Thread: windows registry

Member registered user

windows registry

i was recently killed by a few worms... is it possible to enter ito the windows registry through knoppix

Senior Member registered user
    In theory yes. But if you have an ntfs filsystem (default for Win 2k and XP) it really isn't a good idea: you could effectively trash the whole filesystem if you try to do anything worthwhile.

If that's the case, best bet is to make sure the firewall is up, then upgrade or install AV software, then get the M$ patches.

Of course, if you have blaster (which seems to want to shut the Windows system down especially if you use IE) you could always use Knoppix and a flash drive to download solutions/patches.

Member registered user
    im usig windows 98, and all the fixes ive found have need for registry fixes.... i cant even boot up in windows, so i was hopping to get to the regisrty through knoppix

how can i get to windows regisrty? i dont really care if i lose my system, its gone now:P so its worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by punk000
    how can i get to windows regisrty? i dont really care if i lose my system, its gone now:P so its worth a try
    Why not just do this the conventional way - boot dos, cd over to your windows folder, and run regedit from there?

Using Knoppix to edit the registry (although challenging) is kind of a Rube Goldberg approach to a problem which has a much more straightforward solution. It's kind of like building a battlebot and using it to remove a hangnail off your toe - sure, it's fun and challenging, but it takes a lot longer and you risk losing your toe!!

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Why not just do this the conventional way - boot dos, cd over to your windows folder, and run regedit from there?

Using Knoppix to edit the registry (although challenging) is kind of a Rube Goldberg approach to a problem which has a much more straightforward solution. It's kind of like building a battlebot and using it to remove a hangnail off your toe - sure, it's fun and challenging, but it takes a lot longer and you risk losing your toe!!

heheh thats great

Re: windows registry

i was recently killed by a few worms... is it possible to enter into the windows registry through knoppix?
    You can do it from MS-DOS. The solution is that all-purpose tool called ScanReg. Every time that you successfully boot Windows, scanreg creates a backup of the Registry. Just think about when you last were OK. Use scanreg /restore to show a list of recent backups and restore from those. By the way, scanreg /fix repairs some errors and inconsistencies in the Registry, and scanreg /opt optimizes it.

I know all this is off-topic, but we are here to help each other, right?

-- Michael Rudas
    Metro Detroit Linux Users' Group: http://www.MDLUG.org
    PengiuCon 2.0, April 2004: http://www.PenguiCon.org

BTW, I assumed you knew this already, but if you don't have or lost your boot disk, you can download one at bootdisk.com

Alternatively, some versions of Windows allow you to boot to a dos prompt by pushing one of the Fn keys - don't recall if W98 has that option or not, or if the worm will let you get that far.