Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New remaster- Overclockix

Senior Member registered user
    arkaine23,

I'll finally try it on my NF7-S rig. I just DLed it and will burn it later this week.

Cya later,

hello!

as i assume - extracting iso to hdd and boot with floppy, should work the same as booting with cd.
    i'v tried with the resolv.conf but it doesn't work.
    when i start the netcardconfig it just says "no supported card found" (sth like that).

while booting all regognized devices are listed but there's no netcard and the message is shown: "Configuring network interfaces... Operation failed"

audioaficionado: i'm waiting for your experiments with overclockix and i hope u'll succeed and help the others ...

tigrris

What I did was compile nvnet from source. Someone reported back that it worked on an A7N8X (non-deluxe). I've also had reports that it doesn't work on A7N8X deluxe and mixed results on NF7's. I have an 8rda and an A7N8X non-deluxe, but those computers are in storage for a few more days until I can finish moving... I'll test them, and I'd appreciate anyone else who tries Overclockix on an NForce2 board to let me know if the onboard NIC works.

You can always use a PCI NIC......

Overclockix is essentially Knoppix STD but the desktop is tweaked and there are burn-in applications and DC clients and some added filesystem utilities and low-level hardware tools..

Just wanted to say I love having the nforce drivers and F@H all on one CD. Thanks, it works great with my NF7-S.

Quote Originally Posted by PS2pcGAMER
    Just wanted to say I love having the nforce drivers and F@H all on one CD. Thanks, it works great with my NF7-S.
    could u give us some more details? which revision of nf7-s? r u using overclockix? does it detect your NIC autamatically?

Some things I forgot to mention about folding and seti:

1) USB pen drive persisent home rocks! Keeps your wu's safe against a reboot/ or powerloss.

2) If you want to use wine for folding@home, and later decide to switch back to using native linux, make sure to delete your FahCore_*.exe's. My script winefold does this automatically, but my scripts for native linux don't. It's just a good idea in general to delete the cores when switching between the win and lin folding clients in order to prevent WU corruption or stalling due to FahCore problems.

PS. hope my documentation is not too confusing.

New link: http://overclockix.octeams.com

Follow the links on that temporary page.

I'm now working on a new one, that's been apt-get upgraded (so most installed software is newer). I also added mozilla-firebird, mplayer and codecs, and Switched out openoffice 1.0.3 to Openoffice 1.1. Still woking on it. Need to alter the menus a bit for ice, flux, and KDE. And I'm trying to get transperancy to work in lfuxbox- so I'll probably install eterm and use esetroot instead of bsetbg for the backgrounds.

HD-install notes

I'm posting this in a few different threads to make it more visible for people who hdd-install Overclockix. I can say for sure that samba is configured correctly and works out-of-the-box so-to-speak when you hdd-install. When mapping network drives from windows- \\hostname\Overclockix will share the whole filesystem, or \\hostname\Homes will map just the home directories. Either way will allow access to the folding directory for EM3.

Here are some notes for you from my own hdd-install experience. I used one of the Technomancer builds, the beta's of Overclockix that have some newer, more desktop/multimedia-oriented software. Some things may apply to the "Eidolon" build and some may not.

The folder karmaba on the desktop has no icon. Set an icon for it by right-clicking it and choosing properties.
    The folder karamba has no default application associated with it. Enter "/usr/bin/konqueror" in the dialog box that pops up and click the checkbox to remember that association.
    The items inside the karamba folder need a slight edit. Right-click and choose properties. Go to the "Execute tab". In there, there's a line that has a long path which is the launch command for a particular karamba theme. Here's an example of what I'm talking about :

/usr/bin/karamba /KNOPPIX/data/karambatheme/Desktop/systemslickblue/systemslickblue.theme

You need to remove the "/KNOPPIX" so it looks like this:
    /usr/bin/karamba /data/karambatheme/Desktop/systemslickblue/systemslickblue.theme

This is merely the result of thge re-ordering of files between the CD filesystem and your hdd install. There is no longer a /KNOPPIX once you've hdd installed so the paths to these karmab themes are broken and need this minor correction.

Viewfold script does not run correctly because the user knoppix no longer has super-excessive priveldges as a sudoer. You can alter permission of any custom script by becoming root and using chmod command on the script. For example:

su
    chmod +x /usr/local/bin/viewfold

Or you can give the user knoppix super privledges as a sudoer:

su
    cd /etc
    visudo -f sudoers

uncomment (remove the "#" from) the last line which starts with #knoppix (this is vi , so just use the arrow keys to get the cursor on the "#" and then press x. Press- esc : w q when finished.

Setting up folding:

su
    foldstartup
    cfgfold
    cd /etc/rc5.d
    ln -s /usr/local/bin/foldon S99foldon
    cd /etc/rc2.d
    cd /etc/rc3.d
    foldoff
    foldon

If you prefer non-gromacs, use "foldon65" everywhere you see "foldon" above.

The procedure is the same for seti, but the command is setion instead of foldon, and cfgseti instead of cfgfold.

OpenOffice- as a regular user:
    rm -rf /home/knoppix/.openoffice//1.1.0
    ooffice

Mozilla-firebird is not starting for me.... Here's how I fixed it:
    su
    apt-get update
    apt-get remove mozilla-firebird
    apt-get install mozilla-firebird

Mplayer- gmplayer is the command that launches this app. It may not be in the kmenu depending on the build of overclockix you have.

You may need to do a little kmenuediting. This is not very hard. Run the command kmenuedit. I think you'll be able to look at what's there and figure out how to add new things. While you're at it, have some fun customizing the stuff found in the Control Center. There are more background screens in /usr/share/wallpapers and more icons in /usr/share/icons. You can of course download you own as well. www.kde-look.org is a great place to find cool stuff for you desktop. Some of the custom fluxbox settings didn't seem to take either, so you can edit the fluxbox config files in /home/knoppix/.fluxbox

Xchat icon in the taskbar is not working. Fix= delete it and create a new one. Same with gimp and xmms. Again, there are a couple of builds of Overclockix so I'm not sure if this problem exists in all of them.

Arkaine23,

I tryied your CD with NFORCE2 drivers - network works fine, but there is no audio. I have Shuttle XPC SN41G2.

Any ideas what's wrong?

It' would be really nice to have a perfect CD (all hardware works).

Don't I know it. I tried compiling the nvaudio driver but didn't have any luck there. The source for it is still on the CD (in /usr/src), so if you hdd install you may be able to compile it.

Maybe the knoppix=alsa will work?? I was more concerned about the NIC than the Sound since I have a Santa Cruz card and it works fine with Overclockix, but I may take another crack at it soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast