Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix-install from Fabian Franz

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    aay- yes qtparted is part of the install script if you do sudo knoppix-installer
    cool.

Getting back to the thread topic, what are the differences between a KNX-HDinstall, and the newer knoppix-installer??

Quote Originally Posted by jbsloop
    Getting back to the thread topic, what are the differences between a KNX-HDinstall, and the newer knoppix-installer??
    A quaint idea staying on topic. New features:

1. Your own user on install.
    2. The ability using the .knofig file to have your own /home and other partitions during install.
    3. Also using the .knofig file choosing the services started at boot on the new system.
    4. QTParted used during the install if needed.
    5. The ability to save the configuration of your install for later use.

Not sure about the rest it's been a couple of weeks since I last used it and have not had the time to play more with it perhaps someone else has more to add.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Quote Originally Posted by raid517
    So no ability to save your settings? And you still loose all of the cool harware detection as before? Sigh, well I guess I will only ever be able to use Knoppix as a demo cd - and not for anything very useful.
    What ever do you mean? You can save your settings when you boot the cd- you've always been able to do that. If you're referring to a hdd install then your settings are saved there too (of course). What do you need hardware detection for if you've installed it? If you change hardware it's easy enough to set up. As far as "not anything useful" I think you must be missing something here my friend- Knoppix is the easiest distro to install there is. I takes all of 20 minutes! It's extremely useful. Perhaps you could elaborate on your comments?

Look for an .iso with EN in the name.

aay- yes qtparted is part of the install script if you do sudo knoppix-installer
    Well the last time I did a harddisk install I lost all of my settings, all of my preferences and almost all of the most important hadware detection I had on the CD. It reverted to what looked like a very raw debian type OS.

And since we are in the harddisk install section, yes I am referring to harddisk install. Installing is as you say 'easy', its just that if I spend time configuring my Knoppix Home directory and getting everything else looking and feeling the way I like it, when I do the install it would be nice to have this entire configuration remembered.

You appear to doubt that Knoppix looses anything from the CD when you do a harddisk install... Well, all I can say is that is not my experience at all. Is there an option in the install process for example to 'save current settings'? Because if so I'm missing it. Also a lot of the drivers that are automatically loaded from the Knoppix CD are not loaded during boot after a HDD install.

Call me crazy if you want, but that has been my experience.

Now if this has changed since 3.1 then that is another story. (Since that is the last time I tried a HDD install). No one mentioned that the ability to save all one's setting and all the excellent automatic hardware detection of the CD had been included in the latest versions. I would be very pleased if someone could confirm it has.

Q

Quote Originally Posted by raid517

Well the last time I did a harddisk install I lost all of my settings, all of my preferences and almost all of the most important hadware detection I had on the CD. It reverted to what looked like a very raw debian type OS.

And since we are in the harddisk install section, yes I am referring to harddisk install. Installing is as you say 'easy', its just that if I spend time configuring my Knoppix Home directory and getting everything else looking and feeling the way I like it, when I do the install it would be nice to have this entire configuration remembered.

You appear to doubt that Knoppix looses anything from the CD when you do a harddisk install... Well, all I can say is that is not my experience at all. Is there an option in the install process for example to 'save current settings'? Because if so I'm missing it. Also a lot of the drivers that are automatically loaded from the Knoppix CD are not loaded during boot after a HDD install.

Call me crazy if you want, but that has been my experience.

Now if this has changed since 3.1 then that is another story. (Since that is the last time I tried a HDD install). No one mentioned that the ability to save all one's setting and all the excellent automatic hardware detection of the CD had been included in the latest versions. I would be very pleased if someone could confirm it has.

Q
    If the last time you did a hard disk install was 3.1then you indeed had missed a lot. It would be a very long post to outline all changes since 3.1.

I would not discuss about this VERY RAW DEBIAN you are talking about. I installed the latest version and it reaqched almost 2 gigs -now if that is RAW then how big is the real Debian!

Anyway go ahead and try the latest knoppix and then come back here for comments. It is a bit too late to discuss 3.1 version here

Member registered user
    Well I don't think that's entirely fair. If you will recall my original question was about this version of Knoppix. Moreover I enquirde if it was now possible in this version of Knoppix to save all your preferences and settings so that they remain identical to the way you configured them on the CD when you perform a harddrive install.

So far no one has answered that question - well not directly anyway, and even indirectly it has only been partly answered. But if you 'refuse to discus it' (even though I find that attitude deeply confusing), there's not much I can do about it. (BTW I always read the chagelogs).

It isn't possible for me to 'just to try it' and then find out, since I am on a modem and downloading such a big ISO represents a considerable comitment in terms of tying up my computer's limited bandwidth. I wanted to know if it worked first before making such a commitment.

Q[/b]

Have you considered the possibliity that others don't know the answer to your question and that this is the reason they aren't answering you rather than a desire to be rude to you or "refusing to discuss it"? Perhaps this issue isn't such a big concern to others as it is to you. Frankly, I don't have much of an interest in this feature. If I knew the answer, I would certainly tell you though.

Member registered user
    Yes I have, but the guy above seemed particularly keen to draw a line under the question. I thought it was a reasonable thing to ask, and this being the Knoppix HDD install section of a Knoppix based forum, I thought it would be a good idea to ask about the HDD install process here..

Maybe it wasn't. Nonetheless I don't think anyone is trying to be rude here (although I did get the impression some individuals thought my question was dumb) Perhaps people simply didn't understand the question initially? That's fine. But confusing my question with a question about an old out of date Knoppix version possibly isn't all that helpful.... That's all I'm saying.

Indeed the topic of this thread asks 'What is Knoppix-install from Fabian Franz?' and then I go on to try to discuss it. So I think (I would hope) its faiirly clear to most folks which version of the installer and which version of Knoppix I'm refering to, given that Knoppix-install from Fabian Franz is only available on the latest CD.

If all of these assumptions were erroneously made on my part, then I sincerely appologise. Perhaps I should try harder to make it more obvious what I'm referring to in future.

As I say though, until I can glean some more info on the actual install process and the resulting installed OS, just downloading the ISO is not entirely practical.

In any case thank you for your input.

Q

Hello,
    I am very sorry if my reply came to as "rude". FYI English is not my native language and this is the way English composition was taught to us.

Anyway for your question about saving your settings,this is what I suggestthis is how I do it)

Under 'docs' there is a section where you can transfer your /home directory to another partition. This way you are able to sort of save your settings(assuming you have your settings under home).

When you do another reinstall at least your present home directory is saved.

Thanks and Again,sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsloop
    A quaint idea staying on topic. New features:

1. Your own user on install.
    2. The ability using the .knofig file to have your own /home and other partitions during install.
    3. Also using the .knofig file choosing the services started at boot on the new system.
    4. QTParted used during the install if needed.
    5. The ability to save the configuration of your install for later use.

Not sure about the rest it's been a couple of weeks since I last used it and have not had the time to play more with it perhaps someone else has more to add.
    From a nervous newbie: if I invoke the knoppix-installer can I elect to have Knoppix installed on a partition which I had previously created or will the script insist on creating its own partition(s)? i.e., do I get a choice? I would to preserve my present partition allocation.
    I had a problem in this regard with another distribution.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast