Quote Originally Posted by lch
Hello,
This patch program a good idea.
But I wonder if you have considered using the excellent jigdo program available from Debian site 'http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/' to update the CD images.
I use it from months to keep my official Debian CDs up-to-date.
Regards
--Laurent
The Knoppix CD is very different from a CD of debian packages. The Knoppix CD is a live file system which does not contain deb files. Instead it is a compressed filesystem image containing a fully installed Debian system. If I attempted to create a patching program based on deb files, the output CD would not reflect configuration changes and programs not installed into Knoppix through the deb package manager. The inconsistencies would be a significant disadvantage. Even if I could make this approach work, the size of deb files needed to patch one version to the next will often exceed the size of the patch my progam creates as a small change in a package results in a new deb which would be comparatively large. For example, a common KDE update would be 100-150Mb alone. A KDE update through my patch system may only take 20Mb, assuming it has been compiled with the same compiler and same compiler flags.

Regards

Nick.