Hello. As a favor I told my friend that I would help him rid himself of the festing horrible mess which is what we call windows. I downloaded knoppix (and some other distros) and am having trouble burning the image onto a cd.

Toast will not load the image and burn it as a bootable cd. When using the mount disc image option, I go utilities> mount disc image> and I then select the image. It does nothing. It literally sits there. (and yes I am using the most current version of toast. I have also tried an older version). What I have been doing is loading the image using disk copy and then either dragging the image into toast or selecting the contents of the mounted image and dragging them into the toast window. There is no blatant option of burning an iso 9960 so i select mac os and pc disc (hybrid) and burn away. The burns do not boot. Every time I get a "Operating system not found error."

I realized that it could be toast's fault and decided to try "blaze" which is a very straightforward cd burning app. It has a check box for iso 9960. I figured this was a good thing. I tried also loading the iso into it and asking it to burn an image. No good. So I've used the disc copy method I described earlier to attempt at burning a cd. No good. "Operating system not found." I burned a joilet cd just for fun and it didnt work.

I have tried burning at maximum and 4x speeds with different brands of cds. A few things I should mention are:

I did manage to burn a bootable knoppix cd using nero under windows when 2000 was loaded on it. I was able to load the iso into nero and burn away. This is the only 'good' cd I have. When I attempt to hd install there are a bunch of read errors off the cd. I have to restart.

I did upgrade the bios (the pc knoppix cd and the old red hat cd both ran before the bios update, and after). It seems in perfect working order.

I do have an ancient red hat cd that will boot. What most confuses me is the difference in a burn from mac to windows. This seems to be my issue. Of course, I'm not half as smart as half of you out there. But, can anyone try to shed some light on this for me? It's baffling.

Now when I boot up I'm getting the knoppix desktop but it shuts down when I hit ctrl+alt+F1 or just for fun after the os loads. This sucks.