Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: commands to mount and boot the iso from the floppy

Member registered user

commands to mount and boot the iso from the floppy

hi there,

i was showing a mate the knoppix cd but his bios is protected with a password so we couldnt set his machine to boot from the cd.

my friends computer is his only one and he uses it to run his small business so i didnt want to start pulling batteries out or running password delete utilities from boot disks, just in case something went wrong .

ive got the boot floppy but when it booted, it didnt detect his cd roms and didnt start the knoppix cd. the floppy just booted to the knoppix# prompt.

i guess there are commands that i can use to start the knoppix iso from the floppy disk. i did a search in the forum but had no joy, couldnt work that one out either.

anyway, can someone tell me what are the commannd to

1. mount the cd rom from the floppy knoppix# prompt
    2. start the knoppix iso from the floppy knoppix# prompt

a thousand thankyou's

reece

Senior Member registered user

Re: commands to mount and boot the iso from the floppy

--Search the forum for "Poor man's install" where you copy the CD data to HD.

Quote Originally Posted by reecegeorge
    hi there,

i was showing a mate the knoppix cd but his bios is protected with a password so we couldnt set his machine to boot from the cd.

my friends computer is his only one and he uses it to run his small business so i didnt want to start pulling batteries out or running password delete utilities from boot disks, just in case something went wrong .

ive got the boot floppy but when it booted, it didnt detect his cd roms and didnt start the knoppix cd. the floppy just booted to the knoppix# prompt.

i guess there are commands that i can use to start the knoppix iso from the floppy disk. i did a search in the forum but had no joy, couldnt work that one out either.

anyway, can someone tell me what are the commannd to

1. mount the cd rom from the floppy knoppix# prompt
    2. start the knoppix iso from the floppy knoppix# prompt

a thousand thankyou's

reece

Member registered user
    Thanks for your reply,

I dont mean to sound unappreciative for your reply, as so far, it seems like you are the only person who has even attemted to answer my question. But did you post to the wrong question?

Or is my question unclear?

just in case it is unclear, let me put it another way.

1. Can I boot the knoppix CD from a floppy disk? either a linux,dos, freedos floppy, i would prefer to use the floppy image that comes with knoppix but it dosnt really matter what one i use.

2. what commands do i use to mount and boot the knoppix CD from a floppy disk? (on one particular machine, the CD didnt start automatically from the floppy so i need the commands to do it manually)

kind regards,

reece

Member registered user
    the boot.img file on the Knoppix cd should be used to make the boot disk and that should find the CD. Or atleast it does on one of my systems. One thing to try is to wait until the boot finishs with the first kernel load( where there's a bunch of ........'s ) and then push the CDROM into the computer. It might still be spinning up when the boot sequence scans for the CDROM device.

That's all I can help you with. Good luck.

Member registered user
    Thanks for your help locutus,

yes, i know what you mean about the floppy booting the CD on most systems, it does that on my system.

my problem was that it didint do it on my friends system, couldnt get into his bios either. ime going to give up trying to boot knoppix on his machine. he can get the password for the bios first so i can see if the cd is set to boot. his my friend but ime not going to do all his work for him.

i was just trying to work around the problem.

i still dont know why the floppy disk didnt boot the CD on his machine. the floppy just booted to the command prompt.

i attempted to open the files on the boot floppy to see what commands were going on inside but had no joy there.

well it may just be one of those things, eh?

reece

any ideas will still be appreciated.

just copy \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX from CD to C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX assume C: is FAT and remove the CD when you boot again.

Member registered user
    just copy \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX from CD to C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX assume C: is FAT and remove the CD when you boot again.
    the old filesystem in a file on the HD trick. Good one and might work for this guy if the HD is recognized( might not if the CD isn't ). It got me to thinking, could the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file be expanded when installed on the HD? ie, could extra space in the filesystem be created for RW capablilities? Persistance could very easily exist then without all the commandline boot options and it would all be nicely stored in one big filesystem in a file for those who need to hurt themselves by running MS Windows.

Member registered user
    stick the swap file in there too. sounds clean and professional.

Quote Originally Posted by locutus
    the old filesystem in a file on the HD trick. Good one and might work for this guy if the HD is recognized( might not if the CD isn't ). It got me to thinking, could the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file be expanded when installed on the HD? ie, could extra space in the filesystem be created for RW capablilities? Persistance could very easily exist then without all the commandline boot options and it would all be nicely stored in one big filesystem in a file for those who need to hurt themselves by running MS Windows.
    Yes, it can be done. I am running it this way(though not from KNOPPIX but built from woody). Should be similar for KNOPPIX. all one need is a simiple miniroot.gz which do something like the following :

mount /dev/hda1 /host_hd
    losetup /dev/loop0 /host_hd/KNOPPIX_expanded

and in the /etc/fstab

/dev/loop0 / auto default 0,0

and it would be a standard debian system in every aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by reecegeorge
    stick the swap file in there too. sounds clean and professional.
    For swap, I just use the page file created by window, sharing the same space, as my notebook is running low on disk space.

And I also symlink the TTF files(from window) to make them available when boot under linux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast