Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet problem(knoppix-->router (smc)--> broadband r

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by el_hefe
    so you´re saying that microsoft editted my NIC someway it doesn't work with linux?,
    Yup, I'm saying, from direct experience having a NIC that did work fine under Knoppix and now does not with the very same CDR (and a lot of time spent poking into the problem and the eeprom on the NIC) that something is changing the eeprom settings on the NIC, and I believe it was the Windows "security update" that I ran right before I found that this had happened.

Not sure if the sound card is significant or not. In my experience Knoppix can get many but not all PCI based sound cards, does not auto-detect ISA sound cards. You may be able to configure the sound card after booting. I'll leave others to coment more on this, as it's not something I have done much work on. However, I do have several systems where the network functions fine and the sound does not autoconfigure, and in the notebook where I've seen my used-to-work-but-no-longer-does NIC, the sound is good.

Senior Member registered user
    For the older sound cards try from a console window sndconfig you may have to put a sudo in front for it to work, for the nic haven't got a clue seems like you have tried everything possible.

yes, i tried sndconfig. it seems knoppix 'may' not work on my computer :S

.. i think that microsoft has nothing to do with it (the NIC and sb). the last thing I do is update my bios and see if I can change some things.

i have the exact same problem! i haven't gotten around to trying any of the suggested solutions posted tho.

I have a Netgear FA311 ethernet adapter and DSL is provided by an Alcatel Speed Touch Pro 4 port ethernet.

If i have further problems after trying some of the things posted here, i'll post again

Junior Member registered user

anything new on this topic?

I also tried to get a Cnet pro200 running under knoppix.

My fli4l does support it so I assume that it is supported by linux in general
    also I tried to use the linux driver on the floppy from the nic but - I am linux newbie - did not have a clue how to get it compiled under knoppix running.......

Would be great to get some feedback

cu
    McGyver

Re: anything new on this topic?

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver
    I also tried to get a Cnet pro200 running under knoppix.

My fli4l does support it so I assume that it is supported by linux in general
    also I tried to use the linux driver on the floppy from the nic but - I am linux newbie - did not have a clue how to get it compiled under knoppix running.......

Would be great to get some feedback

cu
    McGyver
    Well, there was this recent post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...302&highlight=
    floibler hasn't posted back to the forum yet (I sure hope he does), but he sent me a private message stating that he changed out the NIC in the computer for a new one that has never been run under Windows and now the same computer works fine.

As for your NIC, I don't think it's a problem with Knoppix not supporting the NIC - I have a Cnet Pro200 in this computer I'm on right now and it works under Knoppix just fine. However, I've never run Microsoft "security update" software on this computer. Of course, manufacturers are known to sometimes change chip sets and not change model numbers, but I think the problem in the above link (links to more details in that thread) is the more likely cause. Read that thread for my thoughts on a fix.

DHCP = dynamic host configuration protocol

http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/dhcp/

Quote Originally Posted by pureone
    DHCP = dynamic host configuration protocol

http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/dhcp/
    Hi pureone. You didn't quote anyone so it's not clear who this was addresses to or what it was trying to respond to.

I can tell you that in my case it is certainly a NIC issue and not a DHCP issue. By sniffing the wire I have been able to determine that the NIC isn't even negoiating it's speed and duplex mode properly (a step that comes before DHCP can work). Nor is it likely to be the problem source for floibler, since just swapping out the now apparently corrupted NICs for a new one with no other changes lets the NIC set up properly and then DHCP works for that system.

i posted that link because of the person that made this topic was unaware of what dhcp was.

dhcp can be rather tricky in linux and windows for me sometimes it wont work at all sometimes.
    at 1 point dhcp would work with any linux live cd no matter what computer i used. i noticed as well if i had booted in to differnt cds on the same computer on the 3rd time the dhcp server would fail on me.

Junior Member registered user

NIC issue

Hi Folks,

computing is not always 0 and 1!

I did the following (I know that on troubleshooting you should always do one after the other but I did it anyway):
    I plugged in an additional NIC and booted from the Suse 9.2 live CD.
    Suse recognized both NICS and I could configure them.
    After that I took out the Intel NIC and booted again from Knoppix (real it is "siegfried" that should be Knoppix 3.3) and now I was able to configure the Cnet under Knoppix too....
    Everything is working fine now.

Ah, one more: sorry for the hijacking - never again!

Thanks
    cu
    McGyver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12