Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remote login to Linux

NBCthreat

Remote login to Linux

Is it possible to remote login to a PC running knoppix via telnet?

Member registered user
    Depends if you are running a telnet daemon or not and whether you have your firewall set to allow entry. Personally I would use SSH, its far more secure (telnet sends password in clear text, albeit one packet per letter. Check out dsniff by Dug Song for why that's still a problem).

Senior Member registered user
    On server side (all as root

...set up networking (man ifconfig) so you have a valid IP address on eth0... (192.168.0.1 or whatever)
    then:

' /etc/init.d/ssh start ' == Start the Secure Shell login daemon

(' man ssh ' ; ' man sshd ' == For more info)

On the client side (if Linux: )
    ' ssh -2 -C 192.168.0.1 ' == Start secure shell with protocol version 2 and compression. If you'd like more than 1 terminal for the remote session, see ' man screen '; personally, I use ' screen -aA ' and then Ctrl-A,C to start new sessions; Ctrl-A,[spacebar] to toggle between sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Flibble
    Depends if you are running a telnet daemon or not and whether you have your firewall set to allow entry. Personally I would use SSH, its far more secure (telnet sends password in clear text, albeit one packet per letter. Check out dsniff by Dug Song for why that's still a problem).

NBCthreat

Remote login

Gentlemen:

I'm wanting to telnet from a Windows 2k computer on the same intranet. How would I go about that?

NBCthreat
    I did, by the way, get ssh to work using putty from the Windows 2k machine. Thanks for the help. Telnet would be a good thing to know how to do as well, however, since it's preinstalled on all windows machines.

telnet server is not installed

Neither telnetd nor telnetd-ssl are on my knoppix system. You would have to install a telnet server daemon to be able to telnet into your knoppix box, which would be easy with a hdd install, not so easy if you are running from CD.

HTH,

rock

NBCthreat
    Thanks Rock.

OK, tell me if I can do this. I have my students booting "poor man's install" on 24 networked PCs in my lab. Can I setup one of the PCs to run linux 24x7 installing debian to the hdd and then setting up user accounts there that my students could login to remotely, retrieve and save their work, etc? Also, could I make this "server" accessible from my students' home PCs?

What would be the best way to do this.

TIA,

Junior Member registered user
    Jorge,
    this should be possible (and possibly even simple to accomplish), but first we need to know some stuff:

1. This computer you intend to use as a server, does it have a public IP (meaning, an IP that can be directly connected to from the Internet)? If not you will have to talk to your administrator to set up SSH and FTP forwaring to your server.

2. With Debian, installing the needed software should be easy. The SSH daemon is installed by default so that's no problem. Then you'll need an FTP server so the students can store and retrieve files easily. Or you could set up SSH to allow file transfers but that can be a little tricky for the students to get used to. I recommend ProFTPd. It's easy to set up and works very well.

If you don't need the users to be able to log in and use the computer remotely (except for downloading and uploading their work) you can set their accounts' shell to /bin/false. This will make it impossible for them to log in (from the terminal or using SSH). Then set the variable RequireValidShell in /etc/proftpd.conf for "no" and your students should be able to log in (if you have created accounts for them on the server).

You could also set up NFS shares so the users can copy their files to and from the server even easier. If you have Windows machines in your classroom (or on your network) you could use Samba to create Windows shares on the server as well.

hw

I can get an ip address from the "server" pc when I run ifconfig. I don't know if its availbale outside the building howerver, I 'll have to look into that.

Well, a few years ago I had slackware set up so the students automatically logged into a remote "server" just using xserver? I don't recall. However, this would require an hdinstall on every pc. I'd like to keep the students booting the CD - its just more goof-proof....

I'm hdinstalling the "server" of course!

Regards,

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast