Thread: new Knoppix version optimized for distant learning?

Member registered user

new Knoppix version optimized for distant learning?

Hi. I have an old laptop 2 GB ram, T2500 CPU.
    It was working fine with Win XP. But by no reason XP is no longer useful.
    I used win 7. Unfortunately laptop went too slow.
    Then I tried Knoppix 8.6. It worked with acceptable speed.
    I had intention to use this laptop for distance education - for zoom, google meet, discord and ms teams.
    I started with ms teams and what happened?
    It seem that Microsoft actively prevents using windows software on linux.
    For example ms teams web app did not start. There was many login errors, and after log in , there was ridiculous message: "we could not log you in". And when i try to log in again there was message: "you are already logged in".
    I try to install ms teams for linux. Windows installer takes minutes to download , but linux package took 1 hour. So microsoft actively restricts download speed for linux packages.
    In knoppix with .rpm there was error in synaptic package manager. With .deb there was message that package is for amd64 but knoppix is i386. It seems that knoppix start 64 bit kernel , but all other libraryes are still 32 bit. And that made using of ms teams impossible.
    So i was unable to use knoppix for distant learning. I believe using of Knoppix for distant learning is possible, but unfortunately i have no necessary skills to make it by my self.
    And i think it is good idea to make special knoppix distribution specialized and optimized for distant learning and conferencing.
    So what do you think?

Thanks
    Best regards.

Knoppix is not 64bit OS, it is a 32bit OS. Although some commands shows that it is:
    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ lscpu | grep Architecture
    Architecture:        x86_64
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ uname -a
    Linux unknown 5.3.5-64 #16 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 23 02:08:38 CEST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ arch
    x86_64
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
    But the above results are false, maybe because "knoppix64" is also a "false" 64bit mode. Its role is only (if I am well informed) to support big size memories. The "truth":
    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ file /sbin/init/
    sbin/init: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=63e36b249ae01d0a8b4af3ae2689bd5463b86bdb, stripped
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ dpkg --print-architecture 
    i386
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ getconf LONG_BIT
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
    So, do not try to install 64bit applications, it is impossible in Knoppix. And MS Teams has only 64bit installer. Unfortunately, more and more applications have only 64bit installers nowdays...
    But even for a 32bit package, it is not 100% sure that you can install it, because Knoppix is made up from more Debian versions, and could be a conflict with a new app install. I recommend to install a new app first in live mode and if it was OK you can install it in persistence mode.

RPM: Knoppix is based on Debian, you have to use DEB packages for installation. RPM packages are for other distros (e.g. OpenSuse).

Softwares: Debian/Knoppix has a lot of apps. I do not use "distant learning and conferencing" apps, but should be there such applications, too. Before trying to install something in Knoppix make sure that it has not an app that can accomplish what you want. It is very likely that such software is already installed there...
    Last edited by szzsqing1; 11-18-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Hi ialtaparmakov

I am not sure to well understand your project.
    Some observations nevertheless (I am not vey acquainted!).

1- Why do you want to MIX tools fairly dedicated for
    windows_system with a fairly different OS_System_LINUX?

2- Knoppix offers the program "Wine" which does not work
    for all Win32 programs!
    Please have a look on the "Wine" web site...

3- Plese look at other forums namely "windows ones"

4- If you have Windows_XP (or /and Win_7) I guess that
    your laptop may be not only old but "VERY OLD" like
    oneof mine!
    The processor is fairly "OUDATED" for "modern" programs.
    "Unfortunately" that is the trend of "tecnology (ies)"
    and of "THE" "progress"...
    You cannot expect well doing "New Things" with such a
    processor...It was my unfortunate experience.

Courage , patience and good luck for your difficult project
    as I have understood it.

I am very rarely connected to the forum.

Greetings

knp

Did you try simply "join with browser" for Zoom? There's no requirement to download or install an app in that case, IIRC. You can also use the ZOOM test website to test your hardware/software/OS combination at https://zoom.us/test

Member registered user
    Hi KNP. Thank you for your reply and for your compassion.
    1- i can not understand. The purpose of OS is to serve users and to make them fill comfortable. At least this was the purpose of the OS in the earlier era...When the people was honest ... So what happen now? I have to accommodate to the OS? And to think if my needs are compatible with tne OS i use? No! I just want to find OS that will serve me better. But in modern times seems that user serves the owner of the OS. So no MIX. There is just needs... Which actually become a way to force me to make things i do not want... And to make someone else richer and richer.

2- wine... wine become a vinegar... I am not very optimistic about wine. It had success. It seemed that just few more steps and we will have real alternative os that will run windows applications. By the way - I (perhaps we) use windows not because i love it , or love Bill Gates, or love their nasty policy against the users. I use windows because of programs that run on it. So wine was a big hope of alternative... But what happened? Something happened, and now wine is cycling in one place... And there is no hope any more.

3- I write earlier: knoppix did better than windows on this ancient laptop. That's why i write here. As far as i know , there is no way to make optimized for distant learning live version of windows. Perhaps there are another live versions of linux (slack, quantain, kanotix etc.). But i love Knoppix most. And the latest live cd for education is from 2016. Even then (before mas distant (un)learning) there was need for specialized live cd for education. Now it is far more needed. I hoped knoppix would help in this.

4- ancient hardware... i am more than 20 years old - so i am ancient hardware too... going to landfill...

Why i am using mostly m$ teams? not zoom or others? It is interesting story. Few years ago M$ threaten government of my country that M$ will inflict sanctions on our country because of piracy. And our government agreed to pay for mass license of M$ products. As a compensation of the piracy in my country. As time passed our government continue to pay , but access to M$ products ceases. And one of products payed by our government is M$ teams. And all the schools in my country use M$teams. That's why i was asking for teams on knoppix. By the way , do you think that if M$ can force a government to pay , M$ will not force some little team of developers to stop developing... wine for example... or sharp develop, or mono develop (for windows), or gnumeric or more and more and more... By the way the latest windows version of gnumeric was little bit better than M$ excel ... and then gnumerric developers stopped development for windows , claiming that: "Effectively immediately we have stopped releasing and distributing binaries for Windows. There are too many crashes that have all the signs of being from Gtk+ and lower parts of the stack. We do not have the means and time to debug Gtk+. Volunteers are welcome to take up the effort."
    As if Gtk+ developers are not concerned in debugging "...crashes that have all the signs of being from Gtk+ and lower parts of the stack."
    And it is strange: open source developers , neglect and dislike open source ... of other developers... Suddenly... How we could trust open source at all?

What a wonderful M$ world...

Knoppix is still an island in the ocean ... But how long?

Thanks for you reply and for you compassion.
    Best regards.