Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: GNOME in (with KDE), others out

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10

    GNOME in (with KDE), others out

    I can talk but my own needs, and I don't know if everyone else feels the same, but I would like to suggest this:

    Since knoppix is a very - very user friendly distro ideal for getting to know Linux or demo, I would add in Gnome in addition to KDE and leave the other small window managers. (if enough place on the disk)

    Why?? KDE and GNOME are the two most used environments. As a demo disc or introduction to Linux, you can hardly leave Gnome out, while the smaller GUI's are less important for new users, or for trying Linux.

    Is this possible ? Would others also like Gnome back in ?

    Greetings,
    Erik (Belgium)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95
    I would like to see GNOME installed, but I doubt it is possible due to space limitations. However, I would be glad if someone could point me to where I can get information on how to install Gnome with my hd install.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Viro
    I would like to see GNOME installed, but I doubt it is possible due to space limitations. However, I would be glad if someone could point me to where I can get information on how to install Gnome with my hd install.
    You would just use apt-get to install but I believe it still conflicts with KDE so you would lose that if this is still the case. You should go to Debian Packages and search to see what you will need.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    You would just use apt-get to install but I believe it still conflicts with KDE so you would lose that if this is still the case. You should go to Debian Packages and search to see what you will need.
    I was able to install Gnome w/o any real hitches. I can't remember exactly how it went, but I believe it was just: apt-get install gnome or perhaps apt-get -t unstable.

    I do know this. Gnome wouldn't start on my box by doing a simple "gnome-session". But if I ran xinit, then I could start gnome with gnome-session.

    Of cousrse this may be different for people who use window managers. I always boot w/o starting X.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    I was able to install Gnome w/o any real hitches. I can't remember exactly how it went, but I believe it was just: apt-get install gnome or perhaps apt-get -t unstable.

    I do know this. Gnome wouldn't start on my box by doing a simple "gnome-session". But if I ran xinit, then I could start gnome with gnome-session.

    Of cousrse this may be different for people who use window managers. I always boot w/o starting X.
    Good to know I just remember a while back you could not install both and thought I'd give him a heads up in case it was still the same idea now, I don't use it so I have not tried to install it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    I was able to install Gnome w/o any real hitches. I can't remember exactly how it went, but I believe it was just: apt-get install gnome or perhaps apt-get -t unstable.

    I do know this. Gnome wouldn't start on my box by doing a simple "gnome-session". But if I ran xinit, then I could start gnome with gnome-session.

    Of cousrse this may be different for people who use window managers. I always boot w/o starting X.
    Good to know I just remember a while back you could not install both and thought I'd give him a heads up in case it was still the same idea now, I don't use it so I have not tried to install it.
    I don't really use it either. I prefer KDE, but it was just a curiosity for me to see if I could get it working.

    Hopefully the new KDE 3.1.3 which was released today will soon be incorporated into Knoppix.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    I don't really use it either. I prefer KDE, but it was just a curiosity for me to see if I could get it working.

    Hopefully the new KDE 3.1.3 which was released today will soon be incorporated into Knoppix.

    Is it in unstable yet I've only got 3.1.2-1.1 listed, I was using the 3.2 CVS but was having some strange problems and it fried the system on the last upgrade about a week and a half ago so I downgraded.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    No I'm sure it's not in unstable yet since the KDE guys just released it today, but hopefully soon.

    Here's the announcement

    http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.1.3.php

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    And it is the sources.list line is deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.1.3/Debian stable main looks like it for stable though going to have to check that out tomorrow to late to be doing complicated things tonight.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    I can't upgrade my hdinstall to kde 3.1.3, as soon as I try to upgrade using synaptic 1 file, it tics whole kde for uninstall... apt-get doesnt work either... ???

    na, I'll wait for the new knoppix, hd-install it, and I'll have it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Using Gnome instead of KDE
    By TheRepublican in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 04:59 AM
  2. gnome 2.6
    By ChronusDark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 05:06 AM
  3. Not Gnome, But Gnome Ready?
    By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM
  4. GNOME
    By papasi in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 09:50 PM
  5. Gnome 2.2
    By Laurie in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 01:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HyperX FURY DDR4 8GB 16GB 4GB 32GB 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM 288 picture

HyperX FURY DDR4 8GB 16GB 4GB 32GB 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM 288

$33.85



HyperX FURY DDR4 4GB 8GB 16GB 3200 2400 2666 MHz Desktop RAM Memory DIMM 288pin picture

HyperX FURY DDR4 4GB 8GB 16GB 3200 2400 2666 MHz Desktop RAM Memory DIMM 288pin

$27.95



A-Tech 16GB 2 x 8GB PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM DDR3 1600 Memory RAM PC3L 16G DDR3L picture

A-Tech 16GB 2 x 8GB PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM DDR3 1600 Memory RAM PC3L 16G DDR3L

$33.99



CORSAIR - VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2PK x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 C16 DIMM Desktop Memory... picture

CORSAIR - VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2PK x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 C16 DIMM Desktop Memory...

$47.99



Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R DDR3-1600 1.35V ECC REG RDIMM Server Memory RAM 1x picture

Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R DDR3-1600 1.35V ECC REG RDIMM Server Memory RAM 1x

$10.99



16GB 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333 REG Memory RAM for DELL PRECISION T5500 T5600 T7500 T7600 picture

16GB 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333 REG Memory RAM for DELL PRECISION T5500 T5600 T7500 T7600

$17.99



8GB SODIMM 2Rx8 PC3L 12800S DDR3 DDR3L Laptop Memory Ram HP Dell lenovo picture

8GB SODIMM 2Rx8 PC3L 12800S DDR3 DDR3L Laptop Memory Ram HP Dell lenovo

$13.99



HyperX FURY DDR3 4GB 8GB 16GB 32G 1333 1600 1866 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM 240pins picture

HyperX FURY DDR3 4GB 8GB 16GB 32G 1333 1600 1866 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM 240pins

$8.30



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$17.99



128GB Kit 4x 32GB PC4-17000 LRDIMM DELL POWEREDGE R730xd R730 R630 Memory RAM picture

128GB Kit 4x 32GB PC4-17000 LRDIMM DELL POWEREDGE R730xd R730 R630 Memory RAM

$199.96