Thread: Screen resolution

Screen resolution

I have a problem configuring my X server on my friend's computer. I was able to boot from the knoppix cd but X server won't come up. It shows me

Signal Error
    HF: 62.5 KHz
    VF: 75.9 Hz

This is the monitor control error that comes up and the screen goes blank. But I know that X server is running normally and its just that monitor frequency is not recognized properly or so. I have booted with many cheat codes like 'nodcc' , 'fb1024x768" etc. Nothing worked out. Finally, I booted with 'screen 800x600' and the X server is up with 800x 600 resolution. I installed knoppix on to the harddrive and it boots with the same resolution. Is there anyway that I can increase the resolution and still give the monitor the signal with correct frequency. Can anyone help me out??

Thank you.
    Sanjay.

Senior Member registered user
    You can adjust his resolution by running kxconfig as root, but just make sure that you backup his /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 first and are prepared to restore it via text mode only if your changes break X.

what if your card isnt listed (I have a GeForce2 TI...)

help, linux is behaving like winblows... i have tried hundreds of times to get 1024x768 working, it didnt work out. been trying from 18:00 till 0:30, dicided to give up, and went to bed. this morning, i booted - and it is now running 1024x768... ??? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHRG!!!

anyway, it works... but I have still a problem - the screen is moved to the right, I can't see part of it. this is due to my monitor, in winblows I have to use an Nvidia tool to move it to the left. but is there a tool in linux (knoppix) which can do that?

tnx in advance...

and grtz

jos (not stoned - yet )

I had updated and upgraded my friend's computer using apt-get and it updated kde and xserver too. While it was installing the updates it gave me an option to close kdm as it was running, and I closed and let it update the kdm too. After the update process is done, I ran lilo and rebooted it. It booted to runlevel 5 as usual but Xserver ddidnt come up. It booted to a tty1 directly. It showed me 5 when I issued runlevel command. I have started X using 'startx' and it brought me up just the debian screen that is there by default on the login menu in knoppix with some four big wierd buttons kind of things,which do nothing. When I right click on the screen a menu comes up like the way solaris or Irix work. So, basically KDM broke or before restarting do i need to run any program ? I mean do I need to run anything after updating kdm??? I had the same prb and I tried every possible way to fix it but couldn't and so finally re-installed knoppix on my computer. Now, I want to solve this stupid problem, pls help me out. I couldn't get any useful info from the log. I only thing looked suspicious was (EE) DRI Intializatin failed ...
    I noticed that it happend every time, whether X came up successfully r not. Does anyone had the same/similar problem?

well, my problem isnt similair, although it is as strange as yours
    I can't upgrade KDE... when I want to upgrade it, apt only wants to remove it... the same with synaptic - as soon as i tell synaptic to update any kde-package, they all get removed... ???

Junior Member registered user
    I find that Knoppix's display settings analysis not as good as starting with knoppix 2 and then just running XFree86 -configure. That puts a XF86config.new into your home dir. Copy that onto /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 but add a line before the "depth" parm of screen 0: DefaultColorDepth 16
    I found the dpi parm of 75 in /etc/init.d/xsession to be too small: I changed it to 110 or 120. Then just /etc/init.d/xsession start and voilá an xsession that looks very nice because it is the best that can be gotten and the characters on mozilla don't look so small.

H.

I tried KXconfig, which worked very good. XFree86 -configure didnt work at all, when I tried the produced file, xfree said there was no screen. but KXconfig solved the problems anyway.