg while in the /usr/bin as root ln -s gcc gcc-2.95.

Member registered user

nope

from a fresh root bash session I deleted previous simlinks to gcc-2.95 .. exported againg, simlinked from in /usr/bin . rand the vmware-config.pl and got:

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc-2.95". Use environment variable CC to override.

"/usr/bin/gcc-2.95" version "3.2.3". This configuration is not supported and
    your kernel with "/usr/bin/gcc-2.95" version "3.2.3", or restart
    ./vmware-config.pl with CC environment variable pointing to the "gcc" version
    "2.95.4".

it seems to be seing the 3,2,3 despite my efforts to tell it otherwise

Re: nope

' cd /usr/bin '
    ' ln gcc-2.95 gcc -sfn '

--Then redo the vmware config without exporting the cc var. This will permanently tell gcc to use the 2.95 version.

from a fresh root bash session I deleted previous simlinks to gcc-2.95 .. exported againg, simlinked from in /usr/bin . rand the vmware-config.pl and got:

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc-2.95". Use environment variable CC to override.

"/usr/bin/gcc-2.95" version "3.2.3". This configuration is not supported and
    your kernel with "/usr/bin/gcc-2.95" version "3.2.3", or restart
    ./vmware-config.pl with CC environment variable pointing to the "gcc" version
    "2.95.4".

it seems to be seing the 3,2,3 despite my efforts to tell it otherwise

Member registered user

thanks Dave!

Thanks dave, using that method worked. I'm still a little unclear on why the kernel was complied with a different version that was included with my stem. anyway one more question. Is it fine to leave my gcc set like this to 2.95 or should I go about setting it back to 3.3 (and if so how do i do that?).

Re: thanks Dave!

--You're better off leaving it at 2.95, that's the word I've been hearing anyway.

Thanks dave, using that method worked. I'm still a little unclear on why the kernel was complied with a different version that was included with my stem. anyway one more question. Is it fine to leave my gcc set like this to 2.95 or should I go about setting it back to 3.3 (and if so how do i do that?).