Thread: recovering files

recovering files

Here's my setup:
    hda=MS primary + ext partition incl 12GB Linux logical drive
    hdb= ext partition 6GB, 6GB linux logical drive (this is a removeable drive in a caddy)

Here's what I did:
    I installed Lindows 3.0 on a logical drive on my main HD then upgraded to Lindows 4.0 which deleted all my files on that partition. Messed around blindly until I wasn't sure where I was. Installed Lindows 4.0 on the second HD intending to keep it tidy while I continued to mess with the first one.

Here's what happened:
    Could no longer boot the original Lindows but could still get MS Windows and latest Lindows.

Shut down > remove 2nd drive > reboot > lilo offers Windows or Lindows but Lindows stalls, won't finish booting.

Shut down > Plug in second drive again > reboot > lilo offers only Windows or the Lindows that won't start.

Discover Knoppix > download & burn > boot > WONDERFUL!

(Lindows appears to be crippled in several ways compared to Knoppix. I guess that's so they can try to sell you free software.)

OK, so here I am in Knoppix, I know I can load it on the HD but I want to try to retrieve some of my e-mail before I wipe those partitions. I am still a green-as-grass n00b in Linux. Can anyone tell me how to either get the other partitions to boot or, at least, how to find my files and salvage them before I scrap Lindows?

FOF

Senior Member registered user
    The procedure would be relativley simple boot from the CD click on the icon for the partition you want to copy the data from it will open read-only in Konqueror then right click on the icon for the partition of the drive you want to copy to and go to the permission tab and uncheck the read-only box you will then have read-write access when you click on the icon then drag and drop between the two windows.

note: the drive you are copying to cannot be ntfs formatted.

If you are not going to copy HD to HD then a few more details would be required as to where the data will end up.

For starting the lindows what is the error it gives or what are the boot messages you see before it stalls.

Hello Stephen:

As for error messages on bootup, I saw none. Lindows 4.0 shows only a "progress bar" which in this case shows only a little or sometimes no progress. (little or no help either)

On browsing the hard drive with Konqueror as you recommended I could not identify saved e-mail, I don't know where it is put by Mozilla. I believe that's what Lindows uses as a default program. It's time I learned to do my own filing

I will try to make a folder (directory?) on a Windows partition and then go to Windows adn see if I can open and read it. If that works I may set up a new partition and just move a lot of stuff into it to see what I can find in a way that is more familiar to me.

FOF

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by fussyoldfart
    Hello Stephen:

As for error messages on bootup, I saw none. Lindows 4.0 shows only a "progress bar" which in this case shows only a little or sometimes no progress. (little or no help either)

On browsing the hard drive with Konqueror as you recommended I could not identify saved e-mail, I don't know where it is put by Mozilla. I believe that's what Lindows uses as a default program. It's time I learned to do my own filing

I will try to make a folder (directory?) on a Windows partition and then go to Windows adn see if I can open and read it. If that works I may set up a new partition and just move a lot of stuff into it to see what I can find in a way that is more familiar to me.

FOF
    A quick google search reveals this page which says that Mozilla hides it's mail in a .directory so when you are in Konqueror go to the View menu and choose show hidden files and you will be able to see the directory. Does lindows even give you a boot: prompt? If so then try linux single or linux -b the first boots you to single user mode the latter straight to the console with almost no hardware detection so if it is a hardware problem you may be able to get to the console.

BTW gotta love them fancy boot screens that give you no information at least Mandrake shows you the messages with the screen.