Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New version 2003-09-05

KNoppix 2003-09-05 Bitttorrent

Torrent:
    http://www.interlix.com/torrents/KNO...EN.iso.torrent

Tracker:
    http://www.interlix.com:6969/

P.S. I'll try to keep the torrent going as long as possible. The tracker is mine, email me if it isn't working. Please seed if you can.

Senior Member registered user
    Another problem with FAT32 on an XP box, is that XP has a maximum size of 32 MB for FAT32 partitions, which is generally much smaller than the size of the drive on newer machines, and the maximum file size is 4 gig. OK, so you say partition it. But the problem there is that many of us with XP computers are using them for such things as video editing, and burning DVDs of home movies. One video capture file for burning a DVD can be about 25 gig, with another 20-25 gig needed for the AVI file, before you're ready to start converting to MPEG and burning DVDs. For that kind of storage real estate, a bunch of chunked-up FAT32 partitions won't cut it, and the files are too big to be saved in FAT32 (again, for WinXP). There is a very real, and very legitimate need for XP users to use NTFS, and this is only one example.

Sure, it's an MS WinXP problem, but if your video editing and burning software are Windows applications, then you have to live within those limitations. With drives getting bigger and files getting bigger, it's a problem that won't go away. If Linux wants to win converts from XP users, it had better find a way to deal with NTFS, because yammering on about how much better FAT32 is than NTFS (and I'm still not convinced of this, BTW - I see the inability of Linux to deal with NTFS as a Linux problem, not an NTFS problem, IMNSHO) won't make the sale.

ehm... how to use bittorrent in linux? I installed the package, but cant finde an executable and it doesnt work in Konqueror...

Of course the ntfs-thingie is an Linuxproblem, its just (intentionally) created by m$. And they wont help the linux-community making a good ntfs-reading/writing kernel. I guess, as soon as linux fully works with NTFS they will introduce NTFS2 or whatever... So we have to find out how THAT works... Poor basterds, they'll loose anyway - everybody's gonna hate them more and more...

Member registered user
    bonus with cloop1.0.2 now allows mounting 3 more compressed_image
    with the cloop.o inserted !!!!

This solves the use cloop-mini1 ...to cloop-mini3 in morphix mini_module_stuff

The way to win converts is to show users of such huge drives and huge files that there' s Linux alternatives apps that are as good or even better than those on WINXP and run them on native Linux file systems, IMHO.

Regards,

What Linux app can I use to capture and edit video from my camcorder over an IEEE1394 connection, convert to MPEG and burn to DVD+R? I'd be glad to hear of one if it exists, especially if it's better, because Studio 8 cost me abt $100, even with rebates.

My point, though, is that there are legitimately WinXP users who cannot use FAT32 - it's not an option, and Linux is going to have to adapt to NTFS for those of us in that boat. BTW, Superstoned is absolutely right that MS is expected to change the filesystem again with the Longhorn release, so the benefit of accommodating NTFS may be short-lived. The good news, though is that it's MS, so they keep pushing the release date farther and farther back.

Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    What Linux app can I use to capture and edit video from my camcorder over an IEEE1394 connection, convert to MPEG and burn to DVD+R? I'd be glad to hear of one if it exists, especially if it's better, because Studio 8 cost me abt $100, even with rebates.

My point, though, is that there are legitimately WinXP users who cannot use FAT32 - it's not an option, and Linux is going to have to adapt to NTFS for those of us in that boat. BTW, Superstoned is absolutely right that MS is expected to change the filesystem again with the Longhorn release, so the benefit of accommodating NTFS may be short-lived. The good news, though is that it's MS, so they keep pushing the release date farther and farther back.
    A lot of people think that Longhorn will use a new file system, but that's really incorrect. It will use NTFS. The only difference will be that Longhorn will use WFS (Windows Future Storage). WFS is a database service that runs on top of and requires NTFS and that supposedly improves file searching and navigation.

Member registered user
    Another problem with FAT32 on an XP box, is that XP has a maximum size of 32 MB for FAT32 partitions, ...
    A minor point, but Microsoft hard-coded Win2K and WinXP to not allow you to *create* FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB. These OSes have no problem using larger FAT32 partitions. You just have to create them with another OS or third-party tools.

-SUO

Junior Member registered user

UDF support a must for KNOPPIX

Hi all Knoppix users!

Imagine booting up the KNOPPIX CD, writing a document, saving it to your home directory or downloading stuff to your home directory, right click the file and click "write to CD" from the list that appears and everything is written to the CDRW media using Linux_UDF

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast