Thread: Netcardconfig not keeping settings

Junior Member registered user
    I also have a problem like gill but I have succes to reconfigure the network card using netcardconfig from root access from console.
    But I found a new problem here.... after I restart the machine.... the configuration back to DHCP again and the IP is given by DHCP server.
    For your information... i want a static IP for my machine... and I reconfigure it by netcardconfig.

Why the confguration that change by netcardconfig didn't reload at next restart ?
    What I should do ?

regards,
    koselan.

Senior Member registered user
    As you can see I have split your post to a new topic this way you have a better chance of getting a reply to your problem that being said on to it.

Are you running from the HD or CD? If from the HD do you have dhcp client program running on your machine that would get an address from a DHCP server? If you are running from the CD then DHCP is the default method of getting an IP address and you will have to run the netcardconfig to set your static IP unless you use the floppy config or persistant home options off the Knoppix menu.

i have my Knoppix3.2 installed on my HD and I do not want Knoppix run a DHCP when startup. What I should do ?

For your information, I always run netcardconfig to set my static IP after my machine boot-up.

Please help me.
    Thanks

Susanto W

Quote Originally Posted by koselan
    i have my Knoppix3.2 installed on my HD and I do not want Knoppix run a DHCP when startup. What I should do ?

For your information, I always run netcardconfig to set my static IP after my machine boot-up.

Please help me.
    Thanks

Susanto W
    You need to edit /etc/network/interfaces.

You should see a line like this: iface eth0 inet dhcp

Remove dhcp and you should be good to go.

Your configuration should be getting saved by running netcardconfig that being said you can check in the file /etc/network/interfaces this is where your settings for the card are contained example file below:
    Code:
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
    # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 192.168.0.1
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            network 192.168.0.0
            broadcast 192.168.0.255
            gateway 192.168.0.254
    It should have a similar format to this you would of course adjust the settings to yours.

Your nameservers settings would be in the file /etc/resolv.conf example file:
    Code:
    search wolf
    nameserver 192.168.1.10
    nameserver 192.168.1.34
    You only need the one nameserver line the search of your domain and the extra nameserver are not necessary.

The hostname for your computer is set in the file /etc/hostname and that is just one line with the hostname for your computer example:
    Code:
    HappyTux
    You should have similar settings in all these files and when you reboot the settings should be used if they are not used could you post the contents of each of these files before you change them so you can connect. All editing of these files done as root of course.

Dear Stephen,

I've tried all day with your example but after a machine-restart my machine still use IP from DHCP. And now, when I need to setup my static IP on my machine, I just type :
    $ /etc/init.d/networking restart

After doing this so far, I have coclusion that there are another setting that run DHCP automatic after a restart and do not use my setting on /etc/resolve.conf; /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hostname.

Any one can help me ?
    Thanks.

Susanto W

Finally I found the problem.

And I want to share with you....
    I found a file /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

Configuration for knoppix start-up is in this file so I also found that there was an instruction :

pump -i $DEVICE >/dev/null 2>&1 &

I know that instruction is find the DHCP server ... is it right ?

So I disable that instruction and replace with
    /etc/init.d/networking restart

then.... My wish is come true.....

Finally, I want to thanks for every one that already help me.
    Thanks

Susanto W

You rule dude, ive been messing with this for the last two days and i thought i was going nuts!!! but your changed worked for me also!!!!

thanks alot