Thread: Autoconfigure

Autoconfigure

I have installed Knoppix onto my HD. One of the things I liked running from the CD is the autoconfiguration of my hardware. However .. autoconfigure does not seem to run when Knoppix is installed to the HD.
    Does anyone know how to enable autoconfiguration of the hardware when booting Knoppix from the HD ?

Member registered user
    When you boot from the CD, the CD doesn't know anything about your computer. Autoconfigure snoops around, learns about your hardware, and writes a bunch of configuration files. When you installed to the hard disk, these files got installed, too. You don't need Autoconfigure anymore!

But maybe you knew that and you're really asking whether you could use Autoconfigure from the installed system to, for example, automatically reconfigure after a hardware change. I think the answer is no. Autoconfigure is brilliant at setting up a "fresh" instance of Knoppix from the CD, but it would be a pretty blunt instrument to use, say, to detect a newly installed CD drive and get it represented in fstab. You'd gain the CD drive, but you'd also get "fresh copies" of a bunch of other configuration files, overwriting all the important changes you'd made in the originals.

That said, you can certainly use Autoconfigure from the CD to generate fresh config files and then use them as models for editing the installed config files.

Unamiccia

Senior Member registered user

Re: Autoconfigure

' apt-get update '
    ' apt-get install discover '

Quote Originally Posted by robrink
    I have installed Knoppix onto my HD. One of the things I liked running from the CD is the autoconfiguration of my hardware. However .. autoconfigure does not seem to run when Knoppix is installed to the HD.
    Does anyone know how to enable autoconfiguration of the hardware when booting Knoppix from the HD ?

Similar Threads

1. LISa daemon autoconfigure script
    By mkklavz in forum Networking
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-01-2006, 03:04 PM
  2. How to let Knoppix 3.7-HDD autoconfigure changed devices?
    By honigbaer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 01:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 08:30 AM
  4. autoconfigure is unfriendly
    By deerwood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 05:25 AM