Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix on Mac

Junior Member registered user
    Since I love mac's and linux, but never yet ran linux from my ibook, I burnt two iso's mentioned in this thread,

knoppix-MiB-PPC-alpha-2e.iso
    knx-pcc-2003-07-13_4.iso

and tried to boot my iBook from them. But they were not recognisable and nothing happened, unlike with

gentoo-ppc-1.4_rc7-kde-020603.iso

[which on the other hand does not provide you with a live kde desktop; it's just made for installing the real thing - which i can't do since I don't know how to nondestructively repartition the single mac partition on my ibook]

I would love to try these out - why: because it's there, or should be. [I have this ambition to give a conference power point type presentation on my iBook but starting from a live linux environment, just to show the world it can be done.]

I burnt the cd's in a standard sort of way using xcdroast on an ordinary linux machine. Should I have done something special to make them bootable?

I don't know if xcdroast can burn such iso. K3b can't burn bootable hybrid mac iso, there is a bug.

I suggest you to use gcombust, and before to check md5sum and gpg sign.

On the ibook the knoppix-Mib run with "knoppix xserver=fbdev" at boot. The knx-ppc should run the same.

Quote Originally Posted by fleny68
    I don't know if xcdroast can burn such iso. K3b can't burn bootable hybrid mac iso, there is a bug.

I suggest you to use gcombust, and before to check md5sum and gpg sign.

On the ibook the knoppix-Mib run with "knoppix xserver=fbdev" at boot. The knx-ppc should run the same.
    Thanks! I tried buring the isos on the iBook, using Roxio Toast, and they work!

Thanks also for the xserver=fbdev tip. This is very important!

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by fleny68
    I won't dispute the existence of a bug but it seems rather unlikely since both applications are merely frontends for the same program- cdrecord. An .iso is an .iso. Burning an .iso for mac is the same as for pc. It is the file structure that differs and there are different tools for creating these file structures.

mkisofs can make both types.

see man mkhybrid for more on HFS

To burn an .iso in Linux simply do this:

cdrecord -scanbus

That will get you all of the drives on the SCSI BUS. Remember: in Linux if SCSI emulation is on your IDE cdroms will be on the SCSI BUS. Then just use the correct drive and speed in the following:
    Code:
    cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,1,0 Knoppix3.2.iso
    That's it.

There are some great tools for HSF
    Code:
    apt-get install hfsplus hfsutils hfsutils-tcltk
    Then you can work with HFS from Linux with a GUI.

xhfs

I confirm. K3b suppress the apple partiition table when it burn the iso. With the same iso, gcombust works correctly.

testing on PPC results

i tried the knoppix ppc version on my Power Mac G4733Mhz the screen is a flat screen20" . i got the lilo like prompt on which i could type knoppix or knoppix-txt . i tried both but none worked. i am not sure what happened X or something else I never got the hand back and after couple of messages the screen got all scrambled.
    if you need me for more testing please let me know .Thanks.
    Kemal
    asad@club-internet.fr.

Re: testing on PPC results

Quote Originally Posted by casterman
    i tried the knoppix ppc version on my Power Mac G4733Mhz the screen is a flat screen20" . i got the lilo like prompt on which i could type knoppix or knoppix-txt . i tried both but none worked. i am not sure what happened X or something else I never got the hand back and after couple of messages the screen got all scrambled.
    On an iBook I had to do knoppix xserver=fbdev. Don't know what this means but it worked... Now I'm trying to do a data-projector or beamer show using the iBook's video-out port. I was recommended by Yves Combe who does the ppc port of knopppix-mib to try adding "video=aty128fb:crt:1,lcd:0" at boot, with maybe screen="1024x768" or something like that. Well, the data projector recognised that there was something coming from the computer but it only projected a blank screen. Still, progress is being made. And knoppix-mib-ppc is really great!

Senior Member registered user
    I don't have any apple machines so this is purely a theoretical question, but will the installer work on macs?

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    I don't have any apple machines so this is purely a theoretical question, but will the installer work on macs?
    That's a good question. My guess is you might have to do your
    disk partitioning in advance with other tools... I hope some day people will add hfs and hfs+ support for all the operations which parted can do, so we can nondestructively repartition mac hard drives. It seems impossible at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    but will the installer work on macs?
    I just checked - there is no knx-hdinstall in knoppix-mib-ppc alpha 2e

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast