Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KnoppixQuake - bootable Quake Team Fortress server

Senior Member registered user
    I'm including the q3a and ut multiplayer demo's in the next gamemodule-release (hopefully tomorrow, else the day after). Throw in a few loki-demo's and it'll get quite bloated, but should serve as a nice way to waste some time

Don't know however if the demos also include multiplayer servers, then again i have still to fix the nvidia driver-option too so it would actually be useful to include...

Having the clients in a local repository is a nice idea, personally i think some opensource multiplayer games are great too (freeciv, *tron, xshipwars) but i don't know how cross-platform they are...

Well, we can't install anything in the lab we use, that's why we're using the KNOPPIX CD. So PLEASE, no M$ WINDOZE stuff!!!

Making one CD with the server and client and ftp is a great idea. Then people with a regular KNOPPIX CD can simply download the client to the ramdisk and run it from there, right?

Alex, your next gamemod with Q3 and UT sounds fantastic!

My students are dying for some kind of a decent multiplayer LAN Party! So bring it on!!

Yes, I'm a professor now, but I was a GameMaster first....

Junior Member registered user

just a tip for the next version

The tricky part is we can't put the client of all the games desired in the CD whitough breaking some laws (this would be piracy software, isn't it? isn't it?), but quake and quake2 are already on the opensource (cough, cough) so we can put them on the CD. Since this is the first try I think the idea of putting the client too wasn't expected, since you need the game files and those aren't on the free domain.

The trully good idea whould be putting the servers AND the client, with Xfree and a *minimun* GUI, so the clients could be launched. This way, you boot the cd, get the game files (maps, textures,...) from somewere else and get the server or the client up and running. It may be possible to include in the CD abuse, doom 1&2, Heretic, Hexen, Quake1&2 as client and server, and HL (all mods included, CStrike too ), and others as server only. There are some opensource multiplayer games arround that would fit the CD perfectly, too. I'm sure there are lots of clients more for other actual games, the problem may be to put the CD to detect 3d cards and get them to work with the clients.

And please, please, P.L.E.A.S.E., put the url on a new thread easilly visible when you get the iso ready to download because I really want to test it, and some friends of mine too. Oldskool Quake LAN party in the free time between classes, withought installing anything...

Well, about the legal issue: using demo's isn't illegal imho, and my game-module uses demo's . It would be piracy to include the complete version, then again loading X00MB of data would be a bit rough on the loadtime and RAM requirements.

This has actually been done some time ago, however! the gentoo-team built a liveCD with the ut2003 demo on it last year, was a nice test but the project has all but died. They DID however show that liveCD-gaming is really possible, too bad they didn't work it out more though...

the demo's have a built-in server, but the current gamemodule is more or less client-only (with icewm and XFree, did you take a look at it? ) Getting the commercial add-on's would be do-able, but messy (i'm a purist, everything should work out-of-the-box ). Detecting 3D videocards is pretty reasonable for DRI-supported cards now, working on an nvidia-mod but this is taking more time than i thought.

And all iso's for morphix can be downloaded @ ftp://dl.xs4all.nl/pub/mirror/drupal/Morphix 3D gaming is broken, but i'm taking my time to fix all bugs in the new version. hoped to upload it today, but more realistic will be somewhere next week. OldSkool liveCD Quaking will rock... soon

i have noticed that some of you have CS server isos.... can i manager to get one from somebody?

I just looked up the gentoo ut2003 iso at

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20020922-ut2k3.xml

but I can't download the file

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/...i586-1.4.1.iso

are these files still hosted?

Regards,

CS / DOD / Q2CTF / Q3 Ded Servers Done

Completed these ded servers. Let me know where i can post the tar balls. Of course I will have to remove the licensed PAK / WAD files and you will have to add your own.

CS Dedicated Server

Knoppixquake et al. I have completed a new build of a dedicated CS / Day of Defeat server. This includes custom cs maps downloaded from www.cs-maps.co.uk. The server is looking good but the tarball (compressed) is about 475MB. I have not mastered a cd before, so I'm asking this...can it be fitted into the morphix cd

bloodmire, let me know when this is running.. I want to get my hands on a bootable server for CS, and UT2k3, but I dont know how to remaster...

hey bloodmire, see if you can send me some more details (or, even better, put up the tarball so i can download it). I'll see if i can throw it in a minimodule (don't worry, i'll make a standalone iso, saw that people were worried about the complexity of morphix )

This could be a good test of how flexible morphix really has gotten, so i don't mind giving it a try and putting some time in it. However, i'm no CS-er, so you'll all have to check out how good it works

I might have to slim down a tad on the maps so that it can be included with light, or i could try out a CS-server only iso without any GUI stuff. You make the call, i'll check out if it'll work

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast