Thread: Knoppix 9.0.0 is out ...

Moderator Moderator

Knoppix 9.0.0 is out ...

Hello,
    Knoppix 9.0.0 is out. Thank you Klaus !
    No idea how to get my hands on it though ...
    With the travel ban and CA is not really close to Germany anyway.
    Stay healthy,
    Gilles

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix900.html

Senior Member registered user
    Thank you for the information.
    Debian has also released a Stretch 9.12 as a security update.
    Already downloaded and using Knoppix 8.6.1. It won't be feasible to download the latest release. However, when the Knoppix reaches the end cycle of Buster, then that ISO shall be downloaded.
    Once again, thank you for the good news.
    Regards,
    Rajib

Moderator Moderator

Knoppix 9 dual boot from iso on win 10 ntfs nvme partition.

Hi Klaus,
    I hope my email finds you and your loved one healthy and happy.
    I am just sharing some findings that you may be interested in adding into your next Knoppix release. I finally managed to dual boot natively Knoppix 9 from the iso image located in the Win 10 ntfs partition of the nvme ssd drive of my new machine and that was more complicated than I initially thought. Most of my problems came from the outdated version of busybox in the initrd which 1) was not seeing the large (>255) major device nodes and 2) could not see the content of the mounted ntfs partition because it was too large. After recompiling a standalone version of busybox with the proper options (and there is quite a few of them that matter) I also had to update the init boot script to replace all the "let" bash calls by "$(eval )" because I could not figure out how you got busybox to recognize that "let" applet. Finally I also had to add a couple lines in the init script to add the missing device nodes for the nvme partitions because udev is not yet running to discover them in the early stages of the boot. BTW, I also added support to boot from mmc cards which are available on most new laptops. If you are interested I will be more than happy to share my updated initrd which contains the new: init script, busybox and also some missing kernel modules (fuse, virtual machines hardware and all network cards support).
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k900/minirt_900.gz
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k900/minirt_900.tgz

kernel /linux64 bootfrom=/dev/nvme0n1p2/[bB][oO][oO][tT]/k900/*.iso myconf=scan ...
    initrd /minirt_900.gz
    Last edited by ruymbeke; 06-22-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Good, but from where can we get iso image - Corona Lockout

Can you share the Ver 9 - EN iso image, know it is huge, but will be useful for knoppix users.

U can use sourceforge or google drive.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    Hi Klaus,
    I am just sharing some findings that you may be interested in adding into your next Knoppix release. I finally managed to dual boot natively Knoppix 9 from the iso image located in the Win 10 ntfs partition of the nvme ssd drive of my new machine and that was more complicated than I initially thought. Most of my problems came from the outdated version of busybox in the initrd which 1) was not seeing the large (>255) major device nodes and 2) could not see the content of the mounted ntfs partition because it was too large. After recompiling a standalone version of busybox with the proper options (and there is quite a few of them that matter) I also had to update the init boot script to replace all the "let" bash calls by "$(eval )" because I could not figure out how you got busybox to recognize that "let" applet. Finally I also had to add a couple lines in the init script to add the missing device nodes for the nvme partitions because udev is not yet running to discover them in the early stages of the boot. BTW, I also added support to boot from mmc cards which are available on most new laptops. If you are interested I will be more than happy to share my updated initrd which contains the new: init script, busybox and also some missing kernel modules (fuse, virtual machines hardware and all network cards support).
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

kernel /linux64 bootfrom=/dev/nvme0n1p2/[bB][oO][oO][tT]/k900/*.iso myconf=scan ...
    initrd /minirt_900.gz

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    Hi Klaus,
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

initrd /minirt_900.gz
    Great!
    Seems to me that this should be merged into the standard distro if it isn't already?
    Would be nice to have the busybox updating recipe too, plus possibly just the patched init script.

Hello folks,

with Knoppix 9.0 >>
    the (busyBox) Shell script /sbin/shutdown' tells you, that
    'shutdown -r' now is possible only with command
    'shutdown reboot', but reboot doesn't work
    (it does lead to 'poweroff').

because i always do shutdown
    via PuTTY, i missed this feature
    really (with tears in my eyes)

many greetings,
    Fred