Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: login as root - bye sudo

I have tried all the help here but i still cant delete a file or folder, the reason I really need the help is my windows box got hacked and i have a folder which i cannot delete. I have been told that if i boot with knoppix correctly i can delete a folder from an ntfs partition. the actual folder i have is 4gb in size and i desperately want to be rid of it can any one help me here,

knopix says im logged on as root and i have remounted the hda for read write but still the folder wont delete.

many thans for any hlep

carolann

Senior Member registered user
    hmm ntfs knoppix doesnt suport that 100% .
    you might harm your filesystem if you delete that file from knoppix. but if you are desperate...
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /mnt/hdXY
    where X is drive letter and Y is number.
    then use konqueror and go to the folder, right klick soewhere and choose open konsole on the menu that pops up. in thet write
    Code:
    sudo su rm -rf ./*
    that SHOULDremove things. if not...
    ask and i wil try again.

Thanxs for this but it still wont let me access the drive to delete a folder, when i right click on the drive and try to change the read write mode it says knoppix wont allow it , then I tried to remount it and it looked as if it was done but it still would not allow me to delete files or folders,

im logging in like

knoppix single then
    startx

which says im root but im not sure I really am, im very new to knoppix how do i change from hda1 to 2 in the root shell.

I am desperate to get rid of that 4gb folder on my server

many thanks

ca

You would need the captive-ntfs driver to do this reliably, or do it thru a network, assuming you share just the folder in question that you're trying to delete. You could have deleted the folder directly in windows by opening a command prompt and then type deltree c:\badfolder /y and that folder is history.

by the way are you root?
    if you are root ou should be able to do ANYTHING even kill a hdd's prom

Im logging on as root but it wont let me change the read write status on the drive where in shell or right click hda2. I cant delete the folder using windows because it does not allow because of the reserved file names I have tried using posix comands and everything else i could think of or try but have been told by windows administrators that doing it through unix base os is the only way to delete this folder without doing a reinstall of server.

when i boot with the knoppix disk and login as root it says i have read write access but try to delete even a file and its says access denied.

hmm any other suggestions please

Many thanks ca

You could try http://www.knoppix-std.org/ which has captive ntfs and would let you delete stuff on ntfs partitions.
    BTW, couldn't you delete it with just booting from a win98 or dos bootfloppy?

You cant access ntfs fil system using dos or win98 boot disks, I have downloaded knoppix standard but is different from the other knoppix no nice desktop for a newbie like me to navigate. where can i find out how to use knoppix standard to gain my result of deleting a folder on my server i kept trying to mount the volume from the aterm terminal and it looked as if it worked but when i tried to view its access deniec.

I think i may be stuck with that 4gb folder on my systme part of my win2k server if

many thanks for all your help

hmmm, if you could format the partition it would go away? hmmm, have you tried shrinking it MAX making a new fat32 partition in the free space and copying things over to that, then remove the cppied files shrink the ntfspartition, maximize the fat32one.- ... --- .- ... ---
    if you did that is MIGHT work to finaly removing partition and recreating it and reverse the process.
    i think it should work, okok, it would take a LOT of time, and be a possible risk, yes... but it should work.
    hmmmm, come to think of it have you tried the captive ntfs? search foryum for it. might work.

Why not throw in another empty hd, format it fat32, copy over the lot, delete folder, reformat the original hd fat32, copy everything back and use windows to make it ntfs again. Or just switch over the new fat32 hd to master after deleting the folder, boot windows (might need repair from windows cd) and make it ntfs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast