Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New version 2003-09-05

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by MattT
    experimental 3.3 prerelease
    Here we go again. Seems like people were just getting over the switch from 3.1 to 3.2 not too long ago.

cloop 1.02 (block layer rewrite)
    Could someone please explain what this means to average Knoppix user.
    Thanks
    I hope the rewrite would allow KNOPPIX on NTFS as well as preparing for the 2.6 kernel and solving a reported problem with 2.4.22 kernel(seems to be so as it is included in the new build). This would be the one must have enhancement if that is what I expected.

Is KDE 3.1.3 included? And other packageupdates?

Junior Member registered user
    garyng,

There may be some confusion. According to http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ Linux still does not fully support NTFS writing. 2.5.x and 2.6 will have better read support, but still have limited write support (same file, not file size changes)

I think to improve NTFS support we needto help out http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

Quote Originally Posted by asjones
    garyng,

There may be some confusion. According to http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ Linux still does not fully support NTFS writing. 2.5.x and 2.6 will have better read support, but still have limited write support (same file, not file size changes)

I think to improve NTFS support we needto help out http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
    I didn't mean write support but able to put KNOPPIX(the big cloop file) on a NTFS partition. Right now, it is not possible(at least for me) using the stock driver as either it segment fault when insmod cloop.o file=/mnt/NTFS/KNOPPIX or stall later when accessed. This seems to be related to how the block reading code in cloop.

Why not get rid of NTFS all together! Wipe all your drives of this scourge on the world of personal computing!! Let us remove this god forsaken M$ WINDOZE virus from all PCs within our reach, say I!!!

Baring that, just reinstall on VFAT32...

Revolting,

Member registered user
    Na NTFS is cool, it's Windows that's crap. Don't confuse the two.

Q

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Why not get rid of NTFS all together! Wipe all your drives of this scourge on the world of personal computing!! Let us remove this god forsaken M$ WINDOZE virus from all PCs within our reach, say I!!!

Revolting,
    On many machine(new especially), NTFS is the only fs that comes installed with XP and takes up the whole HD. Removing it means XP would be gone which is too radical a change for many people. I am pretty happy with the poorman's install way of running KNOPPIX/linux and it is a much better way to have linux to be having a chance on average desktop. Of course, I always have a large enough FAT32 as C: which is a rule I set to myself dated back from my old days of running OS/2, NT, 95/3.1 all on the same machine. I agree with you though that FAT is a must have on any HD.

Quote Originally Posted by garyng

Revolting,
    On many machine(new especially), NTFS is the only fs that comes installed with XP and takes up the whole HD. Removing it means XP would be gone which is too radical a change for many people. I am pretty happy with the poorman's install way of running KNOPPIX/linux and it is a much better way to have linux to be having a chance on average desktop. Of course, I always have a large enough FAT32 as C: which is a rule I set to myself dated back from my old days of running OS/2, NT, 95/3.1 all on the same machine. I agree with you though that FAT is a must have on any HD.

Well actually...You can use Partion Magic (such a wonderful Utility) to Resize that partion in XP so you could shrink your main partition. Then add another with the left over space or let the knoppix installer do it.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm
    ~y $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Cypherz
    Well actually...You can use Partion Magic (such a wonderful Utility) to Resize that partion in XP so you could shrink your main partition. Then add another with the left over space or let the knoppix installer do it.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pmdetails.cfm
    ~y $0.02
    Well because I am in the process of switching to free as freedom as well as free lunch, buying something else(XP usually comes with the machine, which is not a negociable item) is against this

qtparted is supposed to be able to do the same, btw.

OK, I downloaded 20030905 because I really wanted to try the new toram cheat to speed things up. I just burned and booted the new CD and find it slow booting and sluggish to use. Am I just spoiled with my hdinstall? Anyone else find this CD slow? I haven't tried toram yet as my home PC doesn't have enough ram, but my PCs at school do!
    I guess I was spoiled, this CD works great in my lab! I just used it to do a Poor Man Dual Boot and, Houston, we've got sound!! Alleluia!!!

Regards,

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast