Thread: CD-Burner

Member registered user

CD-Burner

Hello all,

I installed knoppix to my HD via knoppix-installer. I set up the Nvidia drivers, get netoworking going, and upgraded my kernel to 2.4.21. But when I try to use K3b to burn a CD the drop down control for selecting the device is empty. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Member registered user
    Ok, here's the deal. I can play a music CD from cdrom0 but can't seem to mount it in kde to display data CDs. I can mount and view CD's in my CD-RW but cannot burn CDs to it. wtf? Now I had to manually create the CD-RW icon on the desktop (right click, new, CD-ROM), does that have anything to do with my issues?

Thanks again.

Senior Member registered user
    First you'll need to configure k3b. Here is a post about it. Secondly if you've done the k3b setup your /etc/fstab file is probably hosed. If you could post it please. Also post the output of cdrecord -scanbus. Since you have a cdburner in your system Linux is using SCSI emulation to access your drives. Therefor they will be listed on the SCSI bus. Try this:

ls -al /dev/cdrom It should be a symbolic link to one of your drives. If it is a symlink to the wrong drive then it's not going to work. Post some details and we can go from there.

Member registered user
    fstab
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass
    /dev/hda3  /  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1

proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
    /dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/dvd /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0
    ls -al /dev/cdrom
    Code:
    /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
    cdrecord -scanbus
    Code:
    Cdrecord 2.01a16 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
    Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
    scsibus0:
            0,0,0     0) 'MITSUMI ' 'CD-ROM FX4824T!B' 'Q01E' Removable CD-ROM
            0,1,0     1) '        ' '52X24X52 CD-RW  ' '1.05' Removable CD-ROM
            0,2,0     2) *
            0,3,0     3) *
            0,4,0     4) *
            0,5,0     5) *
            0,6,0     6) *
            0,7,0     7) *
    In K3b I attempt to add the /dev/cdrom1 device (as it correctly points to scd1) but it states that no device was found.

Thanks for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by ferreter
    /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 ...

In K3b I attempt to add the /dev/cdrom1 device (as it correctly points to scd1) but it states that no device was found.

Change the /dev/cdrom1 to /dev/scd1 in the /etc/fstab and it should work fine you may want to make sure that the mount point /cdrom1 actually exists I usually use mkdir burner as root in the / directory and then use this for a mount point eg. /dev/scd1 /burner iso9660 ....

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 ...

Change the /dev/cdrom1 to /dev/scd1 in the /etc/fstab and it should work fine you may want to make sure that the mount point /cdrom1 actually exists I usually use mkdir burner as root in the / directory and then use this for a mount point eg. /dev/scd1 /burner iso9660 ....
    I did this, but still k3b has my burner listed under the reader section of the devices rather than the writer section and quite obviously will not burn anything. I changed the fstab entry to not be ro but rather rw as well if that makes a difference.

As for the other odd issue, I was able to setup a new icon in my desktop to allow a right-click mount option where on the other icon it only gives me the option to play the CD. Can I not have both functionalities for the CD-ROM in one icon (both audio and data)?

I did this, but still k3b has my burner listed under the reader section of the devices rather than the writer section and quite obviously will not burn anything. I changed the fstab entry to not be ro but rather rw as well if that makes a difference.
    Does not suprise me K3b seems to have many problems you may want to try installing XCDRoast the few times that I have used it, it worked without problems. If you want to test if your burner is working you can from the command line cdrecord -v -dummy -eject speed=4 dev=0,1,0 file.name which would run a test burn at 4x speed with the file you choose. Also you do not need the rw option in the /etc/fstab.
    As for the other odd issue, I was able to setup a new icon in my desktop to allow a right-click mount option where on the other icon it only gives me the option to play the CD. Can I not have both functionalities for the CD-ROM in one icon (both audio and data)?
    Never knew the audio option existed I usually use the command line to access CD's so I can't be much help there.

Member registered user
    I had the same problem when I upgraded cdrecord etc a while back.

IIRC
    - Under K3B the writer shows up only as a reader.
    - Works if logged in as root
    - Even if you are listed as a user in K3B setup it still doesn't work

It was a while ago so bear with me as I try to remember........................
    I think it had something to do with permissions. Something was changed
    when the newer version was installed!?

Let me know if it runs as root.

Good Luck
    rob

Most Linux apps will try to use /dev/cdroom by default. If this is the case with k3b then you just need to symlink /dev/cdromk to your burner. It's easy:

As root...
    rm -f /dev/cdrom
    ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrom

That should have made a symbolic link from /dev/scd1 (your cd burner) to /dev/cdrom. How do you find out?

ls -al /dev/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug 3 06:53 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd1

If your output looks like the above then you were successful. Also make sure you have selected the proper cdrdao driver in k3b configure. Usually generic-mmc will work.

Desktop icons? Hmmmm heard of em but that's about it. It's just easier to mount them manually, besides do you actually ever see your desktop? I don't but that's just me.