Thread: Frequency Overrange

Frequency Overrange

Every time I try and load knoppix, I get a frequency overrange immediatly after the first splash screen hits and files start uncompressing. I have hit f2 and tried nearly all of the options for changing resolutions and refresh rates, however, this has been to no avail as the problem is not solved and I can see nothing on my monitor. Does anyone have any ideas? I am using a generic monitor that runs 60hz at 1024x768, and my video card is a Kyro 2. Is this more likely to be a monitor problem or a video card problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Senior Member registered user

Re: Frequency Overrange

Quote Originally Posted by Crystlnova
    Every time I try and load knoppix, I get a frequency overrange immediatly after the first splash screen hits and files start uncompressing. I have hit f2 and tried nearly all of the options for changing resolutions and refresh rates, however, this has been to no avail as the problem is not solved and I can see nothing on my monitor. Does anyone have any ideas? I am using a generic monitor that runs 60hz at 1024x768, and my video card is a Kyro 2. Is this more likely to be a monitor problem or a video card problem? Any help would be much appreciated.
    Have you tried noddc to stop auto detection of the monitor? Something like knoppix noddc xvrefresh=60 screen=800x600 it seems the card uses the powervr module so you may want to try xmodule=powervr in addition to these, this is just a stab in the dark as they say because it's not listed in the cheat codes but it might be there.

Links: The card and google search where in the first link I found the module used near the bottom of the file you may want to read a few more of the links.

Still no go

Still isnt working, but thx for the help. Tried what you gave me, and searched again online for more stuff to try, but I still have the same problem. I had this same problem trying to get the latest alpha of Ark Linux to work until I finally had to give up. Im beginning to think this its the monitor rather than the card, although it is odd, because in both Windows and Red Hat, I can hit 1024x768 just fine, however, in mandrake, I cannot. You got me. Im just trying to find a distro to make the transition over to from windows.

Re: Still no go

Still isnt working, but thx for the help. Tried what you gave me, and searched again online for more stuff to try, but I still have the same problem. I had this same problem trying to get the latest alpha of Ark Linux to work until I finally had to give up. Im beginning to think this its the monitor rather than the card, although it is odd, because in both Windows and Red Hat, I can hit 1024x768 just fine, however, in mandrake, I cannot. You got me. Im just trying to find a distro to make the transition over to from windows.
    IF you still have the Redhat XF86Config-4 file you could always boot with knoppix 2 mount the partition it is on and then copy it over the file knoppix creates and then startx and see if the config will work with knoppix. If you know the settings for you monitor you could boot with knoppix expert extra_cheat_codes and use the proper settings for the monitor.

To mount the HD partition mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd?? replace the ?? with drive letter and partition number. To copy the file cp /mnt/hd??/redhat_path_to_file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. note: you may have to use sudo in front of the commands.

Re: Frequency Overrange

Every time I try and load knoppix, I get a frequency overrange immediatly after the first splash screen hits... I am using a generic monitor that runs 60hz at 1024x768, and my video card is a Kyro 2. Is this more likely to be a monitor problem or a video card problem?
    It's more likely the monitor. Please give us a model number on the monitor, or better still, the FCC ID number. The FCC has an on-line database to identify equipment. The number parses this way: the first three characters are the manufacturer code, the remainder is the model number as submitted. There is no such thing as a "generic" monitor; if it was sold in the USA, FCC rules say that it has to be traceable to a manufacturer. Also, how old is it? Unless it's 10 years old, it will support more than 60 Hz at 1024 x 768.

S/N

Thx for the information about the config file for Red Hat, but it is no longer on this system, nor do I have the disk space. As for my monitors serial number, it is as follows: BRN022B00775
    It is an Arcus (A brand I've never even heard of) and its model number
    is: DF-556 AA
    As for age of the monitor, I got it when the Pentium 3 was first released. ....So I would have to guess....three years now? Something along those lines. Nothing archaic at least.

Re: S/N

Thx for the information about the config file for Red Hat, but it is no longer on this system, nor do I have the disk space. As for my monitors serial number, it is as follows: BRN022B00775
    It is an Arcus (A brand I've never even heard of) and its model number
    is: DF-556 AA
    As for age of the monitor, I got it when the Pentium 3 was first released. ....So I would have to guess....three years now? Something along those lines. Nothing archaic at least.
    Google has here's a couple of pages from the search:

http://www.monitor-drivers.com/drivers/17/17895.htm
    http://www.computersnme.com/monitors.htm

Check in these links and see if you can find the proper settings for your monitor and use the expert cheat code to enter them.

Interesting for Kyro Card Owners

This is interesting. I pulled my Kyro II card out of my dual boot computer because I fellt it was not supported by Linux.

I have Knoppix installed to my HD.

I reinstalled it after I upgraded Knoppix to v. 3.7 but had no luck. The computer never got into GUI mode. It just stopped with a message that said something about the current video was not in the default configuration.

I have not actually tried to install the Linux PowerVR drivers I have seen on their website.

Perhaps I will. The caveat is that no Linux drivers will ever be available for this card beyond the 2.4 kernel.

So, maybe there is no point.

Right now I'm running my highly overclockable Voodoo3 card.

sakiZ