View Poll Results: Did this procedure work for you?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 73.81%
  • No

11 26.19%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP

Member registered user

[HOWTO]: Dual-boot Knoppix with Windows NT/2000/XP

Ok, I just confirmed that this procedure works. Tried it on TWO PC's. One XP, the other 2000.

This procedure will install a 'true' dual-boot of Knoppix. Not poor-man's install, REAL dual-boot. Plus, with the help of some free tools, you can do it without damage to your data.... Here it goes...

(Expected System Configuration, modify if needed): 2 physical Hard disks. C:\ drive is NTFS with Win NT/2k/XP installed. D:\ drive is empty.

(1) MOST IMPORTANT: Make backups of all your important data. Imagine that all your data is gone. Think about what you need to backup. Although this procedure shouldn't cause any data loss, when you're doing something of this magnitude (messing with partitions and installing new OS), you should backup. Not to mention that you should REGULARLY backup!!

(2) Create an 'ERD' (Emergency Repair Disk). This can restore your MBR in case you really goof! The process depends on your OS:
    (2a) Windows NT 4: Run 'RDISK.exe'.
    (2b) Win 2000 and XP: Start the Windows Backup tool, then choose 'Emergency Repair Disk'. XP/2k users have the Recovery Console and FIXMBR, plus XP users have a 'repair install' mode, so an ERD isn't too necessary for them.

(3) Boot the Knoppix CD.

(4) Start a Terminal session.

(5) Type in sudo knx-hdinstall (yes, use this older install script. From my experience, it's more stable/reliable.)

(6) Next, partition your /dev/hdb. I'm no Linux partition expert, so I just make a 300MB swap partition and use the remaining space for a Linux partition.

(7) The steps from here to after files copy should be self-explanatory.

( Once you get to the prompt 'Install LILO into MBR?', make sure you answer NO. Failure to do so could mean that your Windows boot partition will be removed, and you'll have to use your ERB/ Recovery Console.

(9) When prompted to make a boot floppy, make sure you make a boot floppy!. It's REQUIRED in a later step.

(10) Once Knoppix setup is done, remove the floppy and reboot. Make sure Windows still works. After doing so, pat yourself on the back... the hardest part is over!!

(11) Next, start up your computer from the boot floppy. It should load the copy of Knoppix that you just installed. If this works, then pat yourself on the back again! You're almost done!

(12) Once Knoppix is running, get to a console/terminal again. Make sure your boot floppy is still inserted!

(13) Issue the command dd if=/dev/hdx# of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1. This will copy the Linux bootsector to a file. Replace hdx# with your installation partition (like hdb2)

(14) Now, insert a blank floppy into your floppy drive. Issue the command mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0. This will format the floppy to a Windows/FAT12 filesystem.

(15) Issue mount /dev/fd0

(16) Now, copy that bootsector image! cp /bootsect.knx /floppy

(17) Take the floppy out. Reboot into Windows.

(1 Copy your bootsect.knx into C:\.

(19) Start a MS-DOS prompt. Type in the following: (each newline = new command)

c:
    cd \
    attrib -h -r -s boot.ini
    copy boot.ini boot.old
    notepad boot.ini

(20) Notepad will start, with Boot.ini loaded. Edit the first line, 'Timeout=30'. Change it to 'Timeout=5'. This changes your boot selection timeout to 5 seconds, instead of 30.

(21) At the very end of the file, add C:\bootsect.knx = "Knoppix"

(22) Save the file. Get back to that command prompt. Issue attrib +h +r +s boot.ini.

(23) Reboot. Now, you should have two options: your previous Windows OS and Knoppix. Done!

Senior Member registered user
    An alternative method :

1. go to here http://www.skyjammer.com/files/knoppix

2. get the w32grub.zip and unzip it to c:\, it is already a directory tree

3. run c:\boot\grub\w32grub

4. add 'c:\boot\stage1="GRUB"' to c:\boot.ini

Now there is a GRUB boot loader in your W2K/XP system.

Install your KNOPPIX as usual but don't let it touch your boot loader.

in c:\boot\grub\menu.lst add the following(just an example)

title KNOPPIX
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz
    initrd /boot/initrd

and you can boot load your KNOPPIX. For detail about GRUB, read the manual on their main site.

If you want poorman's install(FAT only), follow the instruction in the doc on this site on how to extract the big file as well as the boot.img from the ISO and follow the followin procedure

1. get memdisk from syslinux site and put in c:\boot
    2. put the boot.img(from the ISO) to c:\boot
    2. add the following to c:\boot\grub\menu.lst

title Poor man's KNOPPIX
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/memdisk
    initrd /boot/boot.img

Now you can boot a poorman's KNOPPIX, this is the same as making the floppy image from the ISO, it just don' need a physical floppy for the purpose. Kudo to the authors of the programs mentioned.

The only caveat is that one needs an ISO extraction tool to get the big file in the download image. I am not sure if knoppix-customize(it can get the boot.img without problem) can do this, otherwise a commerical software(there is some shareware or limited ware like magiciso) is needed. So this is still a 'poorman's installation', not a broken man's installation(doing all these from completely free as lunch tools).

Junior Member registered user
    I am very happy with the Graphical Boot Manager - GAG http://gag.sourceforge.net. Have a look at these screenshoots:
    http://gag.sourceforge.net/pics.html .

It may be good looking but I would choose NOT to use it. Chances are, if you install it to a harddisk, it will intefere with NT boot loader. It use the 'no man's land' on track 0 for its storage shich unfortunately NT boot loader also use.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    It may be good looking but I would choose NOT to use it. Chances are, if you install it to a harddisk, it will intefere with NT boot loader. It use the 'no man's land' on track 0 for its storage shich unfortunately NT boot loader also use.
    I've used it for years and it doesn't affect the NT bootloader.
    Other advantages are ... you can run it off a floppy or install it to the MBR.
    Password protect configuration and operating systems selection etc.

Plus it takes a few seconds to restore if some Mi$behaving OS wipes it off

cheers
    rob

thanks for the information, it is good to hear that it doesn't. I have tried another one call Smart Boot Manager which does similar things as GAG(at least from the description) but it gives me very bad experience.

Anyway, the essence of linux and the open source is about choice. So long we have something to meet our needs, we are all happy. For me, GRUB is the one that meet my need

Member registered user
    nice to see all the suggestions....

My original goal was a simple dual-booting process while keeping the NT bootloader intact. As far as I'm concerned, the NT bootloader is a fine bootloader, and should be left there...

i followed your tutorial and got all the way to booting with the floppy when it says boot failed insert other disk and press a key. or something like that. am i missing something? <___noob

Member registered user
    Oh my, oh my.... Seems like I typed too quickly.... Mistake here.

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1

should be

dd if=/dev/hdx# of=/bootsect.knx bs=512 count=1

where hdx# is your Knoppix boot partition.

Thanks for the idea!

Worked for me with Mandrake also. Unfortunately, the installation program didn't ask me which disk to boot from, and I erroneously assumed that since I was installing to the second drive that it would insert the boot loader on that drive also. Wrong. I caught it later before finishing the install, but not before it screwed up the MBR on C: Anyway, I changed the boot order in BIOS, so all works OK now, and I just have to fix the C: drive boot partition in case I ever remove the second HD.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast