Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KnoppiXMAME

Junior Member registered user

KnoppiXMAME

Hello fellow Knoppix lovers!

I have made my own mini-Knoppix distribution. The goal should be obvious, based on the name

KnoppiXMAME removes nearly all add-on software from Knoppix and boots into the memory-minimal fluxbox window manager with the wonderful gxmame frontend to X-MAME as the first thing your eyes see after boot and autoconfiguration.

The CD weighs in at 266MB and includes a kernel optimized for interactive performance and networking disabled for stress-free (nobody can remotely hack a box with no networking!) classic gaming.

I wanted not only to announce the immediate availability of KnoppiXMAME, but to see if my modifications may be of use to other projects. Of most interest to me was some mention of using Knoppix as a direct-to-disk recording DAW. If anyone already has created a project for this and would like another member, please contact me. Anyone who wants to start up a DAW project who hasn't already, please contact me.

Oh yeah, you can get KnoppiXMAME at ibiblio.org in /pub/linux/system/emulators. Version 0.5 should be hitting the mirrors in the next couple of days with the newest X-MAME 0.62.2 included and *all* renderers: x11, xgl, ggi, SDL, and svgalib.

Senior Member registered user
    I downloaded it over a week ago. Has it been updated, or should I keep what I have?

Quote Originally Posted by stonent
    I downloaded it over a week ago. Has it been updated, or should I keep what I have?
    I finished my latest release image earlier today, but uploading it takes about three hours for me and it failed the first time. I'm going to crash out now because it's midnight here, so I am hopeful the files will be on ibiblio by morning. They generally sit in the public incoming folder for a while before getting moved over to /pub/linux/system/emulators, so give the incoming folder a peek if you don't see V0.5 yet.There is also a project page on freshmeat for it which I will update as soon as ibiblio has the iso.

How do you

add roms to the main cd?

Later,
    dabone

Re: How do you

Quote Originally Posted by dabone
    add roms to the main cd?

Later,
    dabone
    Follow the Knoppix-ReimasteringHOWTO on this site. Put all your roms in /mame/roms and samples in /mame/samples. the folders are already on the CD, they are just empty.

Alternatively if you have a second CD-ROM, just put your roms on that when you boot knoppixmame and go to 'File' in gxmame and pick 'Audit All Games' to have your own roms show up in the frontend.

Senior Member registered user
    I like the idea behind KnoppixMame, but I think you were a bit hasty in assuming that people wouldn't want network access on it.

Personally, I'd like to make a net-boot arcade cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by stonent
    I like the idea behind KnoppixMame, but I think you were a bit hasty in assuming that people wouldn't want network access on it.

Personally, I'd like to make a net-boot arcade cabinet
    That is certainly possible. You can use the original Knoppix kernel in /KNOPPIX/boot.img on the CD. I am also going to be including different kernels as boot parameter options for KnoppiXMAME in furure versions. One with networking is certainly doable.

Member registered user
    FYI

I would also like to point out that, legally, roms can only be used if you also own the machine they are from. This would make a distro with rom images included most likely quite illegal.

KnoppiXMAME iso image:hard to get

It's a couple of days I am trying to download from official site but it turned out to be impossible to access.
    Today I started browsing mirror sites and finally found KnoppiXMAME on a Swiss ftp but:
    - size of file is 211MB
    - after download gunzip step halts with a message of "unexpected end of file".

Do you have any suggestion or an alternative address where to pick it up?

TIA

Re: KnoppiXMAME iso image:hard to get

Quote Originally Posted by lrf

It's a couple of days I am trying to download from official site but it turned out to be impossible to access.
    Today I started browsing mirror sites and finally found KnoppiXMAME on a Swiss ftp but:
    - size of file is 211MB
    - after download gunzip step halts with a message of "unexpected end of file".

Do you have any suggestion or an alternative address where to pick it up?

TIA
    Here is the location all new versions wind up in:

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/emulators
    or
    http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/emulators

You may not be downloading the official KnoppiXMAME. The release version is a standard .iso and not gzipped. There is also a .md5 file to check it with in the directory on ibiblio.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast