Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix on Mac

Senior Member registered user

Knoppix on Mac

Hi,

I did some hacking during LinuxTag and made an initial prototype for Knoppix
    on Macs. (no cloop yet, though, so don't expect wonders)

It has some problems but should be bootable and find most hardware, although
    it has not modelines for all things. So X can make problems.

My problem is, that I don't have a mac and had to work with the powerbook
    someone had, but it did work on his and on other macs on the LinuxTag booth.

it has only some base software installed (e.g. no kde and is only for testing
    purposes, so no production quality)

It was more a proof-of-concept, than a whole distribution ... (but there will
    possibly other guys working on it)

Heh, what do you expect in 3-4 days+nights ?

One Mirror is online, please test as I had some problems with md5-sums and
    reading the CD-image . (and with no mac, I can't test it myself)

http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/powerPC/

Thanx!

cu

Fabian
    Just like the topic says Knoppix for a Mac a work in progress that needs some testing so anyone who has a Mac may want to give it a try and provide some feedback to the developers.

Where did you find this info Stephen? I have a Mac but it's an old world. I wonder if it will boot or not. They're really a PITA. Of course I can always just dl it and find out right?! I'd love to see this come together then I won't have to deal with this ridiculous rpm based distro nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Where did you find this info Stephen? I have a Mac but it's an old world. I wonder if it will boot or not. They're really a PITA. Of course I can always just dl it and find out right?! I'd love to see this come together then I won't have to deal with this ridiculous rpm based distro nonsense!
    It was a post by Fabian to the developers list I've a couple of other people posting there wanting a Mac version I guess that must have the ideas going at the conference.

Junior Member registered user
    Hello
    I have a Mac set up just for testing Knoppix on, I already have one version of Knoppix for the PPC, I am more than willing to run any tests or try any ideas you have.
    I will try to get a download by tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rono64
    Hello
    I have a Mac set up just for testing Knoppix on, I already have one version of Knoppix for the PPC,
    Am I to understand that you have a version of Knoppix for ppc other than the one Stephen just posted a link to?

Hello,

There is a working early alpha version of knoppix PPC. It's a port of the knoppix-MiB version.

There is cloop, loop-aes, XFree4.3, OOo...

Could you send me a mail (fleny68 at free.fr), we could work together to obtain something better.

The Knoppix MiB page (the ppc iso is in the mirrors):
    http://www.bouissou.net/knoppix-mib/...oppix-mib.html

The Knoppix MIB ppc is really good considering it's in alpha stage.
    I have run it on a 233 iMac and a G4 cube.
    All the hardware and peripherals are recognized, and I was most impressed at the sped and peripheral recognition on the G4, I have lots of firewire drives and burners connected to the cube.
    If either person needs hardware testing done for their ppc builds, I will gladly volunteer my time and equipment.

Knoppix MIB should be on the Knoppix Customizations page

If this Knoppix MIB works even halfway decent on PPC then shouldn't it be posted on the Knoppix Customizations page? How does one go about suggesting that?

I definitely plan on downloading and trying the MIB version out on my iMac today.

I might try out this hacked, no cloop, version too if people give it good reviews.

Re: Knoppix MIB should be on the Knoppix Customizations page

Quote Originally Posted by podious
    If this Knoppix MIB works even halfway decent on PPC then shouldn't it be posted on the Knoppix Customizations page? How does one go about suggesting that?
    All of the documentation on this site has been created by Knoppix users. The wiki is open to anyone and everyone- just like Linux

Feel free to add to it as you like. There is even a practice page where you can learn how to format pages on the wiki. (All the way at the bottom).

Mac on a Powerbook G4

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3626

This is the original post, about Knoppix running on VPC6 under OSX; it's slow and nasty, but I imagine it would be easy to make a Debian port to Mac OSX. I don't remember the site, but there was a very popular howto on running Debian on an iBook. Maybe you could google it and come up with some better results? Keep me posted on your progress. ^_^

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast